`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miguel Cabrera Triple Crown

RE: Miguel Cabrera Triple Crown
Confidence is everything in sports. If you don't have it you won't succeed. Some people show theirs in a different way. Some can use it in a way that makes them a fan favorite while others just turn people off.

(10-01-2012, 08:59 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: I cant stand cabrera, never liked him. He is kind of like a showoff. Youd think someone living in venezuela like me would be rooting for him, but im not. My dad is following the triple crown hunt but id rather have mauer beat him in avg.......... we will see
I'm surprised so many people have a negative opinion of Cabrera. -Which is fine by me. It's surprising only because I watch about 150 tigers games a year and he comes across to me as more a "fun loving" kind of guy who loves baseball than someone with attitude issues. He's pretty well liked here, which isn't necessarily a given in Detroit.

One thing I like about Cabrera as a player is how much power he has to the opposite field. Unquestionably, he has amazing talent. In a different way, it kind of reminds me of Pujols, whose homeruns (on tv) look like pop ups off the bat but end up being drilled to the upper deck in the outfield. It's just something that always struck me as pretty impressive (about both guys). I also like the fact that Cabrera committed himself to making the switch to 3rd this season. Other guys would've put up a stink over being moved from 1st, or whatever. He really seemed to embrace it and has been pretty decent.

In any event, I'm a Tigers fan above all and hope that they can put a run together in the play-offs. This next month is my favorite time of year (whether the Tigers play or not).
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

-About a half-hour after my last post, Cabrera hit a line drive, opposite field homerun. And he has 3 hits tonight....the march continues.
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.

(10-01-2012, 09:12 PM)uvaspina Wrote: -About a half-hour after my last post, Cabrera hit a line drive, opposite field homerun. And he has 3 hits tonight....the march continues.
Welcome to the new MLB where WAR is the only stat that matters in in the MVP Race
Detroit Tigers Set Collector
Justin Verlander Miguel Cabrera Al Kaline Ty Cobb

if cabrera ties with hamilton for HRs and he leads in AVG and RBI... does he still win it or not because he tied for HR and wasn't in sole possession of it
[Image: angelsbanner.jpg]

(10-01-2012, 09:29 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: if cabrera ties with hamilton for HRs and he leads in AVG and RBI... does he still win it or not because he tied for HR and wasn't in sole possession of it
He wins the triple crown if he is tied in any of the three areas.....I want to say Yaz tied in HRs in 67......I could be wrong wasnt around in 67
Detroit Tigers Set Collector
Justin Verlander Miguel Cabrera Al Kaline Ty Cobb

(10-01-2012, 09:13 PM)ringers1993 Wrote: Welcome to the new MLB where WAR is the only stat that matters in in the MVP Race
I think WAR can be interesting to consider, but at the same time, I know it has its flaws. This year, more than any other, I've heard more writers knocking the RBI stat. They say it's more about what your team mates do than what you accomplish.

For the last couple years, I've been tracking (for Cabrera and Hamilton, and last year Victor Martinez) what I call their "advancement average" or "advancement conversion." After the fact, I found out it has some similarities to the "Runs Created" stat. In any event, "advancement average," as I choose to view it, consists of the total advancements (bases) that a batter converts during his at-bat, including any advancements produced relative to runners on base. The underlying premise is that every advancement theoretically increases the likelihood of a run being scored (eventually perhaps).

Basically, it works like this:

No men on: batter has potential to convert four total advancements (just like slugging)
Man on first: batter has potential to convert seven total advancements.
Man on first and second: batter has potential to convert eight total advancements.
And so forth...
Man on second only: batter has potential to convert six total advancements
Man on second and third: batter has potential to convert seven total advancements.
And so forth...
Man on third only: batter has potential to convert five total advancements.

Using the first scenario (man on first), if a batter gets a single, and moves the runner to second, he'll have converted 2/7 (or 28%) of possible base advancements.

Likewise, if the batter creates an out, with no corresponding advancement, his advancement average for that at-bat is 0/7.

Conversely, if the batter gets a single, but is able to advance the runner from first to third, his advancement average for that at-bat is 3/7 (or 42%)

If the batter produces a sac fly that scores the runner from third, and advances the runner from second to third, his advancement average for that at-bat is 2/7 (28%)

A grand slam, naturally, results in the best advancement average 10/10.

What I've found is that "advancement average" naturally weighs "clutchness." That's to say, it progressively awards not only the total advancements, but also the most important advancements (third to home, second to third, first to second, home to first- in that order)

For example, if a batter gets a single with no one on, he'll have converted 1/4 (25%)

That same single with a man on third, however, would achieve 2/5 possible advancements (40%).

Naturally, the more a batter produces with runners on base, the more his positive average will be weighted. Conversely, a batter who produces no advancements with the bases loaded is penalized (0/10).

I've also provided for creditable advancements for the following (among others):HBP = 1/1; Intentional walk = 1/1; regualar walk= whatever advancements actually result; stolen base attempt counts only toward the baserunners advancement average /1).

**I'm under no delusion that this is some groundbreaking concept. It's just a way I like to think about a batter's production as I'm watching the game, or following a player.

Anyway, this is way too far off topic. (Sorry to the OP!) -I've been up for about 40 hours (big project at work) and am getting loopy. Trying to stay up to watch the Tigers clinch the AL Central...

AL Central clinched!!!!

I think with Hamilton having been hurt most of the last 2 weeks that Cabrera will actually win the award. I think he hit another homer tonight while Hamilton still struggles with his eyesight.

In looking at the playoff picture, this is what the order is looking to be in order of finish:

1.) Rangers
2.) Yankees
3.) Tigers
4.) A's-Orioles winner

the Rangers will play the winner of the As-Orioles play in and the Tigers will meet the Yankees. Is that right?

How do you Tigers fans feel about your chances with the Yankees?

Trout is 4/4 right now and will probably get another at bat tonight. he is at .325
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s