`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHICH WOULD YOU ASK FOR...

WHICH WOULD YOU ASK FOR...
So my wife asked me what I wanted for christmas. So many things went through my head and I really wasn't sure. I sent her a link for a Sandy Koufax auto on clean sweeps site and then we were at the mall and in the memorabilia shop I saw a jumbo replica world series ticket from when Reggie jackson hit 3 homers ('77 or '78...) and it was signed by jackson...pretty cool. Then I was looking for a card online and came a across a 1948 dimaggio leaf that says it was trimmed, but if it was you cannot tell and for the price it's pretty good.....and I feel like i would never be able to afford a really nice one and this one is pretty good....So, I'm making it sound like I have a choice but what would everyone prefer to get? For all I know my wife might get me something else altogether....Merry christmas...!

RE: WHICH WOULD YOU ASK FOR...
Your wife probably doesnt know much and end up getting a box of new cards.
So far, it seems like you collect almost anything and not narrowed your hobby collecting, this can be expensive. I would not buy anything vintage, unless it was graded. So you wont be ripped off.
You can do so much better elsewhere. This past few months, theres been very good auction sites with really cool stuff for sale. Net54 have very keen sight and good info on collecting. Pass on all this other stuff.
Collecting ROOKIE CARDS 40-60's, 25 Gehrig, fancraze-wagner

Hi
Actually I have a very extensive vintage and autograph collection. I rarely buy anything but vintage and have a large collection of goudeys. I also have autographs from DiMaggio to jeter. Clean sweep auctions is a very respected site for vintage collectors and I was planning on sending it to sgc with the other forty cards I am gonna send that are all vintage. I've actually been collecting for nearly 30 years and I feel my collection is pretty narrowed and I realize its expensive as I've spent a pretty good penny on my collection.i have the entire 56 topps set including 2 mantles and the entire 38 goudey heads up set.... No offense just letting you know I am no novice collector...
Oh and my wife makes pretty good choices in what she buys me because I usually tell her what I need or want... She just doesn't but any old box of cards... She know I collect vintage and autos
Happy holidays

I'd go with the Koufax auto with a COA.

The DiMaggio card would be great if it were not trimmed unless it's really inexpensive. It may look great but really diminishes the value and any potential for appreciation.

The Jackson auto would be good if you are big Reggie fan. I actually have a real stub in my display case, having gone to the game in '77, Section 14, Row M, Seat 6, upper deck between home and third, closer to home. Great feat but not great when you're a Red Sox fan pulling for the Dodgers like I was.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Thanks for your input. I have a feeling my wife isn't getting me the Koufax because I cheated and looked on the site and it is still for sale. It came with a JSA authentication and it was on a Perez Steele postcard. I have several others and thought having it would be nice and I could frame them all. I collect HOF autos and vintage cards so any of the items I mentioned would be a nice addition to my collection. Was hoping for the Dimaggio because it is a pretty good price and even though I cannot see any size descrepancy in the picture it says trimmed, but I would send it to SGC to be encapsuled with the authentication tag...Thanks again.

The D would be nice one to pick.
In response, I had no clue what you have or not collected, I stereotyped you as a novice and most typical wifes dont know about this hobby. I guess you got lucky to have somene sharing your enthusiasm.

Any Hof is a nice addition to any collection. I was wondering if you have looked at the auction houses.

No problem...I wasn't responding to be a jerk, just letting you know....I would love the dimaggio and as I said I would send it to SGC. Ill try to post what I get. The KOufax auto would be nice too as it comes with a JSA authentication. I have a feeling, though, that my wife is gonna get the REggie jackson auto because she can just pick it up without ordering it....Either way it will be a nice gift and additon to my auto collection....She's a pretty good wife and humors me alittle by listening to me rant about my collection....guess she's learned some about the hobby along the way
....Also, what auction houses were you referring to? Thank you

Auctions house like Hyee (which just had some awesome stuff), then theres Memory Lane.
Other ones people look to are: Greg Bussineau, REA and Sterling and Heritage
Was wondering if you use the VCP (VintageCardPricing).

I'll have to look into them.....Do I need to join to bid on items or can i just bid? thank you

(12-21-2012, 12:02 PM)lilgman Wrote: I'll have to look into them.....Do I need to join to bid on items or can i just bid? thank you
of course you have to register in order to verify your bid.
But you can always look for free.
I put in a few bids myself, to catch some folks off-guard during the holidays. I hope the big $$ guys, dont have the same idea.