`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics!

'86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics!
Ok first off what's up everyone! Hope you all are having a blessed day!

Now I have a serious wtf question for critics of the Jordan Fleer RC who always say "oh it's over produced and anybody can get one because look how many are on eBay" ect ect ect... Now excuse me, but maybe you guys saying that aren't old enough to remember a time before the Internet! I remember growin up in the 90's and I literally NEVER seen that card at any hobby shop or knew of anybody who owned one and I grew up meeting a LOT of people! I remember the first time I finally seen one with my own eyes I was 15 (year 2000) and I swear it was like seeing the holy grail in person! I just couldn't stop staring at it!!!! And it was raw and thinking back on it, it probably wouldn't have graded higher than a BGS 8!! But it didn't matter! It was the rookie card of Michael Freakin Jordan!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so stupid to hear haters say how overrated the card is, they obviously don't know what they're talking about because that card MADE the basketball hobby relevant & Michael Jordan himself could easily be argued as the greatest athlete EVER!!!!! Not just basketball, but EVER!!!! The reason why you see hundreds of Jordan rookies on eBay sometimes is because it's the WORLD WIDE MARKET PLACE! There are 7 BILLION people on this earth and I think it'd be safe to assume that at least half know who Jordan is/was and most all are/were probably fans!! The reason why people sell them is because we're in a horrid economy and picking up an extra 300-5000+ depending on condition sometimes needs to be done. And the reason why some don't sell is simple... Most people can't afford one at the asking price! But I tell you what, there isn't a basketball fan alive who wouldn't LOVE to own a Michael Jordan RC even if they weren't necessarily card collectors! So those of us fortunate enough to own one.... APPRECIATE IT!

Rant over : )

RE: '86 Fleer Jordan... a serious wtf question for its critics!
Agree!!

BTW, here is mine:

[Image: 2012-10-2620-49page6_zps241da277.jpg]

Absolutely STUNNING BGS 9 right there.

I don't think its a matter of people hating on the 86 Fleer MJ. If you look at VCP you will see how many of these change hands, clearly there is a great appreciation for it. I think the majority of basketball collectors out there would regard this as a must have in their collection and there is no disputing its significance to our hobby.

That said, looking at the population reports for both BGS and PSA, its obvious the card is far from scarce. Last time I looked there are over 20,000 MJ RC slabbed between the two companies. That is a ton compared to the under 300 examples of the Star XRC graded.Factor in a decent but dwindling supply of unopened material and its easy to see why people don't look at in the same light as say a 52 topps Mantle.

However, while there are a lot out there, supply is not going to always keep up with demand. MJ is the most popular figure in sports history WORLDWIDE. I mean seriously, an industrial jug of McJordan Rib Sauce sold for nearly $10k!! The 86 Fleer is simply an iconic card and will always be a hot item for MJ fans and sports card collectors of all kinds.

Great point regarding the internet being a worldwide marketplace. I had the same discussion recently when someone pointed to the 8 BGS Star XRC's on eBay as proof the are either fake or not as scarce as people think. Back in the day we were only able to see what came through our local shops. Ebay allows us to see every card out there with a simple mouse click. Pointing to how many are for sale in rough economic times is by no means a measure of scarcity. Thats what pop reports are for, and even those are flawed.

bengu, who are these people who say that Jordan's RC is "overrated"?

They should might as well say the player on that 1986 fleer rc is also over rated... LOL..
I collect "THE 27 CLUB" - Matt Kemp & Mike Trout RC's
[Image: RyinvZK.png]
[Image: beckett2_zps5fe6c285.jpg]
~! KEEP THE HOBBY ALIVE !~
Props to jbel4331

I'm a major basketball fan, and I LOVE collecting cards, and I respect the card to which you're referring, but I have NO desire to ever own one. It's not because I'm a Pistons fan, but I'm not a Jordan fan and would not look at it as something that made my collection better. I would look at it as something I could use to sell to get money to either pay bills or put towards cards I would actually want.

I pulled a 2007-08 Upper Deck Mini Jersey Collection Michael Jordan AU and the first thing I thought of was how I could reasonably get rid of it so that I wasn't jipped, got what I needed, and it went to someone who wanted it. Michael Jordan isn't everyone favorite, nor are some of them slight fans of his. I respect his skill and what that card meant to the hobby, but that's it.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

beautiful BGS 9 bro..

I haven't heard a lot of critics saying anything bad about it. Then again, I don't get out much. lol

By the way, here's a tribute to your OP rant:

[Image: MJRookie-1.jpg]

[Image: back-1.jpg]

Went out and bought a scanner and laptop today and couldn't wait to repost this card. Compared to the pics taken on my iPad...nuff said.

Maybe these pics will help me justify why I think this is a solid 9 all along...

MJ RC is overrated... I'll trade a Lebron SPX 08-09 "Signature Block" auto for a slabbed MJ's RC.. any grade. because anything will be better than the one I got as a kid, which has 4 rounded corners & a pin hole at the top, where I tacked it to my bedroom wall...

The Lebron SPX "signature block" auto has only been seen once online... I've never seen anybody else have one... & I only seen 2 MJ's of the same set... so it is extremely scarce...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*