`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MJ Athlete of the Century Platinum Question

MJ Athlete of the Century Platinum Question
I have seen these supposedly 1/1 cards on Ebay with and without a serial number. A quick look at Beckett's population report for graded cards shows both, with and without a serial number, in some cases for the same card. This means that there are at least 2 cards of each in existence. Does anybody know the story of how those made it on the market? Where those found in packs or did they find their way on the market in any other way?
[Image: Sig_zps7c9cccea.jpg]

RE: MJ Athlete of the Century Platinum Question
I guess nobody knows where those cards without serial number come from?

I didn't think the Platinums were serial numbered at all...
I pack-pulled mine and no serial number on it.

Can you provide scan of Platinum WITH a serial number??
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

(12-17-2012, 11:28 AM)odditycards Wrote: I didn't think the Platinums were serial numbered at all...
I pack-pulled mine and no serial number on it.

Can you provide scan of Platinum WITH a serial number??
I'm afraid I can't. But if you look at Beckett's population report for those platinum cards, you will find several cards with 2 versions, one numbered and one without. For instance card #8, the version without serial is graded 10 and the one with a serial is graded 9.5.

At least now we know that the ones without serial came from packs, rather than through the back door of Upper Deck, since you pulled one from a pack.

Without seeing a card with a serial numbering...I would be apt to believe that the population report reflects regrading/relabeling/reslabing of the card with a different "title" of "no serial number". Trying to get a higher grade possiblly.

But then again...that's just my thought at the time until I see a card with an actual serial number on it.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/