`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Would you pay $200 for a SPA 08-09 ANDREW BYNUM "letter"

RE: Would you pay $200 for a SPA 08-09 ANDREW BYNUM "letter"
Sorry for not answering the question before, but who really can answer this? You gotta like a player in order to drop that type of cash... I wouldn't. But not because the player is not good, but because I don't collect him. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If you enjoy collecting this, then I think $200 is not a lot to spend for a step closer to your hard work. Good for it!
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

rjcj2017... that's the thing.. I lost a couple letters. I know of one "N" I lost already, this might be the same one.. I don't know... I forgot to write down who won it... I used to keep track of certain cards & serial numbers & what user id from what site had the card... but lost interest doing all that extra work..
I like Bynum, but have grown tired of collecting & do not have the excess cash to spend on cardboard anymore.. right now, I am living paycheck to paycheck.. well, actually not a paycheck but a severance check I got from the Navy.. the side job I have don't make nothing..
I like the "letter" chase, but it is very tuff, since there is a low print run.. some of the other product "letters" have crazy prices... everybody thinks they can make a quick buck on low number cards or jersey # cards, because there are only 10 or less... even if the player is not very popular, they thing they can get big bucks... but it's all up to the collector & what the buyer wants to pay..

NBA50... I think $200 is a little steep for this card. If I had the money, I'd try to wheel & deal more with the seller, but I know he's not going to want to go lower.. I have to wait him out... just like the Farmar Ultimate auto/patch/10, I been waiting for the seller to go down on... seller has that card for $195.. then another seller has an Ultimate triple patch /10, that I been wanting.. (actually can care less, because it looks like a jersey, not a patch).. seller wants $75, they did want more, but have dropped it... I think I am the only Farmar Collectors still around... I do not see many of his cards selling anymore, unless for cheap!! I got 4 maybe 5 of the triple patch Farmar card.. but I been putting off my Farmar PC for now... nothing that shows up online interests me & the quad patches with Farmar are over my limit.. for a non-auto card... even if it has kobe on them... I can careless...

here is a link for my Greatest Letter Patch Chase Thread....
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-141...age-1.html
I do need to update some of the pictures.. as I picked an UD BLACK Farmar letter "F" last month..
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

I think it's to much $ but I think we could all understand if you did pay a preminum. That's a hell of a collection! I think you should try and stick with it. I'm in the Navy. Glad to see another military guy around. I just got back to the states from 3 years in Rota, Spain Big Grin
NBA 50 GREATEST AUTOGRAPHS - 48/50 - 96%

50 Greatest still need - Chamberlin, Maravich.

(10-09-2012, 12:59 AM)jpleazme805 Wrote: rjcj2017... that's the thing.. I lost a couple letters. I know of one "N" I lost already, this might be the same one.. I don't know... I forgot to write down who won it... I used to keep track of certain cards & serial numbers & what user id from what site had the card... but lost interest doing all that extra work..
I like Bynum, but have grown tired of collecting & do not have the excess cash to spend on cardboard anymore.. right now, I am living paycheck to paycheck.. well, actually not a paycheck but a severance check I got from the Navy.. the side job I have don't make nothing..
I like the "letter" chase, but it is very tuff, since there is a low print run.. some of the other product "letters" have crazy prices... everybody thinks they can make a quick buck on low number cards or jersey # cards, because there are only 10 or less... even if the player is not very popular, they thing they can get big bucks... but it's all up to the collector & what the buyer wants to pay..

NBA50... I think $200 is a little steep for this card. If I had the money, I'd try to wheel & deal more with the seller, but I know he's not going to want to go lower.. I have to wait him out... just like the Farmar Ultimate auto/patch/10, I been waiting for the seller to go down on... seller has that card for $195.. then another seller has an Ultimate triple patch /10, that I been wanting.. (actually can care less, because it looks like a jersey, not a patch).. seller wants $75, they did want more, but have dropped it... I think I am the only Farmar Collectors still around... I do not see many of his cards selling anymore, unless for cheap!! I got 4 maybe 5 of the triple patch Farmar card.. but I been putting off my Farmar PC for now... nothing that shows up online interests me & the quad patches with Farmar are over my limit.. for a non-auto card... even if it has kobe on them... I can careless...

here is a link for my Greatest Letter Patch Chase Thread....
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-141...age-1.html
I do need to update some of the pictures.. as I picked an UD BLACK Farmar letter "F" last month..
Well, you didn''t mention that you're low on money and don't really want to chase the set anymore ... LOL

That sort of answers your own question, right? ... LOL

Even though I am low on excess money.. money I set aside for vacations or cardboard... or even a few drinks & a night out on the town...

