`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chances A-Rod becomes home run king

RE: Chances A-Rod becomes home run king
(12-05-2012, 05:47 AM)fulltritty Wrote: Zero chance! I personally wish he would realize that he is washed up and retire so the Yankees can move on without his albatross contract hanging around their necks, but nothing in A-Rod's makeup tells me he would ever do something that is better for someone else if it affects himself!
Back in the early 2000s when Travis Fryman was getting ready to retire, he had $6 million left on his contract with a $700k buyout. Since he was battling injuries, he said he didn't deserve to be paid by the Tribe if he wasn't going to be able to play and told the Tribe to pay his buyout to charity.

Granted, $700k is chump change compared to what A-Rod has left on the table, but I always respected that about Fryman.
(12-05-2012, 08:04 AM)stera8 Wrote: Did you see that the yanks have an insurance policy on him? If he retires early due to an injury they aren't responsible for much of the contract
I don't think insurance kicks in unless the player is medically unable to play. When there's that kind of money involved, an insurance company isn't going to just take the team's word. Further, i don't think A-Rod would go along with that. There's a difference between not being able to play well (A-Rod) and not being able to play at all (Albert Belle).
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(12-05-2012, 10:58 AM)zeprock Wrote: I don't think he makes it. As for current players who might reach 500 homers, it's still early but I think you could add Ryan Howard to that list.
Howard is already 33 and he only has 300 HRs. I'd say he's on the fringe for 500. He would need to put up about 120 or more in the next 3 seasons to have a good shot. Prince Fielder on the other hand is only 28 and has 260 HRs. Even if he averages a flat 30 per year he would have 410 at 33 which puts him in great position to reach 500. I know his weight is an issue but he has played a minumum of 157 games in each of the last 7 seasons. The next 2 or 3 seasons are big for him. I would agree that Cabrera is a near lock for 500, and obviously unless Pujols falls down a well he'll get there. There is a big, big gap after that.

Mike Stanton is super young and anything can happen, but he's got almost 100 and just turned 23. You could make an even bigger stretch and say Mike Trout has a shot. He is more of a speed guy but 1) he put up 30 in about 550 ABs and 2) remember that Mantle was just about the fastest guy in the game before he hurt his knee. Plus at 21 years old Trout hasn't even grown into all of his strength yet.

I think Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols are locks to hit the 500 mark.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(12-07-2012, 10:49 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: I think Cabrera, Fielder, Pujols are locks to hit the 500 mark.
agreed. I would also add Howard and would totally like to see konerko hold on long enough for the 500 club. i don't see Ortiz hanging around long but also would be cool

Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

I can see Konerko and maybe Howard, elberson. Konerko with a slightly better chance than Howard, though.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!