`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
I know I answered before, but the thread has taken a slightly different turn. The worst thing about the hobby cards coming from the manufacturers now are these two items:
"Event-Worn Mem. cards" = absolute crap that I have no interest in owning or buying! AU'd or not, I just don't find these worth being in my PC!
"Manufactured Mem. cards" = mostly crap that I have no interest in paying for!
Event-worn memorabilia cards are a complete waste of cardboard AND fabric.
Manufactured memorabilia cards are 'mostly' wastes of cardboard and fabric. I can't say that I don't like Topps' MLB replica WS patch cards, but the rest is pretty much junk.
Personally, what keeps me from buying newer boxes of NFL and MLB cards is the fact that the 'hits' are purely based on RC's AND the box prices are way too high for the number/quality of cards received in those boxes.

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
The fact that I am stuck in Afghanistan and havent been able to open a single pack of 2012 cards.
US Army Mechanic collecting 49er Greats; Rice, Montana, Craig, Rathman, Patrick Willis, etc.

For me, I can deal with alot of issues including people buying and reselling cards for more than they paid, the market fluctuates per player, yes I have bought a card and sold it for more because the player hit a hot streak.

Now the part I cant handle and is why I got out of the hobby is the card companies specifically panini, I have outstanding redemptions from 18 months ago. I refuse to accept a replacement, I bought the redemptions for the player they promised to provide cards of, but have failed. The redemptions have ruined this hobby. I have continually been screwed. I have spent thousands of dollars to build sets, including exquisite, only to come up one card short because the card company claims the card was produced, but has never been for sale or trade in 4 years of looking for it. I refuse to give these card companies anymore of my money and will keep the cards I have. It seems like they have a bunch of businessman who have no passion for the hobby making poor decision. With the economy the way it is, I will take my $1000-1500 a month i used to spend on the hobby and double up vehicle payments. In my opinion, these card companies, panini, are committing fraud with these redemptions.

I havent been on this site in months and saw this thread and felt the need to weigh in. By not being involved in the hobby anymore, this also means no more bgs submissions or anything. Sorry beckett, you have been great for the hobby. I just got turned off by bad business practices.

Some of these submissions have more than one card under each.

Request # Request Type Opened By Updated By Responses Status
207586 Redemption Timothy (07/06/11 12:45 AM) Pending Initial Request Active
182798 Redemption Timothy (04/10/11 04:15 PM) Pending Initial Request Active
178495 Redemption Timothy (03/30/11 06:18 PM) Timothy (03/30/11 06:19 PM) 1 Response Active
175488 Redemption Timothy (03/24/11 06:18 PM) Pending Initial Request Active
170395 Redemption Timothy (03/14/11 07:50 PM) Pending Initial Request Active
162830 Redemption Timothy (02/28/11 06:28 PM) Pending Initial Request Active

I would like to say topps was the only ones who actually paid attention to what redemptions they circulated. I have never had a redemption go unfulfilled by Topps. Good job, but your competition still sucks.

(10-19-2012, 11:11 AM)Pigskin-Papa Wrote: I don't collect as much as use to but my complaints would be...

1) Too many products -- only a couple products hold their value

2) Damaged cards --- if you pay 300+ for five cards, shouldn't they already come in a protective case
Both of these are very good points!
New list for me lol

1. Redemptions need to go
2. Event worn stuff is really terrible (I still buy it since there is nothing else)
3. Flooding the market with autos.
4. People not responding to PMs
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

a new not so new item in general: People who you propose a trade to but they can't reply, but they can be seen posting in their thread or other people's threads. I'm ok if the person says hey, I'm looking through offers and I'll get back with you. It's another when you see them online posting, yet they don't have the courtesy to get back to offers beforehand. IMO, an offer or proposed offers are closer to completing a trade vs a post hoping to trade
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

+1 that annoys me also, if you don't want to trade, that's fine just let me know but to let it sit for days and they follow up the trade comments, pass and added to ignore.

(11-05-2012, 05:03 PM)ft28jags Wrote: a new not so new item in general: People who you propose a trade to but they can't reply, but they can be seen posting in their thread or other people's threads. I'm ok if the person says hey, I'm looking through offers and I'll get back with you. It's another when you see them online posting, yet they don't have the courtesy to get back to offers beforehand. IMO, an offer or proposed offers are closer to completing a trade vs a post hoping to trade
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

The only thing that annoys me is this so called ebay 1 of 1 crap! drives me crazy! I dont know that hits a nerve high in my brain and sends a pain all the way down to my toe! its 11/999 but its his jersey number so im going to sell it for 100 dollars more! wtf is that crap. When I was active on this site a while back I wanted this Mike Thomas off this kid and he wanted so much over BV because it was his jersey number on the SN. All I want is the card lol... This new age jersey number shat drives me crazy can't you tell....

One slight complaint stop making so many sets! Narrow the trade down! Make our cards have some worth years from now. All I am asking! lol! STOP THE STICKER AUTOS! K thanks

I'm done
[Image: mikethomas_banner-1.jpg]
Mike Thomas Collection Thread
Working 3rd shift, so please be patient to my replies Smile

I don't let stuff sit for days especially when I see the person I'm trying to trade with online posting.
(11-05-2012, 05:31 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: +1 that annoys me also, if you don't want to trade, that's fine just let me know but to let it sit for days and they follow up the trade comments, pass and added to ignore.
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

I didn't mean you specifically, /facepalm.

(11-05-2012, 06:23 PM)ft28jags Wrote: I don't let stuff sit for days especially when I see the person I'm trying to trade with online posting.
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Lol. I didn't think you meant me as I respond rather quickly one way or the other. My statement is factual in nature not specifics.
(11-05-2012, 06:57 PM)englandhousehold Wrote: I didn't mean you specifically, /facepalm.
My Flickr