`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pack searcher encounter #9

RE: Pack searcher encounter #9
I'm 52 and I have absolutely no problem buying cards at the big retail stores. As for pack searchers, my wife is harder on them than I am. We saw a searcher at our local Walmart and she said "look at that, he's pack searching the baseball cards" loud enough to have people turn and look at him. He put down his haul and did a litle "hauling" himself. Right out the door.
[Image: 1969WorldSeriesTicket.jpg]
I collect 1969 Mets memorabilia and 1960 Topps baseball, nothing else.
My 1969 Mets PC Bucket:
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/d3a3l3e3/library/1969%20NY%20Mets%20PC?sort=6&page=1

(11-04-2012, 07:18 AM)stera8 Wrote: Yeah. A slit in the back... Sad

But to the OP the guy was feeling blaster boxes??

And also I get so paranoid sometimes in target because I like to get bowman chrome blasters and on the three shelves ill search for them in case they're hidden in the back...I get paranoid thinking oh man I hope a kid doesn't walk by thinking I'm searching in the other way lol
no he wasnt searching the blasters. he was searching actual loose packs.

sorry, I haven't been on in a few days and am just now getting to check stuff.
(11-05-2012, 09:21 AM)acevanquish Wrote: Regular buyers should not feel embarrassed. For every person that you feel is judging you for buying 'kids toys' as an adult, there are just as many, or let's say half, who think you're buying them for a kid, or just plain don't notice at all what you have and only want to pay for their stuff and go home.
I don't feel embarrased about collecting cards nor buying them at the stores, its the fact that as a collector I know what these other guys are doing but the majority of other people at the checkouts probably don't notice or don't care. It just kinda strange to see someone just standing over there for 15-20 minutes feeling every single pack, when I just go over there look for the cards I want and go. I don't know if embarrased was the right word I was looking for in my op. it's late and I'm tired.
(11-06-2012, 09:14 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: I wonder why is it always older guys searching..... I mean every story here always mentions an old guy pack searching..... just wondering
not sure why it seems that way. I think of the several times I've encountered this only once or twice was it a younger guy maybe in his mid 20s or so. The other times its been a guy around mid 40s-50s.
(11-04-2012, 06:45 PM)mr pink Wrote: theres a guy that shops at the walmart here. he brings a set of scales in, and weighs every pack of cards. i didnt believe the guy who was stocking the cards when he told me. i grab some packs and walked away to finish my shopping. i walked back up to where the sports cards section was, and there he was. scales on the counter and a box of cards in hand. i couldnt believe it.
that is ridiculous!
(11-06-2012, 01:15 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: I am generally searching for blasters of certain products when I am in that aisle. I slide the boxes around to see what they have and pick the product I want. I NEVER buy retail packs! UNLESS... they are the packs that have been discounted to 99 cents or $1.59.
I generally do the same thing too with the discounted packs. Sometimes you have to be careful though because I've bought those packs before and didn't notice they had already been opened until I got home. I have pulled a few autos and numbered cards from the discounted packs too, but other than that I buy sealed boxes only.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

some of these guys dont even care and leave the loose cards just laying there, not even inside the pack they just opened. Ive seen it a lot!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(11-09-2012, 08:59 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: some of these guys dont even care and leave the loose cards just laying there, not even inside the pack they just opened. Ive seen it a lot!
same here. what a shame.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

Can I get a recap of the first 8?

(11-09-2012, 08:59 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: some of these guys dont even care and leave the loose cards just laying there, not even inside the pack they just opened. Ive seen it a lot!
That used to happen at my local KMart ALL the time. Then they moved the sports cards into the aisle with childrens Action Figure toys (ie. GI Joe/ WWE figures/ Monster Trucks/ etc.). Since then, I have never seen opened packs scattered around like that. There is a very obvious camera pointed down that aisle.
At my local Target/Walmart stores, the cards are very close to checkout lines to discourage people from doing that.