`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topps Heritage...how long will it go?

Topps Heritage...how long will it go?
I saw this thread on another forum so I thought I would bring it here. My apologies if this has already been discussed.

Topps Heritage 2013 will mirror the 1964 set. In a couple years it will be approaching the 1970 set, so the question is, when is retro no longer retro? In a minor point, what are they going to do with the coin cards since the 1965 coins no longer used silver?

My two cents is thing that point of Heritage is to remind (or introduce) collectors of the declared glory days of basbeall, the era of Mantle and Mays, Snider and Robinson, and so on. All these guys left baseball between 68 and 73 to give way to a new era of stars, Jackson, Ryan, Seaver, Winfield, Schmidt, etc. So I see Heritage lasting anywhere from 4 to 8 more years and then hopefully bow out gracefully.

Thoughts?

Doug

RE: Topps Heritage...how long will it go?
With the current pattern it is always retro. Yes to us the 1982 design is 30 yrs old, but as the pattern continues it always mimics the set 52 yrs ago from the time of publication. So in 2052, theoretically, they will be up to 1980. Not as retro to us but to the people of that time it sure will be. Heritage will continue as long as Topps makes $$$ off of it. Personally I would like to see them move the set they are copying around, much like archives just picks a few designs in the base.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

What are they gonna do when it comes time to use 88 Topps for Heritage? Nobody liked that set lol.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

how about when they get up to 1994 topps and the hobby box weighs 76 pounds

There doesn't seem to be a tidy cut-off date where there's a consensus of what's no longer vintage. They'll probably continue it until it no longer sells. As far as when that will be, who knows. Personally, I think they are hastening it by trotting out the old designs for non-Heritage stuff, like we saw in Lineage and Archives. Plus at some point they'll be rolling into the era where the original cards aren't as hard to find so the 'historicness' of it will be greatly reduced.

For me Retro is anything older than 10 years from the current year that we are in. That's just me though and personally I'd like to see them go all the way to 1990 Topps but I have my doubts it will go that far. They still have a lot of great designs to go though.

Someone stated the 1988 Topps design and how people don't like it. If you think about it I am sure a ton of those 1988 Topps card get thrown away every year and by the time they get to 1988 if they do it will be what 2037 and those 1988 cards will be old and could be rare. From what I heard the reason why cards like 1952 are so expensive is back in the early 80's when you could get a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle for a cheap price Topps had a huge supply of cards sitting in the ware house and they just destroyed them. The cards from the 50's and 60's are not really rare either as I am sure there 100,000 of each card floating around somewhere. Some could be in attacks that some kid’s father had and collected when they were kids and have just been forgotten about. I mean really how many times you have heard stories of someone going through there fathers stuff and finding a bunch of baseball cards then finding out there worth a lot of money selling them.
I believe this says it best though if you want to read the whole article here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Topps_Company

Berger hired a garbage boat to remove leftover boxes of 1952 baseball cards stored in their warehouse, and rode with them as a tugboat pulled them off the New Jersey shore. The cards were then dumped into the Atlantic Ocean.[5] The cards included Mickey Mantle's first Topps card, the most valuable card of the modern era. No one at the time, of course, knew the collector's value the cards would one day attain. Currently, a pack of 1952 Topps baseball cards is worth at least $5,000.

Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

rmpaq5 is right, we're thinking about Heritage in the '80s like the release date is tomorrow. It will be vintage when/if it gets released.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!