`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
(10-17-2012, 09:12 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: I did a BO just the other day the guy wanted $16 so I offered $8 which I thought was still fair and he counted at $15.75. lol
Then you must counter at $8.25. Or better yet, $7.75. LOL
(10-17-2012, 11:25 PM)jplarson Wrote: 100% agreed! I remember seeing a pack searcher first in the mid-90s, looking for die-cut cards. Now these fools are looking for thicker jersey cards, damaging other packs in the process. And is it really worth the time to drive around, looking for the one or two hits? Makes me wish every pack came with decoys.
Amen ... and the funny thing is, like 99 percent of the time, it's a plain white swatch of a scrub.

I've only pulled one jersey-auto in my life, a James Anderson (Spurs) jersey auto out of one of the 10-11 products (forget which, maybe Threads?)

So, in reality, the moron would most likely pay $3 to pull a card that he would be lucky to get $1 for on the bay ... then again, they're not the sharpest tools in the shed to begin with.

Anyway, yeah, decoys in every pack would work — the companies probably think it costs too much.

Then again, they might sell more retail packs to make up for it if more people were confident the pack jerkers were being run out of the hobby.

RE: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
google stock got a kick in the nuts today Smile
(10-18-2012, 06:15 PM)pbean Wrote: scammer's, lowballer's, people who don't pay/send their end of the trade ..... shall I continue ???

it's become disturbing the amount of trades we have had gone bad, I've had to launch 6 "report buyers" on da 'bay this month alone (believe it or not I only sold 19 items ??? Sad) it's honestly getting kind of depressing Sad

I still work on a "handshake" and a "man's word" but maybe that's my folly Blush

I'm down to about 10-15 people I will trade with now, been burned way too many times, and am totally tired of folks trying to get the "upper hand" Sad

I love collecting and sharing with others, it's a passion that's hard to give up, but folks are changing ..... it's no longer the love of the game, it's turning ugly to say the least ..... it's cardboard, not Google stocks ???

this is one of the reasons I have been "quiet" of late ..... I haven't many positive things to say ..... and if things don't turn around soon, I'll just stop trading etc. altogether and just work on our PC's Blush

just my thoughts .....
pbean
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

(10-18-2012, 04:07 AM)slotman11 Wrote: Flippers in general suck IMHO.... I know it's part if the hobby, but its sickening selling my cards to a person and giving them a sick deal because I was told it was for their "PC" then a week later it is for sale on fleabay for three times what they paid... Not cool...
I agree 100 percent — if they make the PC stipulation and lie about it.

I admit, I sell cards on the bay all the time, and I hate it when a card shop buys them ... because they're just going to flip it. (Or try to).

Nothing wrong with it, but I always like it when, for example, a guy in Michigan buys a Tigers card or whatever, because hopefully it is for his PC or his kid or whatever.

The weirdest one to happen to me was when Leaf Trading Cards bought my Sidney Crosby auto a couple of months back ... I'm pretty sure it will end up in a "Best of Hockey" product in the near future.

I'm not sure how to feel about that ... LOL

Panini, nuff said... funny how my low low end redemptioms get to my house. Had a couple nice ones once in a blue moon...
I LIVE for "Soup Kitchens" with "Dirty Mike" and the boys!!! BAHAHAHA!!!!

The sense of entitlement that guaranteed hits give to people.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(10-18-2012, 11:30 PM)totter Wrote: Panini, nuff said... funny how my low low end redemptioms get to my house. Had a couple nice ones once in a blue moon...
You are lucky - i cant even get the low end ones form them.
NY Giants and HOF/legend/superstar collector.
[Image: GiantsFade.png]

(10-16-2012, 12:34 AM)bakerman8419 Wrote: Just to get an overall feel...What do you think is the worst part of this hobby?
The fact that it has become more of a business than a hobby.

"Manufactured memorabilia."

Think about it.

I don't collect as much as use to but my complaints would be...

1) Too many products -- only a couple products hold their value

2) Damaged cards --- if you pay 300+ for five cards, shouldn't they already come in a protective case

Event worn. Nothing drives down values more than having 8000+ (just a guess, probably more in the 12,000 plus range) event worn cards produced for each rookie every year. I have officially stopped buying cards packs and boxes because companies don't care about us. No matter what we say they won't change.
Instead of cutting up those event worn jerseys put them as a redemption in one of every three cases or something and make it worth something again.
collecting LeGarrette Blount, Colt Lyerla & other Ducks
[Image: youngducks-1.png]
[Image: inceptionrainbow3.jpg]

Let's see:

Event worn memorabilia.

"Memorabilia" which is "not from any specific game, event, or season"

Questionable "game worn memorabilia

The fact that if someone actually did cut up an actual game worn jersy of a Hall of Famer its actually kind of awful. Even cutting up a game worn jersey of a scrub kind of sucks. As bad as the manufactured memorabilia and event worn stuff is its less awful that chopping up real items.

Pack Searchers looking for memorabilia cards

So i would scrap all memorabilia cards all together and go with only autographs. Autograph cards are cool except:

having so many autographs that players are "signing" an almost illegible initial or something.

Paying $100+ for a box and getting one autograph card of a late round draft pick of a rookie who is spending all of his time signing autographs and some lousy "event worn" memorabilia cards

sticker autograph cards

Looking through the $2.50 box at the LCS and realizing that most of the stuff in there is better than many of your recent "hits" from boxes.

The fact that Upper Deck has an exclusive license for college football and doesn't have an NFL license.

The fact that only Panini and Topps have NFL licenses but do not have college licenses.

The fact that Press Pass and SAGE have licenses from nobody other than the players. Especially bad with Press Pass who generally does a good job in card design and features on card autographs

The fact that Benchwarmer which makes cards of women whose main clam to "fame" is appearing anonymously in a beer commercials can come up with better designs for autograph cards than Panini or Topps.

The fact that everyone is trying to make a profit off of you

Never pulling cards of your favorite team.

The fact that they don't have autograph cards of all of the players you really want who you remember from the 1980s.

Working in an office building which is almost right next door to a Target which has actually yielded some good pulls for me and frequently puts out discounted product

Living only a few blocks away from a Local Card Shop

Too much temptation to buy more cards thanks to those past two

The fact that I still can't find my football cards from my childhood - sure, most of that mid 1980s stuff probably isn't worth very much, but I don't know why I could find all of my baseball cards but only a couple of the football cards. I know i bought more football cards than that as a child. I also had some basketball cards, but who cares about basketball?

Making enough good pulls that i don't get fed up with buying boxes.

Dud boxes.

And of course, not having more money to buy more cards and boxes.