Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the hobby!
Smile 
New to the hobby!
Hey everyone, I'm very new to collecting cards. I only started about a month ago whenever I was helping my grandfather clean out his attic and found some of my uncle's older cards. So far I have around 400-500 cards, and only a few are graded. Most are in very nice condition:

Any tips/suggestions for a rookie like me?

How do I know which cards I should send to beckett to have graded?

What are some of the best ways to come across valuable cards, without paying high-dollar premiums?

What are some cards that will be on the up and coming in the future that I should look into?

Thanks in advance!! Any suggestions are much valued and appreciated!
Currently collecting Ravel Santana Bowman Prospect Auto refractors!
Need: Red, Purple, Gold, Orange & Super.

If you see any items listed on eBay or for trade please let me know!!

RE: New to the hobby!
First off welcome! It can be very fun... Questions answered below.

My advice is to pay the $20/year for org at a minimum, but it is more wise to pay for the pricing since everyone around here trades at book value (BV).

rule of thumb is if you can see damage with the bare eye, dont send them in. The exceptions are if they are older (pre-1970) or a hall of famers...then u can be a little more flexible. any base card from 1980-2005 should not be sent in unless it is a rookie because they were all overproduced and the value has gone to shat.

What are some of the best ways to come across valuable cards, without paying high-dollar premiums?
ebay or craigslist. You can also buy from people here. If you dont want to buy, the best way is to trade.

What are some cards that will be on the up and coming in the future that I should look into?
the hot "up and comers" now are darvish, harper, trout, machado, strasburg. Prospects are a roll of the dice but can pay off down the line. Cards with memorabilia built in or autograghs move the best around here. If you get any jeters from 92-96, only trade them to point401, he's the best!! Smile

Again welcome and happy trading!
Collecting Derek Jeter - primarily 1996 and earlier but will consider anything

Welcome to the hobby the above comments are good starting points!
[Image: marksig1.jpg]
STAN MIKITA CUP FOUNDATIONS
MATT SMABY CUP PRINTING PLATES

BUCKET LINK

(10-12-2012, 05:18 PM)Point401 Wrote: First off welcome! It can be very fun... Questions answered below.

My advice is to pay the $20/year for org at a minimum, but it is more wise to pay for the pricing since everyone around here trades at book value (BV).

rule of thumb is if you can see damage with the bare eye, dont send them in. The exceptions are if they are older (pre-1970) or a hall of famers...then u can be a little more flexible. any base card from 1980-2005 should not be sent in unless it is a rookie because they were all overproduced and the value has gone to shat.

ebay or craigslist. You can also buy from people here. If you dont want to buy, the best way is to trade.

the hot "up and comers" now are darvish, harper, trout, machado, strasburg. Prospects are a roll of the dice but can pay off down the line. Cards with memorabilia built in or autograghs move the best around here. If you get any jeters from 92-96, only trade them to point401, he's the best!! Smile

Again welcome and happy trading!
This is probably one of the best, informative posts i could have received. Currently i am collecting rookies...

I have: (1) derek jeter, (2) ozzie smith, (2)randy johnson, (1) nolan ryan, (1) jack jenkins/bill buckner, (BCCG 10) mariano rivera, (BGS 9.5) griffey jr, and a few others with low book value

(10-12-2012, 03:02 PM)jlandry287 Wrote: Hey everyone, I'm very new to collecting cards. I only started about a month ago whenever I was helping my grandfather clean out his attic and found some of my uncle's older cards. So far I have around 400-500 cards, and only a few are graded. Most are in very nice condition:

Thanks in advance!! Any suggestions are much valued and appreciated!
Welcome!
1) Collect what you like. Doesn't matter if it is design, player, etc. If you like it collect it. That way the hobby will always be fun.
2)If the cards seem centered, have no chips or creases, have good corners and of a good player, then grade it.
3)I buy from Checkoutmycars.com because they are a trusted company, come in good condition, and ship fast. Some people put frauds and scams on eBay, so I prefer Checkoutmycards.com.
4)Buy Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects, or Panini Elite Extra Edition. Those have lots of minor leaguers who could become stars down the road.
Hope that helps. Enjoy!
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

(10-14-2012, 09:45 PM)jlandry287 Wrote: This is probably one of the best, informative posts i could have received. Currently i am collecting rookies...

I have: (1) derek jeter, (2) ozzie smith, (2)randy johnson, (1) nolan ryan, (1) jack jenkins/bill buckner, (BCCG 10) mariano rivera, (BGS 9.5) griffey jr, and a few others with low book value
Which Nolan Ryan (year?)
[Image: badtime.jpg]

(10-15-2012, 07:55 AM)acevanquish Wrote: Which Nolan Ryan (year?)
1974 topps, it's graded 5.5 by Beckett. I typically go for higher grade cards but I got it in a auction along with a few other nice rookies for a fair price

Point, i've been collecting for a while & your post helped me too. Great info & thanks!

TCU and JLandry, glad I could help!

FYI, there are 8 "official" jeter rookies. I have some duplicates and want a mariano rookie. Once you get your org up and running, if you are willing, maybe we can work something out on the Mariano card. Enjoy!!
Collecting Derek Jeter - primarily 1996 and earlier but will consider anything