`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Hobby Box vs Retail Box

Hobby Box vs Retail Box
I heard that you have better odds of getting auto and other type of memorabilia type cards in Hobby Boxes but I was curious, what's the difference with buying 24 pack boxes? Would those basically be the same as the retail boxes as far as your chances of getting the auto cards?

RE: Hobby Box vs Retail Box
There are Autos in Retail packs,but the odds are better from Hobby. Typically,1 Hobby box will have all different cards. If you buy a ton of retail packs,you'll get alot of duplicates. But it's all in what you can afford and/or what you are chasing. I personally can only do Retail,and get my PC cards pulled from Hobby packs on eBay. Let someone else pay $80 or so for a Hobby box,and I'll just buy the $10 Colt Auto Wink
[Image: Npcz9Sk_zps02cb653f.png]

Hobby versus retail really depends on the product. Typically the odds are better in hobby over retail, but the prices are usually higher per pack for hobby, so you are paying for the better odds. Sometimes however retail products end up being better (for instance 2012 Topps Platinum football blasters at Walmart). There are also instances of hobby only or retail only inserts (such as special refractors in rack packs or special patch cards that are 1 per blaster box).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Thanks for the replies. I've been buying the regular retail boxes that go for around $20.00 and though I have not gotten any auto cards, I have gotten a few patch cards as well as several different Andrew Luck and RGIII cards, so I suppose I can't complain.