I am able to put it on a credit card, which I do not like doing, because interest will kill you financially in the long run. I'm still trying to pay off two credit cards... I learned not to use credit cards unless an emergency...

I been selling off some of my collection, of cards I am not interested in, duplicates, or some just to make money to buy other cards that I would rather have...

I just picked up Slater Martin Chronology "letter auto" last night.. trying to contact the seller to make sure he puts it in a magnetic onetouch case, instead of a toploaders for shipping.... I received 3 cards of the SPA 08-09 Varsity letters that were creased in the last 6 months... makes me very upset receiving a creased card that was caused during shipping....

That makes 3 of 6 cards that I own of Mr. Martin... I lost one a few weeks ago.. a letter "N"... I hope the person that bought it turns around & throws it back on ebay, because he lost the one I won last night... will post pics when I receive it...
*United States Navy*

(10-07-2012, 09:30 PM)pingbling23 Wrote: if completing the set is important to you, yes. but normally buying one, absolutely no.
I completely agree. I personally would not pay that much, but I am not that close to completing a goal. Have you thought about offering the seller any of your dupes in exchange? Perhaps this person is trying to do the same thing you are.

Jonathan
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I think the seller is trying to get as much bang for his buck as possible.. I am curious why Beckett would list a BV for a card that has a print run of /5 for each different letter..... they total print run listed in beckett is all "letters" added together....

I am going to offer the seller $100, once the buyers pay for the other cards I've sold on ebay.. but that is the highest I am going to go.. but if I do buy it at that price.. then will the BV go up?? haha..

I think Beckett should list each separate "letter" & their print run, because it gets confusing with some of the letters...

take "cityname" version of letters for 2008-09 SPA....

BYNUM has total print run of 16.... which turns out to be 16 different 1/1 cards... since Los Angeles Lakers is spelled with 16 letters..

FARMAR has a total print run of 28... which "Los Angeles" are all 1/1 cards, & "Lakers" has a print run of 3 for each letter... total 28 cards..

somebody that is not familiar with those cards, will not understand the printing/numbering behind this set... also, with players that have the same letter two or more times in their name (i.e. Farmar)... how do I know if I have the first letter "R" or the 2nd letter "R"..... ??

*United States Navy*

Most people on this site may not agree with me because the majority of you all are collectors, but the seller is probably just trying to recoup his/her losses. Yes, the whole point of collecting is to collect...not to think of the losses. But with prices of products today, you can't help but sell what you can...especially if you don't collect a particular player. If that means gouging when you get a supposedly "rare" card, then that's what you gotta do. Especially if a buyer is willing to pay the price. And the bottom line is, if you aren't willing to pay the price that is being asked, then don't complain later if someone else is willing to buy it. But that's the chance you take.

kstjst... Thank you for the comment.. I see your point on the seller's side.. I would do the same too, but knowing to make a quick sell is in most people's mind, so they would drop the price a little..

For me, I put up my Bynum, Luke walton, & Farmar "letter" sets up on ebay, not to sell, but letting others know that are beckett members, that somebody is collecting the set & it will be hard for them to complete it also.. I've been able to pick up almost every one I've seen.. a few I paid more than I wanted, but still thought it was a fair price..

Collectors lose a lot of money busting packs, or if a player gets injured or traded, their cards might go down in price... an example is Farmar.. since he is no longer a Laker.. his cards have dropped big time, since some of his fan base no longer collect him.. same with Brandon Roy.. you can get his RC autos for very cheap.. hoping he comes back & as an all-star season.. so his cards go back up. I lost a lot of money on him.. but that's part of collecting...

Sellers are trying to make a quick buck.. they win some & the lose some.. most small time sellers, in my opinion, are going to lose most of the time... unless they have thousands of dollars to play with... I lost money buying a case of Preferred... still trying to move the cards I do not want, which were just about all of them... Best card was a Bill Russell auto /5.. which I had a hard time moving... I had to drop the price $200 just to sell it..

Sometimes, sellers will try to wait out the collector, until they give into the price... but I do not see that working very often.. because collectors will spend their money elsewhere..

I hope the seller with the Bynum "N" letter drops his price soon... if not, it will be a waiting game until another one pops up... there are 9 more out there somewhere.. I think I remember seeing 2 before, but can't remember exactly when or how many... I know I seen one shop up last year for sure.. wish me luck..
*United States Navy*