`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another case of last pack(s) luck.

Yet another case of last pack(s) luck.
By now I figured my last pack rule luck would sort of fizzle out, because it can't possibly work all the time, right? Wrong. It works in my favor at least half the time these days, if not more.

I popped in at the LCS after work and arrive while some local kid is ripping through the shop's open box. Apparently he finished off the previous box, containing three or four packs and got zilch, so he had the owner open another. Instead of just buying the box, he whittles his way through it pack by pack. I hate sitting there and watching it, because I've got better things to do with my time than watch him subtly pack search (like I'm blind or something), and I can't just butt in.

In the middle of his break, he pulled a Baertschi RC, which I could use for my Young Guns set. Hmm, maybe he'll consider... nope before I could even inquire, he says that he's putting it up on eBay tonight. I ask, because you never know, and he says "Sorry bro, I usually don't trade, I just rip and sell." OK, best of luck, I can understand wanting to turn stuff over, and who wants to trade these days anyway?!?!

Me. And probably most of YOU, haha. Anyway, he soldiers on until he gets the second of the two jerseys in the box, Tuukka Rask, two white swatches (no biggie, I've pulled two, and his first was Marc Staal) leaving three packs to stand alone. Three? Just get them! I'm going to buy them if he lets them sit there, and even gave him fair warning about it. "Don't leave the last pack in the box dude, even two or three in a product like Upper Deck, chances are you'll get at least another hit, right?" He looks at me like he's king of cards, and I have no idea what I'm talking about, and hits me with his reasoning... "Why? I pulled all the good stuff already." Fine, he cashes out rolling his eyes at me, the simpleton, and leaves. LCS owner says "I'll be honest, he got all the Young Guns and Canvas, and both jerseys too, could be nothing in there." Fair warning, but I know the rules, and if it's a trio of base, I'm only out $10. No biggie. At that point I proceed to open the packs, and each was sweeter than the last...

Pack 1:

[Image: 12-13UpperDeckSignatureSensations-AdamBurish.jpg]

Not familiar with the player, but hey, it's an autograph! My second Signature Sensations card this year, both featuring Dallas players I don't know anything about, haha.

Pack 2:

[Image: 12-13ClearCutPride-PhilKessel.jpg]

Nice inserts, my second this season, and it's a solid player.

Pack 3, the last one in the box:

[Image: 12-13HHHeader.jpg]

Awesome! I needed that one for my set! All I need now is the Phil Esposito Hockey Heroes and it puts that insert set to bed, leaving me only needing a handful of Young Guns to finish my annual Series 1/2 sets (I always do base, YG's & HH's.) I can't tell you how awesome it felt to nail those three cards in three packs, in spite of that clown's eye-rolling nonsense. I hate condescending collectors who think they know all, and love reaping the benefits of their terrible karma. Burn! If he had been a nice guy though, I really would have felt for him.

Not to be outdone, I browsed the rest of the open boxes and saw four packs of Certified, about a half dozen packs of Black Diamond and a pile of Score from the open boxes on the shelf, but they didn't qualify for last pack magic. However, on the top row, far right, I spied a single lonely pack of Artifacts, which has been pretty good to me this year. How could I leave it all alone? That would be terrible, especially during the holidays. In the spirit of giving, I gave more money to the owner, who is probably going to name his summer cottage after me, and he hands me another last pack rule breaker's worst nightmare. Open the pack, and I see there's no decoy, two base cards, and this thick white card, aw sweet, an Emerald Jersey/Patch? Whose?
Wrong...

[Image: 12-13ArtifactsBlackPatchTag-DerekRoy.jpg]

2012-13 Artifacts Patch/Tag Black - Derek Roy #3/5

The scan seriously does not do it justice. All but the Hockey Heroes Header are available for trade, thanks for having a look, and please, everyone, stop leaving the last packs for me. Or better yet, DON'T stop.... Wink

Happy Holidays my friends, be safe, and for what it's worth, hug your kids, moms, dads, anyone in your family, hold 'em tight. The last week has been rather tough, and it's on the heels of other hard to swallow tragedies, so remember what's most important in the world.

-Chris
Collecting Cam Neely & Boston Bruins
Photobucket: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/p...or%20Sale/

RE: Yet another case of last pack(s) luck.
wow, sweet pulls. i love that Roy, but I wouldnt have enough to get it from you haha. congrats

MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

I've never gotten the last pack luck at my local Hobby shop... found out why last time I was in there, guy running the store chatting up with a customer while he searches through the entire box. Needless to say only buying bubble envelopes for shipping from there from now on....

Awsome patch tag card though! Love Artifacts for that very reason!

~Vesper

Awesome pulls...and a great story to boot!

Very cool Roy 3/5!! You always get a great card! Im gonna try my luck Wednesday and if i hit anything ill post it! I will hug my family and tell them i love them.

Lol, Chris, you are the man. This last pack thing is becoming the stuff of legends now hahaha! I cant believe you even warned the guy, and "mr king of cards" thought the good stuff was 2 common jerseys haha. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL at him. Kudos to you Big Grin
[Image: nemesisbanner2.gif]

Sig by tha_penguin

After Joe Thornton serial #1's

Joe Thornton PC: (515) 11.36% Joe Thornton #'d 01/xx: (37) 1.34%
Owen Nolan (260) 15.63%
Couture (37) Demers (26) Sateri (23)

AFTER: TOMAS HERTL, HARRI SATERI

Just unreal luck man! Love that you give him warning and rolls eyes like whatever.. Just wish he would have been there to watch you open them so you could give him the i told you so.. then say oh and i'll grab that last pack of artifacts and rub that card right in his face!!! congrats

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

The more thought I put into it, the better it is that he wasn't there. He'll never learn, and never know what he could have had, so he'll keep leaving the last packs there for me to pick up. For all I know, he could be the one leaving all the gems behind! Not that many hockey collectors locally, that I've found, so he may be the angel of bountifal final packs, haha. Why discourage him? Wink
Collecting Cam Neely & Boston Bruins
Photobucket: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/p...or%20Sale/

You are a force to be reckoned with my friend! Awesome!
Collecting
1. Mike Richter - 475/1641 28%
2. Eric Selleck - 21/30 70% (Incl. 1 Select Cracked Ice Not Listed)
3. Jeff Hoggan - 6/106 6%(Incl. 1 German Printing Plate Not Listed)
4. Guy Fieri - 9/19 47%
5. Sets - Listed in my organize, PC/Set Wants