`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going out on top

Going out on top
It recently hit me that since Chipper Jones retired, all of the players I grew up idolizing, (Chipper, Ripken, Maddux, Sosa, McGwire, Smoltz) are all gone. And outside of Ripken, none of them went out with a bang. Chippers last game will be remembered for that RIDICULOUS call instead of him. Smoltz bounced from Boston to St Louis with injuries, Sosa and McGwire were both driven out of baseball, and Maddux bounced from Chicago to LA to San Diego with an ERA of over 4 after leaving Atlanta.

Who were some of your favorites that you would have liked to see go out in memorable style? or maybe you have a favorite that did go out with a bang, lets hear it! doesnt have to be a star, those were just mine.

RE: Going out on top
Alan Trammell, ended his playing career on pretty bad Tiger Teams, and then returned as an absolute disaster as a manager for the team.
Rivera if he dosen't come back from the injury--not a major fan of his but it would be a shame if his incredible career ended this way
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(11-06-2012, 03:08 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: Alan Trammell, ended his playing career on pretty bad Tiger Teams, and then returned as an absolute disaster as a manager for the team.
Rivera if he dosen't come back from the injury--not a major fan of his but it would be a shame if his incredible career ended this way
Robin Yount, like Trammell, ended with some pretty bad Brewer teams as well. But, like Trammell, he was a class act until the end and, for me, that's good enough.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's

Griffey Sad
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

This is a very interesting thread ... but I have to say, almost none of them go out on top, because either their skills diminish to the point where they can't really do it anymore (Griffey was a good example by an earlier poster), or they end up in a random uniform or series of uniforms that just look weird on them (Manny Ramirez, Tampa Bay; Jerry Rice, Seattle/Denver, for example) ...

I mean, even Jordan ended his career with the Wizards ... he still averaged 20 PPG his last season, but wasn't the same player.

Actually, the only guy I can think of that literally went out on top was Elway, and even then that was more Terrel Davis's team by then.

I don't know, it's certainly understandable from their viewpoint ... the money, the fame, the adulation, and they've been playing their respective sports since they were like 5 years old.

The thought of being 40 years old and having no idea what to do with yourself for the rest of your life has probably got to be pretty scary for many of them — and those are the lucky ones who made enough money to live on for the rest of their lives.

I mean, if they could still play at an All-Star level when they were 37, they would try it again at 38, and again at 39 ... and then boom, they just don't have it anymore.

I still think of Steve Young (last play was a concussion) and Brett Favre (that random game they played outdoors in freezing weather because the Metrodome was damaged), and him getting carted off for good after one too many smashing hits down to the concrete-like turf.

Jim Rome the radio guy has a good way of putting it ... the athlete himself is usually the last to know.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Ruth as a Boston Brave or Willie Mays as a Met.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Another person is Andruw Jones...if the guy would have just got it together after his miserable season in LA, got in shape and worked on his swing, he'd be in the 500 home run club, in the 3000 hit club and get into the hall of fame. Now he's a scrub on the yankees. And the worst part is, scouts say he still has the talent!

Yeah, he could have been great, but now I am really hoping the Yankees won't bring him back.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Definitely Griffey. I idolized him as a kid with his smooth natural swing and awesome competitiveness. Once he was traded to Cincinnati I did not follow him as much (and no I'm not a Seattle fan). He was riddled with injuries and when you talk to people now about him, yeah, they are all glad he ended his career with Seattle, but they always mention the time he fell asleep in the clubhouse when he was being called in to pinch-hit. lol.

I was also a big fan of Frank Thomas, but he kinda faded away with the whole Blue Jays and Oakland Athletics thing...

Just my 2 cents!
KrissyNBrandon

Ted Williams hitting one out in his last at-bat has to be the ultimate way to go out, though
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's