`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading services question

Grading services question
I am going to have some vintage cards graded soon and I'm torn between which of the 3 to use. BVG is probably my last choice but I do like the look of their slabs the best, PSA and SGC are both more accurate and consistent with vintage IMO but I do not like fact that the card can freely move in the PSA case, I have never held an SGC case so I don't know how that compares to the others, can someone give me some insight on SGC cases? thickness, weight, card protection, etc?

RE: Grading services question
As angry as I am on BGS right now because of my recent order, I will say they grade vintage fairly.
I go by this scale:
pre 1960's = SGC
1960's - 1989 = PSA
90's - present = BGS
SGC cases are pretty nice (especially for vintage). Just a hair taller than PSA, and just a hair thicker as well. Still thinner than BGS cases. The black matt inside is cut to size individually per card being submitted.

thanks for the info on the SGC cases, I plan on doing an on site grade with SGC on Dec 7 or 8th at the Philly show... you can't beat the cost and the convenience, and I definitely like the look of the matte as well.

I use BGS, but SGC does look nice.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Use PSA or SGC. The card BARELY moves at all in a PSA case and it certainly isn't enough to warrant not using them. You'll get more for your sale when you use them.

The only problem with PSA is that you have to have a membership so it will end up costing you more if you're only grading a handful of cards. I recommend finding someone you trust that has a PSA membership and subbing through them.

Also, I just graded some card with SGC, and they're holders are fantastic. I collect Allen & Ginter N43 Autographs, which are an oddball size, being more square than a normal card and SLIGHTLY wider, and SGC is the only company that uses a standard slab for them, which they can do because, as mentioned earlier, they custom cut the inserts. Here's what one of mine looks like:

[Image: 2010Tulowitzki.jpg]
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]