`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is it even worth it anymore?

RE: Is it even worth it anymore?
I started off by buying only boxes with hopes that I would end up getting "the big hit." That never happened and I was very mad after every box. I would then sell all the cards from the box and I still would not make more than what I paid for the box.

I then began buying only singles off eBay. I am now happy with every card I have because it's something that I want and know I wont regret buying. Smile
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

I have a different perspective. My kid LOVES opening packs and I enjoy putting the regular Topps sets together from 2008 to present, with 2008 being the year we saw our first Brewer game at Miller Park. It's not much, a box every other month or so, but she gets to rip. While there are a few dud boxes, the expense is minimal and enjoyment factor is worth the expense. I must say, though, that she is pretty lucky and the hits in the packs she opens far outweigh the hits (or lack of) in mine. These are most of her recent ones:
[Image: hpqscan0010.jpg]
Nothing extraordinary but enough to keep her interested in the hobby, which works for me. So, what it really boils down to is, what are you collecting for? For us, she opens and I build and trade for the PC. Win-win, in my opinion.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

(12-04-2012, 11:01 PM)jlandry287 Wrote: Every time i buy a box/pack, it's always a bust. I'll maybe get one or two refractor-base cards with BV of ~$5 each (if I'm lucky) whenever i spend close to $60 on the box. I'm starting to think it'd be smarter (and cheaper) just to buy cards I'm looking for instead of hoping to have a nice pull. Anybody else feel this way?
Are they retail or hobby boxes which can vary in hits.
In 2010 i bought a few boxes of Bowman Jumbos HTA, yea it was costly but things were better then. A few notable cards that i pulled: J. Heyward chrome ref, 2 Harper chrome and a chromr refractor, Strasburg cards & a Jeter 1/1 print plate. I doubt i could even come close to cost but it was something i had never done. Maybe at the height of release i'd break even or maybe make a few bucks. That wasn't my reason for buying, just needed something different & had fun doing it. About 10% was traded/sold, 10% pc cards & 80% unorganized lol.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

(12-04-2012, 11:50 PM)aprirr Wrote: I have a different perspective. My kid LOVES opening packs and I enjoy putting the regular Topps sets together from 2008 to present, with 2008 being the year we saw our first Brewer game at Miller Park. It's not much, a box every other month or so, but she gets to rip. While there are a few dud boxes, the expense is minimal and enjoyment factor is worth the expense. I must say, though, that she is pretty lucky and the hits in the packs she opens far outweigh the hits (or lack of) in mine. These are most of her recent ones:
[Image: hpqscan0010.jpg]
Nothing extraordinary but enough to keep her interested in the hobby, which works for me. So, what it really boils down to is, what are you collecting for? For us, she opens and I build and trade for the PC. Win-win, in my opinion.
i REALLY like that hanley ramirez, great pull and a great story behind it. Thanks for sharing
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

I think if you go in to the hobby expecting to make money by opening boxes, you're in for a bad time. I figure a certain amount of the price I'm paying is for the experience of opening the box. I grew up making sets from packs and boxes, and that's what the hobby is for me. If I tried to go the buy singles and sets route, I don't think I'd last much longer.

(12-05-2012, 12:39 AM)dpatera Wrote: I think if you go in to the hobby expecting to make money by opening boxes, you're in for a bad time. I figure a certain amount of the price I'm paying is for the experience of opening the box. I grew up making sets from packs and boxes, and that's what the hobby is for me. If I tried to go the buy singles and sets route, I don't think I'd last much longer.
good point, I'm just a college student and would like to be able to sell cards that aren't for my pc. I don't have space to store a lot of potentially worthless commons. I mostly collect vintage rookies or prospect autos
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

If you are just buying retail you won't see many hits. Instead of spending 60 on retail, shop around and buy hobby boxes for a few bucks more. You will have much more luck with hits and its a little more fun. This year has been a record for me in busting boxes, I spent way too much money but had a lot of fun and pulled some very interesting cards. From now on I am sticking to only 3 products and the. The rest of the time I will just be buying singles. It will save me a ton of money.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

I stopped buying boxes this year after I figured out I could buy the complete set (including inserts usually) for cheaper than I was spending on one hobby box (where I wasn't getting a complete set). It does not matter to me to get that big hit because I would keep it for my collection and not sell it anyway; even if it isn't a Yankee. With the money difference, I go ahead and pick up the Yankee parallels and memorabilia cards.

I think realizing that i could buy some of the nicest hits out of the product with the money i spent on 2 boxes made me stop busting boxes. Even if you get an AMAZING hit your not going to clear the cost of what you put in, that is unless you hit that 1/1 product hit.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

The gambler in me enjoys the possibility, however remote it may be, of pulling that one card that will get me shaking and uttering profanities while my wife watches Teen Mom 2. I would use the funds received from the sale of such a card to add to my PC of '69 Mets items.

The above scenario has yet to happen but I continue to bust boxes and dream.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1