`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New To Collecting Again, Basic Question

New To Collecting Again, Basic Question
So I am picking up collecting again after being an avid collector in my childhood. I am scouring eBay as I am interested in buying box sets that are sealed, but I am confused.

Why are box sets so cheap on eBay?

Perfect example. Sealed 1989 Upper Deck box set going for $35 plus shipping. The Ken Griffey Jr card alone in the set goes for over $100 (sometimes $200 according to some current auctions) in mint condition. Even with the PSA charge to get a 10 rating, that still has you coming out WAY ahead.

Am I missing something? Why are these sets so cheap? Regardless I am happy I am picking them up cheap. I made my first purchases the other day and got a 1990 and 1994 Topps sealed sets for $30 a piece and have begun rummaging through my old sets I found in my mom's garage. I wish I would have kept better care of some of those cards as a kid!

Thanks for any insight and look forward to becoming a contributing member.

RE: New To Collecting Again, Basic Question
The sets are so cheap because the late 80s and early 90s cards were mass produced.

The only Griffey's that are selling high are the high graded ones, and there is no promising that the griffey that is coming out of a sealed set will grade a 10. All it takes is one rough bump on the box, for it to get a ding, or slight imperfection.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

Also, not to burst your excitement bubble about getting full sets, but for most of the sets of that era $30 is a high price. You can go to card shows and buy a number of the late 80s-early 90s sets for way cheaper. Ex. I just bought the 1994 O-Pee-Chee Set at the Toronto Expo for $2, and a box of jumbo packs of '93 Topps (Jeter Rookie year) for $5. Hit card shows in your area and see the prices of wax boxes and sets for that era first. Just don't want you to overpay on the bay when you could find these quite a bit cheaper.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

Yeah, I figured 10s weren't a sure thing. Im not really looking to turn a buck anyway, my day job is doing fine with that. Ill probably buy these, get them graded and put them away. It was purely curiosity through doing research on what box sets I wanted to buy.
Excited to be back collecting again though!

Also take centering into consideration. The box could have been handled with rubber gloves it's entirety without a speck of dust on it, but the cards inside could be off center.
[Image: badtime.jpg]

(11-26-2012, 01:21 PM)cincinnatireds1983 Wrote: Yeah, I figured 10s weren't a sure thing. Im not really looking to turn a buck anyway, my day job is doing fine with that. Ill probably buy these, get them graded and put them away. It was purely curiosity through doing research on what box sets I wanted to buy.
Excited to be back collecting again though!
If you have that attitude in this hobby then you will enjoy it in your second stint. Welcome back and just enjoy it for the love of the cards!

I used to buy box sets, not anymore. Way too many worthless commons in the boxes and it doesn't take long for them to stack up. And once they're stacked up you can't get rid of them, unless you give them away
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

Yeah, they're over-produced and may not be in the best of shape. An ungraded UD Griffey RC goes for about $30, and that's the big card in the box set, so that is why they are so cheap.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!