`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R. Nugent Hopkins Potential

R. Nugent Hopkins Potential
Just pulled a 2011-12 SPx Finite Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Rookie Card #F37, Level 3, Serial#99/99...Sorry, I don't have a scan for it. But the card, in my estimates, is very very nice. No corner wear what so ever, no surface flaws, no edge wear that I can see, absolutely nothing wrong with it. So, although I've always been against grading (especially hearing how you can actually "buy" grades), I'm thinking of doing just that.

But living in Hawaii, where hockey just isn't as big a sport, I don't keep up with the potential of the rookies as I would for say Football or Basketball (Baseball has waaaayyy too many to keep track of). I know that Nugent-Hopkins was the biggest rookie draw last season...but because it was a relatively weak class (based on sale prices), is his plus side worth my time getting the card graded?

I've made many mistakes before regarding selling too low or too early in a player's career and I want to avoid that again. For instance, during the 2008-09 season, I pulled huge on Stamko's cards...SPx auto patch rookie, a regular #ed to 499 AND a gold #ed/25 and a UD Black Letterman Auto. But I sold most of them during that season when he was the top rookie, but his performance was still just so-so. Of course, as we all know, he went on to a few scoring titles since.

So the question now is...does Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have the potential to overcome a weak class, a lock out, and a sub par team, and become a hobby darling?

I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Thanks!

RE: R. Nugent Hopkins Potential
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would have been "The" rookie in just about any class. His year may have been weak, but the #1 pick was not. I can't say he will be a star, because he already is. He lost Rookie of the Year to Gabriel Landeskog only because Landeskog hits more and is better defensively. RNH is a pure goal scorer and reminds me of a Sakic or Gretzky when he skates (I'm not saying he's necessarily that good, just reminiscent of).

The other half of it is, the Oilers may be weak but, being a Canadian city with an NHL franchise, they are hockey insane. That doesn't always translate to hobby love, but in Edmonton, hockey cards aren't exactly new and it is an area of collecting for sure.

I think the biggest thing RNH will have to overcome to be a hobby darling is he's on the same team as Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Magnus Paajarvi and a few other really young studs. Eberle in particular has lots of collectors.

With that said, I think he'll keep value for awhile.

As for Stamkos, that was an interesting situation. You had the biggest, most anticipated young star since Crosby and Ovechkin playing for a coach who hated him and wouldn't put him on the ice. Once Melrose was given his walking papers, Stamkos emerged.
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

Yes he will, and I take offence to the " subpar team" comment. Also rnh was injured last season and missed a lot of games. I believe he would of been rookie of the year ha he played a full season
Primary PC: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Connor Mcdavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Collecting All Oilers GU/Auto/SN cards

also building sets, needs found here http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1488853.html

(10-09-2012, 03:02 PM)rczubaty Wrote: Yes he will, and I take offence to the " subpar team" comment. Also rnh was injured last season and missed a lot of games. I believe he would of been rookie of the year ha he played a full season
He would have walked away with the rookie scoring title, that's for certain. Landeskog plays a better all-around game and looks 25 out there, not 19. RNH, if he stays healthy, will be a Crosby, Stamkos type superstar while Landeskog will be more of a Joe Thornton type. I think it's more impressive to see a rookie play as well at both ends as Landeskog than a guy like RNH, who comes along every other year in the form of Crosby, Stamkos, etc. There will always be stars to fill that role, but a rookie whose game is as complete as Landeskog's is rare. Nothing against RNH whatsoever, would love him in a Canucks sweater, I just think that, injury aside, Landeskog still had a better overall season than RNH.

And, sorry about subpar. What word would you use for the second worst record last season?
Wink

rczubaty and wickabee --

first and foremost, thanks for the info and education. once again, being from hawaii (even with the internet), we're a little lost on the intricacies of hockey.

secondly, i in no way meant any disrespect for the oilers. the whole "sub par team" thing only referred to their record, which at the end of the day, is what ignorant people (myself included) in a sport goes by. i do know they seem to have a magnificent up-side to their team.

(10-09-2012, 04:31 PM)kstjst Wrote: rczubaty and wickabee --

first and foremost, thanks for the info and education. once again, being from hawaii (even with the internet), we're a little lost on the intricacies of hockey.

secondly, i in no way meant any disrespect for the oilers. the whole "sub par team" thing only referred to their record, which at the end of the day, is what ignorant people (myself included) in a sport goes by. i do know they seem to have a magnificent up-side to their team.
He's just mad because he had to hear the truth one more time, haha.

What? With RNH, Hall, Eberle, Paararvi and now Yakupov and Schultz we aren't going to be able to make fun of the Oilers much longer, so I need to get it all in now.

(I'm a Canucks fan and we're division rivals, so some good natured ribbing is always in order)

What RNH in Edmonton has going for him that, say, Tavares playing for the NY Islanders doesn't is an insane fanbase. Oilers fans live and die by the team and they collect like it. Islanders fans, not so much. Tavares, or even STamkos, has to be that much better just to get noticed. I call it "Shane Doan Syndrome" or "Rick Nash Disease". Great players who should be hobby darlings but go ignored because they play in Phoenix or Columbus, which aren't exactly hockey hotbeds with large fanbases. Edmonton has a much smaller population, but more hockey fans who are hungrier for anything and everything Oiler.