`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Who is the "best" catcher of all time??? Benito Santiago?

RE: Who is the "best" catcher of all time??? Benito Santiago?
(12-12-2012, 01:35 PM)kelbysdaddy Wrote: which pudge are you guys talking about-
I didn't even know that there was more than one. All I knew was Ivan.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I can't believe nobody mentioned Gary Carter. I am torn between Gary Carter and Ivan Rodriguez, but then again they are my 2 favorite players of all time. I was a big fan of Carter and when he retired I searched for a catcher that looked like he was the next great catcher and found that in Ivan Rodriguez.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Of course, I doubt anyone here was around to see Mickey Cochrane or Gabby Hartnett play. I've heard they were pretty good!
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Growing up, my next door neighbor was a minor league catcher stuck in the Brooklyn Dodgers organization when Campanella was in his heyday ... he said there was nobody better than Campy.

My father would tell me there was nobody more 'clutch' than Yogi, and he also 'called' a great game! On his 'days off" when Elston took over behind the dish, he even managed to play a decent left field in old Yankee Stadium while calling pitches from the outfield.!!!

I was a huge Thurman fan growing up, and thought that he had the potential to be one of the best ... we know how THAT turned out. Sad

I've heard about the overwhelming power of Josh Gibson, but never really heard much about his "behind the plate" skills.

I was always impressed with Pudge ... he had amazing skills and I got to see a lot of him with the Marlins. He was clutch, and tough, and everywhere he played, the pitching staff was always above average ... coinsidence?

But who was/is the best of all time??? That's tough .... I'd have to go with Yogi's impressive career #1. Pudge as a close second, then Campy or Gibson in 3rd. Thurman just never had a long enough career.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Bench, Berra, Josh Gibson, Fisk, Ivan Rodriguez, and Bill Dickey come to mind.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(12-12-2012, 04:16 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: I didn't even know that there was more than one. All I knew was Ivan.
Fisk was called pudge also.
[Image: w6CF1RN.png]
Another great banner by jbel4331!

Also collecting Brewers prospects and Hall of Fame autos

Defense. Benito was Pretty tough
All Around.I would have to Say Pudge or Berra

(12-12-2012, 03:41 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: This was my first thought about this thread.

defensively: benny is up there, so was charles johnson (if we are gonna talk about defensively underrated)

all-time? id give it to ivan rodriguez for defense, and a lot of that has to do with how good he was for how long. really kind of incredible

Well, according to benitosantiago.net, Benito was "one of the MLB greatest catchers of all time." So, there's that.

(I will confess, his website's theme song is pretty sweet. I want my work to start playing this song in the morning when I get off the elevator.)
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Well, that settles it, uvaspina Big Grin
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!