`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?

Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
I think its greed with laziness being a close 2nd.

In this particular instance:

Two weeks ago or so there was a NICE ZT Ive wanted for what seems like forever. Well I put in a bid that I thought would win and it did not. I lost. I was upset about it but accepted it as its part of the hobby. Fast forward to now the same card popped up on ebay for about 3 and 1/2 times more than what he originally paid for it. I realize there is nothing illegal/immoral about this in anyway but I just dont like the "Im going to buy this and try and make a profit just because" aspect of the hobby. I also know everyone including myself has taken part in this practice at least once but that doesnt mean I dont hate it.

Also I know some people who will read this want to say "perhaps you shouldve bid more" and my response is simply "DUH!!!!".

What are some stories or observations about this hobby that gets under your skin? Have you done the exact same thing to someone else? Im just curious.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
Honestly, I've never tried to flip a card like that before. This is really my hobby, not trying to make a buck while doing it. Not saying people suck if they do try to make some cash. However, hostage takers DO suck.Sometimes you've just got to shoot the hostage. Big Grin I have no idea what that means in this case, just felt like quoting "Speed" for some strange reason...
Currently collect: NON-SERIAL NUMBERED autos, Topps, and Topps Chrome cards of players in Bengals uniforms.

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
(10-16-2012, 12:43 AM)nineof Wrote: Honestly, I've never tried to flip a card like that before. This is really my hobby, not trying to make a buck while doing it. Not saying people suck if they do try to make some cash. However, hostage takers DO suck.Sometimes you've just got to shoot the hostage. Big Grin I have no idea what that means in this case, just felt like quoting "Speed" for some strange reason...
That is hilarious!!! lol. Nothing wrong with quoting movies from 1994. I actually just watched that movie a few weeks back for probably the 50th time. Not sure if I should admit that publicly though haha.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

When it comes to cards of the guys I like to collect, I want to have one of them all so personally I'm not a fan of cards #d less than 5.
Collecting: Miles Burris ~ Howie Long ~ Tyvon Branch ~ Stefen Wisniewski ~ Lamarr Houston ~ Rod Streater ~ Rhett Ellison

I hate being broke all the time. So much stuff I want and not enough money. So the part I hate about this hobby is my job lol
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/

Personally, I have never sold ANY of my cards. eBay, Beckett, etc., etc...
I COLLECT cards. I will trade the ones that mean much more for another collector for the cards that will be cards for my PC.
I fully agree with you though 'bakerman'. I really hate seeing someone outbid me for a DeAngelo Williams card or an Ozzie Smith MLB card ONLY to turn around and re-list it for several times what they bought it for. That REALLY ticks me off!!!
I let several cards slip through my hands last summer b/c someone bid way higher than I would've gone.

As for this line:
'Also I know some people who will read this want to say "perhaps you shouldve bid more" '
'DUH!!' really is the only reply you can make. If those folks had your wallet or mine, they wouldn't reply with such a common-sense reply.

I have barely had money to buy cards in any way from any sport this year. I didn't spend a penny on ANY 2012 products this year (NFL/MLB/NASCAR). I bought a few singles off the bay for my Ozzie Smith PC, but ALL my 2012 cards were MLB cards and came from my Grandma and Nephew for my birthday back in July.

Again it's not a moral issue but a common sense one for me.

Just because someone has 1 good game doesn't mean you need to ask the moon and the stars for their stuff. So in the end I guess what I hate the most about the hobby are prospectors who think every single thing they are trying to sell is worth it's weight in gold. Again everyone has a right to ask whatever they want but sometimes it's just ridiculously funny.

Another thing I hate is the fact that sellers have the option of ending a listing early if they aren't getting what they want for an item. This is what having a reserve and fixed pricing with BIN are for otherwise start the auction at the minimum you're willing to take and let it run it's course.

One last peeve of mine is when you have a patch or jersey card numbered to say /1500 for example and just because one patch has multiple colors and another has maybe a single color or only 2 colors people automatically think that the multiple color one is all of a sudden worth 10x more. In the end there are 1500 made and IMO one shouldn't be worth more than the other just because of how many colors it has. Yeah I get it that the multi color ones are more desirable and it's supply vs. demand blah blah blah but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Im always broke so its no big deal to me lol Ive tried selling inserts and other cards on the bay but I have learned that if you start an auction for .99 and get 1 bid and if you sell a card for .99 free shipping paypal will take 33 cents ebay takes 9 cents and and shipping in a pwe is still at least 50 cents whatever it is so you cant even make a dime so e-bay ticks me off lol but I have never flipped cards per say but I have traded to 1 person just so I can trade it off to another and have gotten good deals on the bay and traded them BV on here but thats the extent of it ....I really hate the fact I dont have the Peyton Manning Captains patch yet ..The biggest part of the hoppy I hate is....Getting stuck behind a school bus on my to the LCS
Photobucket

Why would there be a premium on gem mint cards produced after 2000? They should not be on the same scale as gem mint or mint vintage cards.

worst part of the hobby, in three parts:

1. rookie jersey cards. absolutely worthless...none are game used, most are from the event worn stuff. i wont touch that stuff, i and for the most part, i try not to sell it. i think at it's most basic level, it's fraud

2. redemption cards. at it's worst, it is bait and switch. again, at it's rotten core, it's fraud

3. what i call the "value perception dichotomy":

people complain that bv's are inflated, that they dont sell for near that much on ebay, without realizing people dont pay as much on ebay because they dont get the card right away, dont get to inspect the card before buying, have to pay for shipping.

at the same time, people complain when their cards go down in value, an when their cards dont sell for as much as they want