`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
White Plains, NY Card Show Jan 18-20

White Plains, NY Card Show Jan 18-20
Not always the most exciting shows but have been to a few and the Jan one was def the best. Anyone in the NY area planning on going? I will likely be there on Saturday afternoon to make some subs and look for some MJs

http://www.nyshows.org/

RE: White Plains, NY Card Show Jan 18-20
Keep a look out for Gerald Henderson for me please. I was born in White Plains! 51 West Lake Dr.!
My family owns The LockHouse.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

I did the drive once from Queens, it's pretty damn far. This was awhile ago, btw. When I got there, all the "free" parking was taken and I had to pay $5 to park in a lot, how wonderful. Not to mention the gas money and toll money (BTW, I just heard our brilliant Mayor just raised all bridge tolls up $5, WOO, how fun it is to be a resident here!). Then I had to pay the ticket fee to get in, which was I think $7 or $8.

I didn't buy any cards. The 1 card that did interest me was a Cousins RPA from NT. The patch was s-i-c-k, it had the Kings crown on it.

..So, as I made my way around the whole show and come to the last tables there was like a charity booth. Yeah, I told them how much "fun" and the money I had to spend to get there. How about me gettin' some charity! Haha, they laughed. I was just trying to laugh about the situation that I drove all the way here and didn't see a card I wanted or buy a single card.

So, I made my way to the restroom. As I'm coming out now, I randomly see a vintage Knicks poster in a sports memorabilia booth. It had Frazier, Barnett, DeBusschere, Bradley & Reed on it. I guess the original owner or kid who had it on his wall wrote the names of each player under their pictures. I thought that was pretty neat. Haggled with the owner and I bought it. Took it to my LCS, had them professionally frame it and it's on my wall.

Smile
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

(01-10-2013, 11:20 AM)vgqv Wrote: I did the drive once from Queens, it's pretty damn far. This was awhile ago, btw. When I got there, all the "free" parking was taken and I had to pay $5 to park in a lot, how wonderful. Not to mention the gas money and toll money (BTW, I just heard our brilliant Mayor just raised all bridge tolls up $5, WOO, how fun it is to be a resident here!). Then I had to pay the ticket fee to get in, which was I think $7 or $8.

I didn't buy any cards. The 1 card that did interest me was a Cousins RPA from NT. The patch was s-i-c-k, it had the Kings crown on it.

..So, as I made my way around the whole show and come to the last tables there was like a charity booth. Yeah, I told them how much "fun" and the money I had to spend to get there. How about me gettin' some charity! Haha, they laughed. I was just trying to laugh about the situation that I drove all the way here and didn't see a card I wanted or buy a single card.

So, I made my way to the restroom. As I'm coming out now, I randomly see a vintage Knicks poster in a sports memorabilia booth. It had Frazier, Barnett, DeBusschere, Bradley & Reed on it. I guess the original owner or kid who had it on his wall wrote the names of each player under their pictures. I thought that was pretty neat. Haggled with the owner and I bought it. Took it to my LCS, had them professionally frame it and it's on my wall.

Smile
That is an awesome story. From Queens you might have been better, and way cheaper taking the trains. I am in lower Manhattan and I just shoot the Metro North there. Takes maybe 15 minutes if you get the express.

The Jan show was the best last year IMO. I had just gotten back into collecting and was putting together the 86-87 Fleer set.I was hyped to go to a show and despite a night of heavy drinking with the lady, woke up and dragged her to White Plains hungover in a snow storm. Ended up finding a binder of commons/semistars so was pretty good.

Show is usually hit or miss but for modern there is a good amount of nice raw cards. Not my thing but still fun to be at an old school show. Cal Ripkin Jr is signing sat so that should bring the better dealers.

Anyone ends up going shoot me a PM. Always fun to meet other collectors.

those tolls are nuts. It cost like $50 to go to the airport and back last time i was there. unreal. Nc is now starting to put them in. smh.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

(01-10-2013, 11:57 AM)quavis Wrote: those tolls are nuts. It cost like $50 to go to the airport and back last time i was there. unreal. Nc is now starting to put them in. smh.
I try not to get mad at taxis or truck deliveries anymore. I can understand why it costs an arm & a leg to ship something or need a cab-ride somewhere. It's not their fault they charge so high, it's the damn politicians raising costs for them, which raises costs for us.

To the OP, I probably won't go to the upcoming show in White Plains. But it's nice to see a fellow collector from NY here.. welcome!
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

might be a bit of a drive from Greensboro, NC; however, there's a show in Raleigh this weekend. I'll be hitting it up on Saturday while the wifey is at work. Not to hijack the thread, but will anybody be around that show? Smile
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]