`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Help identifying a Nolan Ryan and...Bugs Bunny card

RE: Help identifying a Nolan Ryan and...Bugs Bunny card
(11-28-2012, 03:41 PM)Murzcoach Wrote: Yup, thats one of the ones I have!
But is it BGS Graded 9.5?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(11-28-2012, 06:51 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: But is it BGS Graded 9.5?
Ummm... Yeah, I just, uh, broke them out of the slabs... haha.

Here's a couple pics

[Image: NationalLoonyToonsJacksonfront.jpg] [Image: Scan_Pic0029NationalLoonyToonsJacksonback.jpg]

[Image: NationalLoonyToonsRyan.jpg] [Image: NationalLoonyToonsRyanback.jpg]

I thought I had one more but can't locate it. I might have sold it though as I remember being offered $50 for one immediately after it was handed to me at the National. I was 12 so I probably took the money, haha.

[Image: medlendodger_zps6b1c847c.jpg]
**Looking for Kris Medlen cards, willing to trade/buy**

(11-28-2012, 08:06 PM)Murzcoach Wrote: Ummm... Yeah, I just, uh, broke them out of the slabs... haha.

Here's a couple pics

[Image: NationalLoonyToonsJacksonfront.jpg] [Image: Scan_Pic0029NationalLoonyToonsJacksonback.jpg]

[Image: NationalLoonyToonsRyan.jpg] [Image: NationalLoonyToonsRyanback.jpg]

I thought I had one more but can't locate it. I might have sold it though as I remember being offered $50 for one immediately after it was handed to me at the National. I was 12 so I probably took the money, haha.
There's actually 4 in the set. One more for Nolan Ryan and one more for R. Jackson. Nolan's other one is of him with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. I only collect Nolan Ryan, so I don't know who is on the other one with Reggie.

Not sure if I have the National ones but I have like 100 base cards of that, maybe 150.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(11-28-2012, 08:43 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: Not sure if I have the National ones but I have like 100 base cards of that, maybe 150.
As I stated earlier, it's comprised of a 198 card set.

The kid in me really kinda likes these. So, from what I am gathering from y'alls posts, during the 1991 National they handed out 4 different cards: 2 Ryans & 2 Reggies. And from what I see on the back of the 2 nolan5000 posted, they were promos for the upcoming Comic Ball 2 set which included 198 cards....which my Nolan card shown in the OP is from.

I've not done any research outside of the Beckett site yet, but from what I can tell there were a total of 4 Comic Ball sets, with the 3rd and 4th editions coming out in '92. Beckett does have the 3 & 4 sets in their database. And it looks like the 4th edition featured NFL players rather than MLB players. Strange that Beckett includes the 2nd edition promos from the National as well as the 3rd and 4th editions, but nothing from the 1st and 2nd edition.

Anyhow, I really have no point to make, I guess I'm just trying to sum everything up I've learned from this thread as well as the Beckett database. I'm happy to have the one card I do have and really have no plans to seek out more, but it is a pretty neat as well as unique meshing of Major League sports stars and Warner Bros. cartoon stars. I was always more of a Daffy guy than a Bugs guy, but hey...Nolan and Bugs on the same card? Two superstars is always better than one, right?

There is one peculiar thing I noticed and wondered about on my card...why is Bugs wearing a Yankee uni?
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

(11-29-2012, 02:25 PM)Mikarlo Wrote: There is one peculiar thing I noticed and wondered about on my card...why is Bugs wearing a Yankee uni?
Because he is the superstar of Looney Tunes and most all the superstars end up on the Yankees at one time or another during their career?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(11-29-2012, 03:05 PM)zeprock Wrote: Because he is the superstar of Looney Tunes and most all the superstars end up on the Yankees at one time or another during their career?
lol, very true and a good reason. I looked up Warner Bros. on Wiki and their HQ is split between Burbank, CA and NYC. So, maybe another reason? I really don't know. It looks to me like the two Tunes featured in nolan5000s post are wearing Mets and Orioles uniforms...I could be mistaken on that though. Anyhow, it's kinda fun to guess at the reasoning without knowing why UD & WB chose to feature the Tunes in the unis they're in.

Edit: Check that, it looks like Speedy may be in a Rangers uni rather than Mets.
COLLECTING: St Louis Cardinals -- NASCAR: Jamie McMurray, Kyle Larson, Rusty Wallace, Austin & Ty Dillon -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros (NBA & NFL) -- Non-Sports

(11-29-2012, 08:20 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: As I stated earlier, it's comprised of a 198 card set.
I probably have them all, on second thought. I'll have to look, though.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!