`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Grading vs Non Grading

Grading vs Non Grading
When I was growing up and collecting I rarely saw people getting cards graded. I just stumbled upon all my old cards and only 1 of them is graded. Now when browsing forums/blogs/ebay it seems that almost everything is graded now. Should I submit all my cards to grading? It obviously raises the value but do I wanna risk anything less than a 9? Just weird seeing so many graded cards I guess when I only have 1.

RE: Grading vs Non Grading
It's the way to go with high end rookies, and things like that. You can give them a minimum grade where they won't slab it unless it meets that lowest grade.
[Image: MJCollage_zps3209fd89.jpg]

It's all personal preference really. I grade the majority of my mid-high end pc with BGS for preservation alone. Nothing else compares in terms of long term protection to a BGS slab.

Wow u joined in 2003 and are still considered a "new member" ??? lol... As for your question, if your cards are PC & you plan on keeping them PC, then grading doesn't make a difference unless u want a little better protection!

(11-20-2012, 02:55 PM)bengu Wrote: Wow u joined in 2003 and are still considered a "new member" ??? lol... As for your question, if your cards are PC & you plan on keeping them PC, then grading doesn't make a difference unless u want a little better protection!
+1. graded cards are so common today, on the majority of cards, you can get a grade of 9 and the premium it may sell for will not pay for the grade itself.
[Image: 7966e60e-33ac-4de8-bdd9-1ba754cc86b5_zps67dad6ae.jpg]

(11-20-2012, 02:55 PM)bengu Wrote: Wow u joined in 2003 and are still considered a "new member" ??? lol... As for your question, if your cards are PC & you plan on keeping them PC, then grading doesn't make a difference unless u want a little better protection!
ya i was pretty active in 2003 but a couple years later college hit and had to support myself so cards kinda took a back seat.

but thanks for the feedback, maybe i'll send a couple in.

I am a heavy Graded card collector. Mainly all BGS 9.5 cards as I would much rather have anything lower in normal cases... but in all HONESTY, I think cards look much better in one touch Jewel cases. Cards in BGS slabs gives its luster much less thanks to the thick plastic and sleeve inside and takes a bit away from the brilliance of a card.

Also with so much trimming and altering going through grading companies, they are beginning to lose a lot of credibility and by following the market heavily, the gap between graded cards and ungraded raw cards have considerably shrunk down. I see ungraded cards sell much higher than graded many times as well (except Gem Mints). And to add, grading has become much more lenient compared to how they used to be. It was truly a difficult feat getting a Gem Mint grade back then but they've lowered their standards quite a bit it seems.

I'm changing my gears to purchase and collect ungraded cards now. That way I am paying for the actual value of the CARD itself rather than a Grade. Of course that means I have to be more meticulous about the condition as I have no 3rd party telling me how it is.

I prefer graded cards now. I used to not care. I collect MJ cards and the cards I need/want now are mainly higher end. I have got too many cards in the mail from sellers that claim the card is mint with now marks only to receive the card and it is highly damaged. The lower end cards if this happens they can be replaced. But when you spend $100+ on a card it is not so easy. With that said, I buy primarily graded cards now to know exactly what I am getting in the mail. No guesses or hopes that the card will come in great shape because I find sellers do not describe their cards at all and probably do not even look at them prior to listing...

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(11-21-2012, 02:24 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: I prefer graded cards now. I used to not care. I collect MJ cards and the cards I need/want now are mainly higher end. I have got too many cards in the mail from sellers that claim the card is mint with now marks only to receive the card and it is highly damaged. The lower end cards if this happens they can be replaced. But when you spend $100+ on a card it is not so easy. With that said, I buy primarily graded cards now to know exactly what I am getting in the mail. No guesses or hopes that the card will come in great shape because I find sellers do not describe their cards at all and probably do not even look at them prior to listing...
Exactly what i do!
It's the only way to go.
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

I think graded cards for vintage is good or high end... but grading cards under $100 is not much worth it...

I do not understand why people get low dollar (under $50) cards graded.. cost of grading is sometimes more than the card itself...

If you try to send in all your card, you will be paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars just for grading... in my opinion, just not worth it...

some big time dealers send in tons of cheap cards to get graded, then turn around & try to sell them at $20 each... even when they sell for a few dollars raw...

Graded cards do look good, but then again, they also look good in onetouch magnetic cases... I seen some graded slabs that have been scatched or the labels appear like they are falling off... I always thought if the label didn't look right or was crooked, it was a bad attempt to break the slab or alter it.. I hate when cases get scratched, therefore all my cases, including toploaders, have penny-sleeves around them to protect from scratching....
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*