`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What card is your pride and joy??

RE: What card is your pride and joy??
(01-06-2013, 09:10 PM)randall44 Wrote: Have had the card for 20 years, finally got it graded last month.

[Image: Scan_Pic0014_zpsa21cb1e3.jpg]
Wow that's a hell of a grade.

Wow some nice stuff here.
Cal Ripken Jr Collection
[url]http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/bigalbert233
2/?[/url]

(01-06-2013, 07:36 PM)mcflysportscards Wrote: This 1992 Classic Ken Griffy Jr Autographed card.
[Image: scan0001_zpsb8a627c4.jpg]

I pulled this card way back in 1992. My Grandmother was in the hospital at the time. She gave my $20 and told me to buy whatever I wanted. Well, after visiting hours, my parents and I went to the mall, where they had a Kay Bee Toy Store. They had a promotion that if you spent $15 on Classic Cards you received a numbered promo sheet. I bout 16 packs, as they were .99 each. And opened 15 of them on the way home and saved the last pack, because at the time I thought the packs were pretty cool. The pack sat unopened for about 20 minutes after we got home. I remember opening the pack and screaming, it was the first time I had ever pulled an autographed card, and with it being my favorite player it was even more amazing. Not long after I opened the pack, we received the call that my Grandmother had passed away.
OK. You win for the most touching and heartfelt story. You even made me tear up and that's not easy to do, since along with all my other ailments, I have clogged tear ducts.
(01-06-2013, 09:10 PM)randall44 Wrote: Have had the card for 20 years, finally got it graded last month.

[Image: Scan_Pic0014_zpsa21cb1e3.jpg]
Are you mad that SGC labeled it wrong?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(01-07-2013, 09:28 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: OK. You win for the most touching and heartfelt story. You even made me tear up and that's not easy to do, since along with all my other ailments, I have clogged tear ducts.

Are you mad that SGC labeled it wrong?
Ok I'll bite, is it the 1910 instead of 1909-1911. A quick google search sees them labelled as 1909, 1910, 1911.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=t206+sgc&h...80&bih=933
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

I've posted this before on similar threads. I have autographed cards of my favorite players and one of ones, awesome inserts, die-cuts, bat cards, jersey cards and cards with hats, pants, bases, outfield walls, bleacher seats and vintage cards valued in the thousands but this is my pride and joy.

When this card fell out of my Corn Flakes box into my cereal bowl back in the summer of 1970, I was hooked and never looked back. This was my first of over 350,000 cards and it will be my last after all the others have moved on. This one goes with me when I go. Left shirt pocket. Right over my heart.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Two great stories, mcflysportscards and zeprock.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

McFly, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about ... my grandmother passed away in January 2011.

I live in California and used to spend the summers with her and my grandpa in Michigan when I was a kid, so she was more like a second mother than just a cute little grandma to me when I was growing up.

Nov. 29 is her birthday, and when the first one without her rolled around in Nov. 2011, I was really down.

That morning, my daughter and I stopped at Target to get some syrup for her mini pancakes after we dropped her brother off at school.

I noticed they had one little blaster of Bowman Chrome left, so I bought it, took it home and busted it.

I pulled this:

[Image: Harper1.jpg]

Now, much like your Griffey, you can't tell me for a minute that our grandmas didn't put those cards in there!

Mine is my new one. I don't have a tear jerker like the previous guys, but I do have an awesome wife!

[Image: KoufaxTier1auto001_zps59dac420.jpg]

(01-07-2013, 08:07 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: McFly, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about ... my grandmother passed away in January 2011.

I live in California and used to spend the summers with her and my grandpa in Michigan when I was a kid, so she was more like a second mother than just a cute little grandma to me when I was growing up.

Nov. 29 is her birthday, and when the first one without her rolled around in Nov. 2011, I was really down.

That morning, my daughter and I stopped at Target to get some syrup for her mini pancakes after we dropped her brother off at school.

I noticed they had one little blaster of Bowman Chrome left, so I bought it, took it home and busted it.

I pulled this:

[Image: Harper1.jpg]

Now, much like your Griffey, you can't tell me for a minute that our grandmas didn't put those cards in there!
I agree they did. When my grandpa passed in '09, the next box I bought was '09 Topps 206 and I pulled a Babe Ruth bat card, a David Wright auto, a Lance Berkman printing plate, and a Thurman Munson silk #/50. He definitely put those in!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

ted williams went to the same barbershop i did.. carried this in my wallet for 2 years, hoping to run into him. ted talked baseball with us for a couple hours....this was back in 1987...or 88