`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love spending my competitor's money

RE: I love spending my competitor's money
I find it entertaining to run up the bill. Just like they do on Storage Wars and car auctions.
[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

I sometimes send a message to the seller saying I may not have won, but I got you some more money Big Grin
[Image: badtime.jpg]

(10-21-2012, 10:29 PM)baseballmason Wrote: Can you say sour grapes? You wouldn't have posted if it wasn't under your skin. Move on. Just an opinion.
+1... well said

Why in the world would you pay that much when the BV is only $80...makes no sense.
(10-22-2012, 01:05 AM)chrisa19978 Wrote: I lost and auction a few months back to a buddy of mine as we both needed this certain Derek Jeter card, book value was $80.00 I sniped it at $500.00 he sniped it a $1000.00 and the closest bid to the both of us was $130.00. So if we didn't compete with each other it would have sold for a lot less.

(10-23-2012, 03:07 PM)acevanquish Wrote: I sometimes send a message to the seller saying I may not have won, but I got you some more money Big Grin
LOL

[Image: Icons-sig-2-1.gif]

(10-23-2012, 03:37 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Why in the world would you pay that much when the BV is only $80...makes no sense.
There are certain cards out there where BV is so outdated, that BVs are just numbers on a page. Certain cards from the 90's or even the 80's (anyone want to sell me a 1982 Topps Blackless Eddie Murray, a 2001 Donruss Diamond Kings Will Clark Reprint, or a 2001 Donruss 2000 Retro Ichiro for BV?) haven't shown up in months or years. The serious collectors of those players/sets will pay many times book to try to get a card they know may not be seen again for a long time.

Certain sets we all know are tough, like the 1996 Select Certified Mirror Golds or the 97 Totally Certified Platinum Golds. Other sets are tougher than most people realize, like the 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promos or some of the Artist's Proofs sets from the mid-1990's.

If you absolutely HAVE to have that particular card and have the funds to get it (and someone else(s) feels the same way), then you will see some of the jaw-dropping prices that you see.
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

Interesting. I have been trying to complete the Topps Series 2 Ring set for a few months now. The last three I needed were the Bench, Griffey and N. Ryan. I would bid up to my limit and people were paying crazy money for these three. I just couldn't understand it. Finally, I said enough is enough and I am going to get these cards regardless of how much they cost me. I ended up getting all three for ver reasonable prices and could probably flip two of them. Funny how that works sometimes.

(10-23-2012, 03:37 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Why in the world would you pay that much when the BV is only $80...makes no sense.
OMG how many times are you going to write this type of response?

Very well said Kesscards
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

Beckett's BV is the Holy Bible (or whatever book you take to be Gospel). The true value of a card is how much someone is willing to pay for it. I would trade down in BV if I was getting a card I really wanted, or bid more than BV suggests if there weren't any others to be found. I would think most people here who call themselves collectors would trade 10 of their random $10 inserts for a $50 card to add to their PC.
take a look at my organize, I have something you like...

[Image: imag0256s.jpg]

(10-25-2012, 01:22 PM)iconms Wrote: OMG how many times are you going to write this type of response?

Very well said Kesscards
As far as I could tell, I only wrote it once. Thanks for noticing.