`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Who is the "best" catcher of all time??? Benito Santiago?

RE: Who is the "best" catcher of all time??? Benito Santiago?
Ivan Rodriguez was the best during modern play, played on a team who exploited steroids (Canseco, Palmeiro, A.Rod, Juan Gonzalez, and so on)
Yogi Berra is the text book definition of a catcher.
Johnny Bench was a great player, not much of a decent person though.
Mike Piazza the best offensive catcher despite his shortened career.
Thurman Munson had it not been for his terrible demise he would have been the greatest catcher of all time.
[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

im actually pretty shocked that noone mentioned Jason Varitek. He called a game like no other catcher i have seen before.
[Image: VNTYXbe-Copy_zps4a0bcd1a.png]

(12-14-2012, 12:27 PM)mrdub Wrote: im actually pretty shocked that noone mentioned Jason Varitek. He called a game like no other catcher i have seen before.
Varitek was an excellent handler of pitchers and called a great game but I wouldn't put him in the same class as Bench, Berra, IRod, Fisk and company and I'm a Red Sox fan who really liked Jason Varitek.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Here are my best for different eras:
Hall-Of-Famer: Johnny Bench
Non-Hall of Famer: Thurman Munson
Not yet eligible, but will get in: Ivan Rodriguez
Today's best: (tie) Yadier Molina and Buster Posey

Course I can't wrap it up without mentioning Yogi Berra OR Roy Campanella.
And Piazza never was linked to steroids. He just played in that unfortunate era.
[Image: rattboycopy.jpg]

I NEVER trade Bowman Chrome cards, just so you know Big Grin

Great question....I always take the view of "who would I pay to see play". As a student of the game (lol) different players have different greatness in thier game. Pudge (Ivan) was a very below average game caller but man what an arm and great competitor. For defense only, nobody touches Bench. offense it's Piazza. Leadership, Munson. I will not rate those I never saw play, but by what I know, I would have paid to see Yogi and Josh Gibson obove the other old timers.

Combined, its definetly Bench (that young wipper snapper in San Fran needs to give me some more, a couple of seasons isn't enough).
Is there no love for COOOOOOOCH!

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Johnny Bench
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]

(12-14-2012, 12:27 PM)mrdub Wrote: im actually pretty shocked that noone mentioned Jason Varitek. He called a game like no other catcher i have seen before.
tek called a great game (4 no-hitters), but he was straight awful at throwing guys out

(12-12-2012, 04:37 PM)djohn Wrote: I can't believe nobody mentioned Gary Carter. I am torn between Gary Carter and Ivan Rodriguez, but then again they are my 2 favorite players of all time. I was a big fan of Carter and when he retired I searched for a catcher that looked like he was the next great catcher and found that in Ivan Rodriguez.
I'm happy to see someone agrees with me on Carter and Purge. You know secretly I was hoping that maybe just maybe purge could have been a Met. Wishful thinking I know!!

Munson
Busting boxes!!!