Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NBA lost their minds / Panini signs new multi-year contract
Star 
NBA lost their minds / Panini signs new multi-year contract
NBA lost their minds, renewing Panini's multi-year contract to produce NBA cards... creating another Monopoly...

No competition in producing & marketing NBA Basketball cards...

Thread is in reference to the following link:
http://www.beckett.com/news/2012/10/nba-...ent-100669

I left a comment on the above article, but all comments left there are reviewed for "moderation" ... I wish we would have more FREE SPEECH... I wish our comments can be seen by all, without a Beckett Employee reviewing our comments written in response to one of their articles...

I do not think I will be buying any Panini Boxes anytime soon... will focus on picking up singles on the secondary market.... cheaper!!

Average collectors can't afford every product Panini puts out... Young collectors can't afford collecting basketball cards... they have to save up for a few months, just to buy one box....

((looks like Beckett disabled my signature... without telling me... thanks Beckett.))

I'm fed up with NBA's thinking of having a sole Basketball card manufacturer... I wish UD or TOPPS would of put in their bid for the new NBA contract......

Anybody know if the talks of this new NBA License was even made public before they released that it was already signed by Panini...

what does UD & Topps have to say about the new Panini NBA License..???
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

RE: NBA lost their minds / Panini signs new multi-year contract
I read the announcement as well. I don't know what actually happen. Hopefully Topps & UD had the opportunity to bid like last time. If they did and chose not to do so, then it's completely there fault. Competition is always good for the comsumer, but never the companies. I guess I'll stick to picking up a lot of older stuff. Panini does have some cards that catch my eye from time to time so you never know...
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

(10-29-2012, 01:03 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: I left a comment on the above article, but all comments left there are reviewed for "moderation" ... I wish we would have more FREE SPEECH... I wish our comments can be seen by all, without a Beckett Employee reviewing our comments written in response to one of their articles...
there is no such thing as the right to free speech of a privately owned board.

I like most of Panini's cards.. but some of the designs look too similar to their other products... i.e. team logo patches (NBA & College manufactured patches)... too many parallels too.. They put out a base card, then a jersey, patch, & auto parallel of the same card.. the auto parallel is good.. but they could do something else with all those jersey & patch cards... make an actual "insert" instead of a parallel... then Panini manipulates parallel cards with all the different print runs & serial numbers.... well, I guess UD does that too...

Yes, I would like to see a statement form UD & TOPPS, if they did, why they chose not to submit a bid for the NBA License...???

I would of thought UD would want back into the NBA game, now that David Stern says he is stepping down in 2014 as NBA commissioner.

Sports cards is all about money & politics these days... not many people collect for fun or a hobby anymore...

How many kids do you know that collect basketball cards?
How many kids do you know that even collect sports cards??
(10-29-2012, 02:49 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: there is no such thing as the right to free speech of a privately owned board.
No wonder so many Collectors have left the Beckett Community... hmm..

Beckett is the only site that I know screens comments before others can read them.. Every News site or any other forum that I utilize does not screen/review comments before being approved....

They do delete comments if they break TOS or somebody reports that comment because it is written in bad taste.

Beckett Members should be able to read responses good/bad or positive/negative about one of the articles written on their site without having somebody review them... doing this can create a one-sided story...

there is also a delay in the comments being posted once approved... not many Beckett Members are going to go back to that same article more than once... just to read comments...

now, back to the subject of Panini having a Monopoly.... Didn't America learn long ago, that having Monopolies is a bad thing for business... unless you're the one holding the License....
*United States Navy*

It is a shame. I miss refractors from Topps and most of the UD designs. Panini's designs have improved, but UD is stuck with their 1-2 photos of all their college guys...if they decide to continue producing bball cards at all.

I am FAR from an expert in anything business-related, but wouldn't the NBA make more money if 3 separate companies had contracts with them? If, as an example, Panini paid $10 over 3 years for exclusive rights, but they could've gotten $4 million each from Panini, UD, and Topps, then the NBA makes more money. Are the exclusive rights expensive enough to trump the other mode?
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]

You know that commercial when a native american wheeps when a car passing by throws a brown bag full of garbage outside the window....

Yeah, thats how I felt when I saw the title of this thread...
Inconstancy is my very essence says the wheel Rise up on my spokes if ya like but dnt complain wen ya cast back down into the depths Good times pass away but then so do the bad Mutability is our tragedy but its also our hope The worst of times like the best are always passin away http://www.photobucket.com/vgqv

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NBA board and commissioner put together the package they want, set the price they want and then see who wants to bite? If it were the other way around, then every man and his dog would have a card company. Can panini be to blame if Topps once again declined to take on an NBA license? As for upper deck, they'd be lucky to afford toilet paper the way they're going. Don't forget retro was pushed back how long? 18 months? Just so upper deck could gather enough money to be able to actually produce the product?

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

UD made millions & millions off Retro & Exquisite.... the prices per box, almost doubled in a week....
... it's the dirty business of marketing, supply & demand.... aka rationing off product ....

I am so bored with collecting in the last few months.... maybe I'll pick up a new hobby instead of cardboard...
*United States Navy*

why should ud and topps need or want to make a statement. Do each of them not also have exclusive deals with other leagues or players that precludes other companies from making the same products. I believe upper deck has had michael jordan and tiger woods alone under their roof for how many years.

I do not see the big deal. if the other companies wanted in they should have offered up the money. Also maybe the league itself doesnt want to deal with three or more companies when they can have a product and still deal with just one team.

Also freedome of speech doesnt apply here plus if they didnt moderate the comments you would have the responses filled with spam crap. then they would have to go delete that. Or somenoe that decides to use every foul word or image they can think of.

CANCER SUCKS[Image: AVLRCRSDC.jpg]

I'm a HUGE fan of Panini after pulling this out of a random retail pack at Target a couple of weeks ago ... LOL

[Image: Unibrow2.jpg]

But yeah, variety would be nice.