`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
bgs / bvg vs psa.....new collector

bgs / bvg vs psa.....new collector
could members fill me in on beckett / beckett vintage being better than psa for grading....newer graded collector and need your opinions as to bgs and bvg. is pricing same for bgs and bvg? I am leaning toward beckett for graded cards..please help thank you

RE: bgs / bvg vs psa.....new collector
(01-03-2013, 05:41 PM)toyguru64 Wrote: could members fill me in on beckett / beckett vintage being better than psa for grading....newer graded collector and need your opinions as to bgs and bvg. is pricing same for bgs and bvg? I am leaning toward beckett for graded cards..please help thank you
Yes, Pricing for BGS and BVG are the same. Back at the start, it used to cost more for the BVG Service, though. But the 2 Services cost the same now.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I find Beckett grades are harder to earn. Thus, a "9" from PSA may not get that high of a grade from Beckett. I like Beckett, myself, because I believe the grades are more accurate. This is just my own opinion, though.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I prefer the look of the beckett slabs over the others, if that helps. I've only had my cards graded through Beckett, so I can't compare scores, but from everyone I've talked to, Beckett is a harder grade to get.

I too, prefer BGS/BVG to PSA. I've crossed PSA 10's over to BGS/BVG and I gotten a fair amount of 9.5's, but I've also gotten a fair amount of 9's too. A fellow Nolan Ryan collector that I bought from, crossed PSA 9's over to Beckett and he got BGS 8.5'S & even some 8's.

I've looked and I've noticed that a lot of PSA 10's are off-centered. So I just pass them up.

I was about to ask this question, never really knowing if there was a difference. Also wondering if the cost of the service from both companies are about the same? PSA vs Beckett
Thanks, Mitch
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I prefer the beckett slabs because Ive noticed that on PSA the cards are loose inside the slab so they move around
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(01-04-2013, 07:20 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I was about to ask this question, never really knowing if there was a difference. Also wondering if the cost of the service from both companies are about the same? PSA vs Beckett
Thanks, Mitch
Just by glancing at the other site, PSA appeared to be higher than Beckett.

Personally, I prefer BGS for modern cards mainly because I like the slab the best, but PSA is just as good. The only real big difference is a BGS 10 is a higher grade than a PSA 10. A PSA 10 is equal to a BGS 9.5. Having said that, there is almost zero chance you will get a BGS 10, so it isn't really something you should be thinking about. For vintage cards, PSA = BVG = SGC as far as I'm concerned.

TL;DR: you really can't go wrong with either PSA or BGS.

(01-04-2013, 10:58 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: A PSA 10 is equal to a BGS 9.5.
This is theoretically true, but it's not always the case. Re-read my above comments.