Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
what would you do?

what would you do?
Photobucket

Bought this card as a gift for a buddy. It came in and I immediately turned around and sent it to my friend. The seller emailed me a few days later and said he sent me the wrong card, it was the same year, same PSA6 graded card, but it was a variant Yellow Team name card that was more valuable. I didn't notice a difference when I got it and feel bad, but would feel more embarassed to ask for it back to exchange it, especially after my friend was so happy to get it for his collection.

What would you do?

BTW: Is this the person who the saying "only a face a mother could love" was coined? Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

RE: what would you do?
I've never had it happen, but I think I would tell the seller that you've already gifted it someone. Depending on the actual $$ difference, I might offer to send some $$ back to the seller. But, the fault is their own and it's on them.

I agree, his loss. Pay attention!

(And that comes from someone who sells on the bay.)

If your conscience is bothering you, maybe check and see what other auctions he has and throw him a bone by buying another one of his cards (maybe even the other variation you were supposed to get?) either for yourself or your buddy — give it to him for his birthday or something.

Then he would have the complete "set" of both cards, PSA 6.

Although, when this year's Heritage first came out, I bought the Fielder SP base card for my Tigers PC ... but when I received it, the seller had accidentally sent me the variation with the black and white photo as the main one ... not a huge discrepancy in BV, but I contacted him and asked if he would like me to send the card back.

He said nah, keep it, and thanked me for my honesty.

I'd also see how much difference there was in the price.

I know that the variants can be significant in terms of price though. How about if you ask your friend? Being a collector himself, he may understand.

Ultimately, however, you should ask yourself this one question, "if the shoe was on the other foot, what would I want done?"

Tough call. I'd tell the seller what is going on, as thepozr said.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Something kind of similar happened to me a couple months ago. I won an auction for a 2010 Topps Gold Mike Stanton UH-327 (I think), but the seller sent me the gold UH-50. BV was the same on both and I didn't realize the mistake since I have duplicates of each. Seller contacted me and said there was a mix-up and asked me to return the card, which I did. A couple weeks later he sent me the correct card. I believe he refunded my shipping, but I don't recall. In any event, I did what I'd want him to do if the roles were reversed (especially because someone else had won the one I received).

Your situation is a bit different. I'd say that because you already gifted the card to someone else, a fair thing to do would be to offer paying the difference between the 2 cards. If the card you received was the one pictured, I'd say you have no obligation (moral or otherwise) to do anything further.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I bought a TTT Ellsbury where the patch said Obi Wan Jacoby but the seller sent me the wrong one. He noticed before it arrived and asked me if I could ship it back and he would send me the right one with $5 for my trouble. It was no trouble at all and the seller came through.
take a look at my organize, I have something you like...

[Image: imag0256s.jpg]

(12-12-2012, 07:13 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I agree, his loss. Pay attention!
(And that comes from someone who sells on the bay.)
If your conscience is bothering you, maybe check and see what other auctions he has and throw him a bone by buying another one of his cards (maybe even the other variation you were supposed to get?) either for yourself or your buddy — give it to him for his birthday or something.
Then he would have the complete "set" of both cards, PSA 6.
Although, when this year's Heritage first came out, I bought the Fielder SP base card for my Tigers PC ... but when I received it, the seller had accidentally sent me the variation with the black and white photo as the main one ... not a huge discrepancy in BV, but I contacted him and asked if he would like me to send the card back.
He said nah, keep it, and thanked me for my honesty.
Good suggestions !
If I didn't gift the card, I wouldn't think twice and he'd already have it back to exchange.
(12-12-2012, 07:44 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Your situation is a bit different. I'd say that because you already gifted the card to someone else, a fair thing to do would be to offer paying the difference between the 2 cards. If the card you received was the one pictured, I'd say you have no obligation (moral or otherwise) to do anything further.
Hmmmm, maybe I'll just throw him a few bucks ... Split the difference between the card values. He'd feel better (I guess?), and I don't have to get my friend involved.
(12-12-2012, 07:13 PM)kstjst Wrote: I'd also see how much difference there was in the price.
I know that the variants can be significant in terms of price though. How about if you ask your friend? Being a collector himself, he may understand.
Ultimately, however, you should ask yourself this one question, "if the shoe was on the other foot, what would I want done?"
The funny thing about it .... I was fairly oblivious about the whole thing. I don't really even know if he sent the wrong card or not ... I'm just going on his say so. I didn't have the card when he asked me to send it back, so I couldn't verify one way or the other.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't have sent the seller the wrong card in the first place Smile
(12-12-2012, 07:00 PM)thepozr Wrote: I've never had it happen, but I think I would tell the seller that you've already gifted it someone. Depending on the actual $$ difference, I might offer to send some $$ back to the seller. But, the fault is their own and it's on them.
That was my initial thinking!
BTW: nice Koufax card!!!!!
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

We all try our best. I pride myself on sending items out as quickly and as securely as possible. But now and again, it happens. If you think other wise, you're in for a big surprise when it does.

Personally, if I was the seller, I'd ask, then if the buyer is unwilling to help out in the situation, I'd have to just kick myself about the error. Live and learn.

(12-12-2012, 10:50 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: If the shoe was on the other foot, I wouldn't have sent the seller the wrong card in the first place Smile

(12-13-2012, 11:50 AM)kstjst Wrote: We all try our best. I pride myself on sending items out as quickly and as securely as possible. But now and again, it happens. If you think other wise, you're in for a big surprise when it does.
Personally, if I was the seller, I'd ask, then if the buyer is unwilling to help out in the situation, I'd have to just kick myself about the error. Live and learn.
I know, law of averages ... Accidents will happen given many number of sales. It can happen to the best of us. I was just kidding
but I would be really, really, careful! Smile