`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
did superstorm sandy change card collecting

did superstorm sandy change card collecting
I think superstorm sandy changed card collecting in many ways.

1. people are going to think about gettting insurance on there collections.

2. people are going to start getting more cards graded so they don't get damaged. they will also determin who to grade there cards by looking at cards that were graded and made it thru superstorm sandy.

3. I also think some cards might become harder to find because of loss and damage due to superstorm sandy. god only knows how many people lost there collections.

what do you think?

RE: did superstorm sandy change card collecting
Uhhhh, I doubt it will change much.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

no

and i work in this field, both baseball collectibles, insurance, appraising and salvage

I agree that there won't be any change to how cards are collecting, grading, or insurance. The only change will be that some rare cards that were damaged or lost in the storm may mean that collector's have an even harder time finding nice copies of them. However unless a very limited card (i.e print run under 5) is documented as being damaged in the storm, the values of cards won't change either.
By the way, the same question could be asked every time there is a big catastrophe (such as Hurricane Katrina a few years ago). However not much changed in terms of how people collect cards since Katrina or any other disaster, so I just don't see it happening due to Sandy.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I'm not too fond of Sandy being called a Super Storm. Freak storm that brought damage to an area that wasnt ready and prepared for storm. But in Florida its something we deal with all the time. Bad timing, Wrong area = bad damage
same things could be asked any time a tornado hits the midwest or a wildfire breaks out in Colorado disasters happen and people wont change there ways until it hits too close to home but at that point its only a small fraction of collectors

(11-16-2012, 01:28 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: I'm not too fond of Sandy being called a Super Storm. Freak storm that brought damage to an area that wasnt ready and prepared for storm. But in Florida its something we deal with all the time. Bad timing, Wrong area = bad damage
I totally agree with this. A super storm, by it's definition, is a ambigious term that is always a cyclone. Just calling it what it was, a massive storm that lost hurricane status before the eye hit landfall, isn't dramatic enough for todays news. Now I'm not saying it wasn't devastating, as I live near Houston and Tropical Storm Allison wreaked havoc dumping an absurd 37 inches of rain in 5 days, but you didn't hear anyone mis-applying weather terminology for the sake of dramatization
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

(11-16-2012, 01:28 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: I'm not too fond of Sandy being called a Super Storm. Freak storm that brought damage to an area that wasnt ready and prepared for storm. But in Florida its something we deal with all the time. Bad timing, Wrong area = bad damage
same things could be asked any time a tornado hits the midwest or a wildfire breaks out in Colorado disasters happen and people wont change there ways until it hits too close to home but at that point its only a small fraction of collectors
you have never had anything of the sort hit florida. it was the coming together of 3 storm systems in a highly populated area, and had NOTHING to do with preparedness

question: how prepared were floridians for Hurricane Andrew?

/former tampa, tallahassee and ft myers resident who has been throguh 5 hurricanes and 15 tropical storms in multiple locations. and more than a few tornado warnings

This was the banner at the top while reading this post
[Image: 11692084803238608579]
[Image: badtime.jpg]

That was what the "Super" part of of it That it hit a big metro area. Lived through many of storms and freak of nature events. Volcanos in the philippines typhoons and earthquakes in guam and other various craziness that goes on. But for this to raise a concern to insure you investments will not happeen.

(11-16-2012, 03:56 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: That was what the "Super" part of of it That it hit a big metro area.
no, it was because it was the convergence of three different storm systems. like "the perfect storm" 20 years beforehand