IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Question on ebay auctions with reserve prices
Question 
Question on ebay auctions with reserve prices
This has happened to me twice recently.

Say there is a card with a current bid of $30 and I set my snipe for a max bid of something much higher like $80 and then when it ends it says I'm the winner for a bid of $49.99.

I assume that the reserve price is $49.99. But shouldn't my bid increase the $30 bid to $31 and then presumably say I was the high bidder but not the winner because the reserve was not met? What I'm getting at...does your winning bid automatically get "bumped up" to the reserve price if your max bid is above the reserve price?

Not sure how I feel about that as it automatically jumps up my bid way above the 2nd highest. I'm not really complaining b/c it obviously fell within the range I was comfortable with but I'd like some clarification.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

RE: Question on ebay auctions with reserve prices
never actually thought about that, it's possible somebody had their max bid set at $48.
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

I don't think so. The bidding history shows the next highest bid at $30

Yes, that's correct. As long as you place a winning bid for an amount you are willing to pay that is over the reserve, you will win it for the reserve.

If you were engaged bid-for-bid with someone, that other person would have stopped short and it wouldn't have made the reserve. But by sniping that amount, you just committed to buy it for any amount up to and including $80. So that's why you ended up winning it for the reserve.

Yes, your bid automatically gets bumped to the reserve price if your maximum bid is over the reserve price.
Album: Album

1997 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals
1997 Topps Gallery Gallery of Heroes

Thanks for the replies

(12-05-2012, 12:45 AM)iconms Wrote: What I'm getting at...does your winning bid automatically get "bumped up" to the reserve price if your max bid is above the reserve price?
Yes it does.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Which is why some don't like reserves.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!