`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seeking opinions on 86 fleer basketball cards

seeking opinions on 86 fleer basketball cards
I started the task of going after all the bgs 9.5 graded 1986-7 fleer basketball set and its getting quite expensive.
I'm not necessarily looking to flip it for a profit, but I don't want to go in 15k+ knowing that the set will probably lose value due to more cards getting graded.
Any thoughts?
so far I have around 85 cards but if its a losing proposition, i should probably at least have that in mind.
any thoughts?

thanks guys

RE: seeking opinions on 86 fleer basketball cards
If you truly want to collect the set for yourself.. I would keep it up, but buy them when you see them for a decent price.. don't be buying bkb cards using your credit card.. you'll end up paying way more than expected after all that interest adds up.. I spent $5K on one of my credit cards a few years ago, buying cases... & singles I needed. I will never put that much on a credit card again, especially cardboard... credit cards are meant for use during emergencies...

If you can get some cheap BGS 8's, then I would pick those up & then replace them when you can... that way you can still complete a graded set.. & resell them down the road.. keep track how much you spent for them, so you can make sure you don't lose money on them... I've done that with a few of my cards... I started keeping track how much I spent for each of my Jordan Farmar cards...

If you have a photobucket, show off your collection & welcome to Beckett!!

Good luck!!
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

Appreciate the great advice. I have a detailed spreadsheet of the card, grades, pop report, cost etc...so I definitely know exactly how much i spent. My credit card bill is getting a bit out of hand so ive decided to calm things down a bit. It is hard however when you see a card that you need and wonder if i dont jump on it, when it will show up again. If only i had some patience..

Thanks again for the advice. Ill post up some pics once the rest of the cards come in the mail.

(10-17-2012, 08:39 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: If you truly want to collect the set for yourself.. I would keep it up, but buy them when you see them for a decent price.. don't be buying bkb cards using your credit card.. you'll end up paying way more than expected after all that interest adds up.. I spent $5K on one of my credit cards a few years ago, buying cases... & singles I needed. I will never put that much on a credit card again, especially cardboard... credit cards are meant for use during emergencies...

If you can get some cheap BGS 8's, then I would pick those up & then replace them when you can... that way you can still complete a graded set.. & resell them down the road.. keep track how much you spent for them, so you can make sure you don't lose money on them... I've done that with a few of my cards... I started keeping track how much I spent for each of my Jordan Farmar cards...

If you have a photobucket, show off your collection & welcome to Beckett!!

Good luck!!

sorry for bringing back an old thread...just wanted to give an update: done! Smile

http://s279.beta.photobucket.com/user/el...ball%20Set

NO APOLOGY NECESSARY!

That is an awesome accomplishment. I am guessing though that you probably spent more than $15K on this set. The Jordan alone probably set you back close to or over $8K unless you bought it several years ago. I have been seeing some of the others like Dominique sell around $4k recently as well.

I think this is still a highly sought after set for many collectors. At least those that have the money. I would think you could at least get your money back or maybe even make a profit for at least the next 10 years or so.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

Thanks! I did pay more than 15k on the set, but the Jordan was probably the card I got the best deal on. I bought that card several years ago for about 3.5k if I remember correctly. The Lewis lloyd cost me the most, believe it or not. I think that card alone cost me 600 and was the second most expensive to the Jordan.
My last card was the Byron Scott and that set me back 350.00. That card had a fairly decent POP but for some reason it was the hardest to find.
Impatience probably was my worst enemy. I probably could have saved a bit of money if I didn't always think that a card I'd see on eBay was my last chance in getting it.
I'm currently on a quest to upgrade all the centering sub-grades to 9.5 or better. After that is done, i'll give the hobby a rest for a while.
I saw that someone was selling a nearly complete 9.5 sticker set but the price tag was way too much for me...20k. It would be awesome to have both the regular set and sticker set i 9.5 but I decided to just pick up a bgs 9 sticker set instead.
I grew up in the era of this set and very happy that I was able to have this set for my collection.

congrats on the accomplishment. that's a nice looking bucket.

(03-04-2013, 06:46 AM)hercules21 Wrote: congrats on the accomplishment. that's a nice looking bucket.
STUNNING!! Greatest basketball set of all time, hands down.

I was going after a full BGS 8.5 set and decided to sell off commons and change out to raw because it was getting expensive...at 9.5??? DAMN.

(03-04-2013, 12:04 PM)user_3n5kp Wrote: STUNNING!! Greatest basketball set of all time, hands down.

I was going after a full BGS 8.5 set and decided to sell off commons and change out to raw because it was getting expensive...at 9.5??? DAMN.
Thanks!
It is expensive but it's really not that bad if you compare it to the modern jersey/auto/numbered/logoman etc etc the can be multiple thousands per card even though they're not their rookie cards. I don't think I can/should get into the modern cards.

(03-04-2013, 12:37 PM)Elee712 Wrote: Thanks!
It is expensive but it's really not that bad if you compare it to the modern jersey/auto/numbered/logoman etc etc the can be multiple thousands per card even though they're not their rookie cards. I don't think I can/should get into the modern cards.
Modern gets outrageous.A 9.5 Fleer set is so much nicer IMO. Its what got me back into collecting actually. 80's NBA was such an amazing era. The Star base sets are a nice challenge too.