`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If At First You Don't Succeed — Trout, Trout Again!

If At First You Don't Succeed — Trout, Trout Again!
Hey guys, a few months back — after some VERY extensive research — I bought a Mike Trout IP auto on the bay.

I then sent it off to PSA to get authenticated, and was very disappointed to get it back three weeks later, unslabbed ...

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1514003.html

However, I was POSITIVE it was legit, so I re-submitted it to BGS/JSA for a second try.

Look what showed up on my doorstep right before Christmas:

[Image: 8343621515_db81aac17a.jpg]

Now, I realize that it's entirely possible that PSA was correct and BGS/JSA was not, but I sure like the second answer better!

Anyway, just wanted to share. Happy New Year!

RE: If At First You Don't Succeed — Trout, Trout Again!
Great job. I would like the second one better too!

(01-03-2013, 10:06 PM)thepozr Wrote: Great job. I would like the second one better too!
Thank you very much ... it was literally an odyssey that began in like mid-August, when I first got the card in the mail.

By the time I submitted it to PSA and waited X number of business days to get it back unslabbed, it was like the third week of September.

I finally decided to re-submit it to BGS/JSA and sent it out on Sept. 27 — I realized after I sent it out that the date is Trout's jersey number, so I guess it must have been lucky, LOL — and then waited ... and waited ...

Finally, like the first week of November I got a note that my order had been received by BGS, so at that point I was hopeful that it had already gone through the JSA process and just needed to be slabbed.

I waited another month and emailed customer service about it, and about another week later they said it had been shipped.

Then, I realized it would be delivered via sig confirmation on a day I wasn't going to be home, and with the holidays and what not I would have to wait like four more days to get it ... so I gambled, wrote FedEx a note and asked them to put it in my mailbox.

When we got that home that night, the note was gone, but there was nothing in my mailbox.

So after panicking for about 10 seconds I realized they had put it down in the bushes near the doorstep, and finally I had it in my hands.

So yeah, the card itself is sweet, but just looking at it reminds me of all the time and effort I put into getting it.

That is really awesome! Congrats!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(01-04-2013, 01:50 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: That is really awesome! Congrats!
Thank you ... I can't wait for the season to start. It will be interesting to see how "Hambone" fits in with the Halos.

I mean, if he has his usual season, that lineup will be downright scary ...

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but I'm hoping the LA nightlife (compared to Texas) doesn't have any kind of effect on him.

By the way, I should have mentioned this, it's NFT ... I mean, I'd never say never to anything, but I've had a couple of offers so far and just wanted to let everyone know.

Thanks! RJ

The card looks really nice. I got that exact card that I sent him TTM in 2011 when he has with the Arkansas Travelers. It took couple of months to get the card back sign. I am thinking of sending a few TTM autos that I have to get authenticated.

I remember when you posted this a while back and some people expressed skepticism. -To me, it looked legit. Glad you got a good result here.

On a side note, I read the other day (and it's probably a well-known fact to many here) that Michael Jordan IP autos are virtually unauthenticatable due to the fact that his signature changes so much.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(01-05-2013, 11:13 AM)franciscomarina Wrote: The card looks really nice. I got that exact card that I sent him TTM in 2011 when he has with the Arkansas Travelers. It took couple of months to get the card back sign. I am thinking of sending a few TTM autos that I have to get authenticated.
Thank you ... while I was waiting for this card, I actually got a TTM back from him like in late October/early November (sent a 2012 Topps Opening Day card, wasn't going to send in anything valuable, LOL), before the ROY/MVP awards were announced.

I had sent it to the Angels' stadium in like June or July (?), and the envelope was marked "South Jersey," so it was really awesome to see that he cared enough about his fan mail to bring it/send it all home after the season was over.

So, that took the sting out of waiting for the BGS card either way ... and it's funny, comparing them side by side, the "M"s look completely different, and he loops the whole sig all together on the 2012 card and keeps the letters separate on the 2010 card.

So what I'm thinking is, maybe a particular grader at PSA was used to seeing/authenticating one or two versions of his auto and rejecting the rest ... but if you research his certified autos over the last three years, they vary wildly even within the same product.

Oh well, doesn't matter now!
(01-05-2013, 12:40 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I remember when you posted this a while back and some people expressed skepticism. -To me, it looked legit. Glad you got a good result here.

On a side note, I read the other day (and it's probably a well-known fact to many here) that Michael Jordan IP autos are virtually unauthenticatable due to the fact that his signature changes so much.
Thanks man ... I'm tempted to send in a 2007 Calvin Johnson Rookie Premiere auto from Topps ... I didn't pull it myself, but I know it's legit because it's identical to the early Press Pass sigs (really intricate), and doesn't look anything like the really bad fakes on eBay.

But ... although the process eventually worked out for the Trout, it truly was a pain in the a-- waiting and paying for it twice.

I mean, in all, it cost me over $80 for the two gradings and I ended up waiting about 4 months for it.

I don't think I'd be dealing with the same cost/time frame with the Calvin, but I think I'll take a break from the grading scene for a while, LOL