`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
(10-16-2012, 11:14 AM)nineof Wrote: One bad thing about this hobby sometimes, is dealing with other people in this hobby. Lol. I know some of you know what I'm talking about. If not, pay no attention to the hermit... Lol.
I've been selling off my Bradford autos on eBay. They don't all sell, obviously, but after one card didn't sell, I was contacted by a potential buyer. He said that card has been selling for x amount on eBay, so would I sell it to him for x amount rather than relisting it. I said, sure... I mean, it was only a small percentage less than what I was asking, so why not make some cash. Then he pays me... x amount - 10%! because "that's what I would have gotten on ebay! What a d-bag! I laid into him and he apologized and said he would take care of it. He bought several more cards without any major issues (although he tried to lowball me each and every time).

The last time I dealt with him was the straw that broke the camel's back. He asked me the price on one of my favorite Bradford cards. I quoted him a price that was ~90% of book value. He said ok. Then he said no. Then he said ok. Then no again, claiming he just sold his own card for less than half of what I wanted for my card, and he didn't think he could flip it since his customers were down on Bradford (it was still the preseason, so expectations were near the bottom). I wrote him back, and very bluntly told him, I didn't give a flying f### about his customers, and my price was THE price. He then writes me back and says I sounded a little upset in my previous email. I snapped... I told him I was seriously f'n pissed off with him. I came down on him with every curse word I could think of while explaining how I had every right to be mad. He was constantly flip-flopping one whether or not he was going to buy my card, and how he had consistently lowballed me. And I told him I didn't care if he bought my card or not. I was done talking to him. And I kid you not... Three minutes later, I get an email from PayPal stating I was just paid my full asking amount. It was the last time I ever heard from him.

So yeah... Dealing with the pinheads is my worst part of the hobby, and one of the reasons I no longer collect. No "sometimes" about it. Wink
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
When you send a best offer and its declined right off the bat. I find the lack of negotiation skills disturbing. I hit the best offers more cause I find the negotiations fun. Must have done 50 BO this year and only one negotiated and got a nice card for a respectable price.
Who Dat Nation, Who Dat Pride!!!!!!! I am all about New Orleans and collecting Saints memorabilia.

[Image: imagesCAB5DF6E_zpsc77d5e81.jpg]

http://s448.photobucket.com/home/codenamelawman/index

(10-17-2012, 07:20 AM)bigdehart64 Wrote: When you send a best offer and its declined right off the bat. I find the lack of negotiation skills disturbing. I hit the best offers more cause I find the negotiations fun. Must have done 50 BO this year and only one negotiated and got a nice card for a respectable price.
I always assumed it was an automatic setting or something, because that's happened to me, too ... rejected within seconds. Maybe they set up automatic replies for anything under a certain amount or whatever ... ? ...

I just had a new occur this morning. Found a PC card on ebay with a buy it now and best offer option.

So, I sent my first best offer for half of the asking price. Declined immediately (guess auto-declined).

Sent another offer at 62.5% of BV. Again, declined. So had one offer left. Sent it last night at 75% of asking price. Again, declined.

So, I PMed the seller and ask him what the deal is. He said the lowest "best offer" he'd take was his asking price. He set up to auto decline anything under his asking price.

Really? Why even have the best offer option.

That's one of my peeves. The other is the whole thing like someone said about people sending offers or asking you to check them and then they never, ever respond. I have a couple of offers that I have had up for over 8 days. I usually cancel an offer if no response within 48 hours. The only reason I have kept these is because 1 of the traders hasn't been on beckett since I sent the offer and the other offer is for a very nice, rare PC card I need. He's on just about every day and hasn't responded or anything. I am thinking about sending him a message through the PM (messages through the trade page have yet to be answered).

(10-17-2012, 11:47 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I always assumed it was an automatic setting or something, because that's happened to me, too ... rejected within seconds. Maybe they set up automatic replies for anything under a certain amount or whatever ... ? ...
yeah prob so. It just takes all the fun out of it.
Who Dat Nation, Who Dat Pride!!!!!!! I am all about New Orleans and collecting Saints memorabilia.

[Image: imagesCAB5DF6E_zpsc77d5e81.jpg]

http://s448.photobucket.com/home/codenamelawman/index

I did a BO just the other day the guy wanted $16 so I offered $8 which I thought was still fair and he counted at $15.75. lol

My biggest pet peeve is the monkeys with wings that keep zooming in on me and taking all my Jordan Todman cards. I wish I knew what they were doing with them
[Image: 2a1aA.jpg]

(10-16-2012, 05:54 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I'm going to go with pack searchers.
100% agreed! I remember seeing a pack searcher first in the mid-90s, looking for die-cut cards. Now these fools are looking for thicker jersey cards, damaging other packs in the process. And is it really worth the time to drive around, looking for the one or two hits? Makes me wish every pack came with decoys.

Flippers in general suck IMHO.... I know it's part if the hobby, but its sickening selling my cards to a person and giving them a sick deal because I was told it was for their "PC" then a week later it is for sale on fleabay for three times what they paid... Not cool...

scammer's, lowballer's, people who don't pay/send their end of the trade ..... shall I continue ???

it's become disturbing the amount of trades we have had gone bad, I've had to launch 6 "report buyers" on da 'bay this month alone (believe it or not I only sold 19 items ??? Sad) it's honestly getting kind of depressing Sad

I still work on a "handshake" and a "man's word" but maybe that's my folly Blush

I'm down to about 10-15 people I will trade with now, been burned way too many times, and am totally tired of folks trying to get the "upper hand" Sad

I love collecting and sharing with others, it's a passion that's hard to give up, but folks are changing ..... it's no longer the love of the game, it's turning ugly to say the least ..... it's cardboard, not Google stocks ???

this is one of the reasons I have been "quiet" of late ..... I haven't many positive things to say ..... and if things don't turn around soon, I'll just stop trading etc. altogether and just work on our PC's Blush

just my thoughts .....
pbean