`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?

RE: OT: New MLB Playoff format...thoughts?
I wasn't crazy about the addition of two more teams getting into the playoffs. Now 10 teams out of 30 get in. One third of all the teams. I think that makes the regular season less relevant if that large a percentage of teams get into the playoffs. It kind of makes the playoffs more of a "round robin" to me. I thought why bother playing a regular season if most of the teams get to compete for playoffs anyway?

I've since changed my way of thinking somewhat and will watch this post-season play out. I do agree it makes winning the division more important. Having two teams battle for the wild card spot will be a little more excitement and tv revenue. When I first started collecting cards in 1970, there were four teams going into the playoffs. Now there's ten. You no longer have to be an elite team to get in. You can get in with a record just on the better side of mediocrity and have a good week or two and win it all.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Not sure if this would actually be a good idea, but I think it would be kind of neat if the wild card games took place at a neutral site. Non-MLB cities (portland, las vegas, sacramento, columbus, charlotte, louisville, etc) could host the "playoff kickoff" or whatever. Kind of a mini showcase.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I am trying to figure this thing out and it's tough. Trying to figure out where the Rangers will end up.

I guess they will play New York (wild card vs. best record) and Oakland plays Detroit (second best record vs. third division winner)?

Or does Detroit play New York since Detroit has worst record of 4 playoff teams? If so, that would pit A's and Rangers against each other in LDS.

Just too confusing.

It's making for an interesting end of the season at least in the AL as a lot of things can happen. Yankees win they get home field throughout. But if the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins the Orioles can take the division and depending on who wins between Texas and Oakland could change a lot as well. Anyone of those 4 teams I believe have a chance to take home field advantage and if it was not for the new system one of the teams would be screwed more than likely as I believe because of the 1 game lead the Yankees have right now on the other 3 teams and 2 of the 3 teams playing each other would make it where they are locked in for the playoffs.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I definitely do not like the fact that in this year's playoffs, the No. 1 seed has to play the 1st 2 games on the road against the Wild Card winner. That is just crap! Thankfully, next year, it reverts back to normal. That goes against the "winning the division" emphasis.

(10-01-2012, 10:47 PM)stera8 Wrote: for the past month!

and I love the new format...I love the one game format because as a yankees gan WE NEED THE AL EAST... I don't feel comfortable in a one game playoff. It makes the playoffs more exciting and allows for a "cinderella" team. Also usually AL east is dominate and in years past Boston and Tampa Bay (when the yanks took the East) would be two amazing teams that were better than the leaders of the Central and West...so I like it a lot
I know, right! Agree with you completely. Yeah that one game playoff scares me so bad. It is exciting for sure, but I don't want the Yankees in there. I liked our ten game lead June-July a lot better. Ah, the good ole' days
(10-02-2012, 08:02 AM)Ziveus101 Wrote: Some things I've noticed about the format is that it gives an advantage to the winners of the divisions (although I personally don't think the Tigers deserve it this year, no offence to Tigers fans) but also an advantage to the WC winners in the WC showdown since they're able to construct a different roster than the one they'll use to compete in the AL/NLDS, meaning that I expect the Braves, Cardinals, Athletics & Orioles (or Yankees, hopefully not) to have their lineups filled with relief pitchers in the showdown. I also expect the traveling schedule for the team that has to face the WC showdown winners to be hectic as well since they won't know who they're facing and where they're facing them (WCSD winners get home field advantage for first 3, I think, games of AL/NLDS) until the 1 WC game is done.

My personal opinion of the new format will come down to this:
*If the Yankees end up being the AL WC this year & lose to the Athletics (or possibly Rangers) then I'll hate it for all eternity.
*If the Yankees don't end up the WC, I'll enjoy the WC game as a casual baseball fan, look back at the season in November and appreciate the new format for all the excitement it's given to me in the month of September and look foward to the thrills again next year.
I'm a very simple person Big Grin.
Totally agree with that last part Smile
(10-03-2012, 07:14 PM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote: I know, right! Agree with you completely. Yeah that one game playoff scares me so bad. It is exciting for sure, but I don't want the Yankees in there. I liked our ten game lead June-July a lot better. Ah, the good ole' days

Totally agree with that last part Smile If the Yankees win AL East I'll love, if they go to Wild Card game I'll hate it.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

So I guess I need to re-make my playoff scenarios as I had the Rangers winning the West but Oakland did. So now that the season's over, this is how it stands for the opening round of the postseason.

ALDS:
New York (best record) vs. Texas (wild-card and third-best record)
Detroit (worst record) vs. Oakland (second-best record)

NLDS:
Cincy (second-best record) vs. S.F. (third-best record)
Washington (best record) vs. St. Louis-Atlanta (wild card)

This format gives us more commercials to watch, which is more money for MLB, which will affect none of us personally...beyond more time in front of a TV should we choose to watch more games.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I like the format as a Braves fan. They have a winning record against Washington this year and look to have the first two games at home where they just swept the Nationals 2 weeks ago. Don't get me wrong....I don't like the one game WC playoff, but I like the Braves chances in that game, but anything can happen in just one game.....

If I were a Nationals fan I would be pissed. You win with the best record in baseball and you have to go up against the Braves at Turner Field in the first two games....

Braves are a top 5 team in all of baseball. They can throw Hudson at the Nationals in game one and Minor (5-0 in his last 7 games with a 2.44 era in las 10 games) Even if you come out with a slit in Atlanta you are going to have to go up against Medlen who has just been amazing in the last 2 months of the season.

See you later Nationals! Now will San Fran do us a favor and Knock of the Reds? If so it will be a clear path to the WS for the Braves!
X

(10-02-2012, 09:45 PM)uvaspina Wrote: Not sure if this would actually be a good idea, but I think it would be kind of neat if the wild card games took place at a neutral site. Non-MLB cities (portland, las vegas, sacramento, columbus, charlotte, louisville, etc) could host the "playoff kickoff" or whatever. Kind of a mini showcase.
Yeah, that's a cool idea.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!