`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Serious Question for Hockey Fans And Collectors
10-10-2012, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 10:53 PM by rjcj2017.)
Serious Question for Hockey Fans And Collectors
Hey guys, I'm a very average hockey fan and collector ... I can tell you most of the stars' names on most of the teams, but that's about it.

I usually have little to no idea about the rookies until everyone else gets excited about them and starts pulling them, just to give you some perspective.

The funny thing is, relative to what I spend/bust, I do far better on hockey cards than any other sport.

Claims to fame:
— One box of 05-06 Upper Deck 1: Crosby YG RC
— One box of 05-06 Upper Deck 2: Ovechkin YG RC, with Crosby Victory RC is same pack!
— One blaster of 11-12 Score: Nugent-Hopkins SP RC

However, I was more into it before guys like Yzerman retired from my Red Wings.

I've been very curious about the lockout situation, since it looks like it's happening for the second time in like seven or eight years, right?

My question is this ... does it help or hurt your collecting, as far as your enthusiasm for it/spending habits? Does it help keep the cost of packs/boxes/singles down, i.e., can it be a good thing?

I don't remember enough about the 04-05 lockout to know, but will it screw up Panini's release calendar this year?

I've seen Score and Artifacts out on the retail shelves, but I know the NBA lockout killed Panini's calendar last year.

Anyway, just curious ... I hope the lockout ends soon.

UPDATE: JUST WANTED TO CONGRATULATE YOU GUYS ON THE LOCKOUT ENDING. I ADMIRE YOUR GUYS' PASSION FOR THE SPORT AND THE CARDS! RJ
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
RE: Serious Question for Hockey Fans And Collectors
It won't affect my collecting habits. It will be a buyer's market during the lockout from what I've seen and there is potential for products to cut production or possibly stop releasing products during the lockout. I will assume product will still come out just with a rookie checklist derived from late debuts last season. Artifacts technically was released during the lockout so I assume Certified and UD1 will come out as scheduled. I've heard the talk of losing fans permanently, but I will stick with it, especially my Kopitar PC as long as I can. Watching the Kings win the Cup and Kopitar with the OT Game 1 winner will forever be a memory for me and will keep me interested in his cards going forward.

[Image: KopitarAnze11Banner.jpg]
http://www.kopitarcollector.com
10-10-2012, 03:35 PM
As long as they are still putting out new stuff I will by.
So far the NHL has not put restrictions out that would cause the companies to stop putting out cards. That is what happened during the NBA lockout. Companies where forbidden to put out products that pictured players in their team uniforms.

I think that as long as collectors keep buying at a good pace they will keep putting new product out.
10-10-2012, 04:06 PM
2 of my guys aren't in the NHL anymore, one is in the NFL and the other hasn't started playing in the NHL yet, so my collecting isn't really affected. I will be buying only ITG this season, other than the odd retail pack. I don't see how the lockout would affect ITG at all.

Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Awesome, thanks.
10-11-2012, 07:17 AM
I am a player collector, so I don't see much difference in my habits. I will buy a few boxes (with HoF and all-star autos) for traders, but it will be few and far between.

Randi

Photobucket
[Image: HALAK_zps26c7055e.jpg]
10-12-2012, 12:27 AM
(10-11-2012 07:17 AM)rayeates Wrote:  I am a player collector, so I don't see much difference in my habits. I will buy a few boxes (with HoF and all-star autos) for traders, but it will be few and far between.

Randi

Yeah, seems like it's not/won't be bothering too many collectors.

Who are the big rookies this year? Will they still be released?
10-12-2012, 12:51 AM
i'm like you, i don't have much hockey knowledge, so i rely on what i see on the web. i know the key rookies but wouldn't be able to predict any sleepers or lower drafted players. and like you, i too have pulled much better in hockey than any other sport...so i am concerned that this year will be a bust.
10-12-2012, 05:37 AM
(10-12-2012 12:27 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote:  Yeah, seems like it's not/won't be bothering too many collectors.

Who are the big rookies this year? Will they still be released?

There won't be too many great RCs this year, as the draft is null. The player all have either gone back to their OHL/WHL/QMJHL clubs, have gone overseas, or have decided to play in the AHL. The only rookies that will have cards this year are the ones that played less than 25 games last year, or who have played less than 6 games in the previous two years, and who do not have cards out already.

You could just start ripping ITG. They have every player as they are not licensed, and do not need special permission to include junior teams.

Randi

Photobucket
[Image: HALAK_zps26c7055e.jpg]
10-12-2012, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2012 08:52 PM by rjcj2017.)
(10-12-2012 12:51 AM)kstjst Wrote:  i'm like you, i don't have much hockey knowledge, so i rely on what i see on the web. i know the key rookies but wouldn't be able to predict any sleepers or lower drafted players. and like you, i too have pulled much better in hockey than any other sport...so i am concerned that this year will be a bust.

It's weird how much better in general I do in hockey.

I really like the sport, it's just that with working nights and watching my kids during the day, my sports viewing and collecting time is somewhat limited.

I probably won't do any hockey this year ... I usually bust a couple of blasters a year just to see if I can pull any Crosby or Stamkos singles.

Although, I quit after one Score blaster last year when I pulled the RNH ... LOL
(10-12-2012 05:37 AM)rayeates Wrote:  There won't be too many great RCs this year, as the draft is null. The player all have either gone back to their OHL/WHL/QMJHL clubs, have gone overseas, or have decided to play in the AHL. The only rookies that will have cards this year are the ones that played less than 25 games last year, or who have played less than 6 games in the previous two years, and who do not have cards out already.

You could just start ripping ITG. They have every player as they are not licensed, and do not need special permission to include junior teams.

Randi

That's helpful, thank you. I don't know if my closest LCS carries ITG ... or any hockey for that matter. There used to be one here in town that sold it (that's where I pulled the Crosby and Ovechkin YGs), but it's out of business now.

The next closest one is about 30 minutes from here. We're in Sharks country, but there's not a big collector base around these parts.