Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do hot packs really work?
Star 
How do hot packs really work?
They are all over eBay and I've never bought one because it's so sketchy to me. The feedback for the seller is always positive as it seems to contain what is promised.. my question is how do they know specifically what's in it? For example, one claims to contain a 1/1 auto card?
[Image: banner8_zpsd1d99d0d.jpg]

Collecting Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Andrelton Simmons and Vintage Atlanta Braves

RE: How do hot packs really work?
*possible 1/1 card

some people reseal the packs...how they do it? no clue

also some weigh the packs and all that pack searching crap. Stay away from it...most of the times they sell for around 15-20 and you get like a 8$ relic
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

Dude, steer clear. Most likely a resealed pack. Otherwise, it's been pawed to oblivion by the guy feeling for a plate. No place for that garbage in the hobby.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

90% are scams. another 9% just simply hurt the hobby.

the remaining 1% is cool (those are the guys that buy boxes to build sets, and dont care about MEM cards, so they weigh the pack and sell those separately, and use the rest to build their sets)

any seller that sells hot packs and singles? scam
any seller that sells hot packs that guarantees a certain player? scam
sellers that guarantee an autograph? scam (for most products, there are a couple exceptions)
if they say it will contain EITHER a refractor/jersey/auto/numbered: it will will be the lowest common denominator

and most guys have resealed their packs, which means you get a jersey card of a scrub

and most guys, if their feedback says that they got a good hit? that is a friend leaving feedback

and even if none of the above is true, the packs have been molested in some way, many of which cause damage. if they do it at a store (if they dont buy the whole box), they are screwing with the overall odds of a box, and ths hurt the hobby

hot pack sellers are worse than the worst dutch sellers from 10 years ago

Yeah, I figured.. I just see some sellers with 100% feedback and thousands of positives .
[Image: banner8_zpsd1d99d0d.jpg]

Collecting Brandon Beachy, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Andrelton Simmons and Vintage Atlanta Braves

because folks that buy hot packs are generally not very good investors/uninformed/like to gamble

I've always assumed that the legit ones at least just open packs until they find the one with the hit then they will sell it as a hot pack in order to get rid of the crap they don't want as a bonus to go with the hit. Then they will take the other packs they know don't have hits and will sell them with a title such as ( 2012 Platinum RG3,Luck auto Rc? ) and sells them off as if they have a chance to contain a hit. Those are the ones that bother me not the hot packs but the other ones they know don't contain anything.

You will always have people that bend the rules to get the best stuff it happens in every hobby (Cards, Action Figures, Hot Wheels, Etc...). People will always have different views on if it's right or wrong but regardless how it's obtained you know that what they have is what they have it's not selling something under false pretenses.

They seem odd to me, so I stay away. However when opening a box of 2012 Topps Series 1, I got a Retired Rings card and it was the only card in the pack. You could feel the ring part, too. So, something like that could be sold as a Hot Pack. But, like I said, I stay away. I mean, you're paying at least three times the price of a normal pack and it could be a decoy card, or, worse still, be resealed.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!

Since it is your money you are free to choose how to spend it, but i think shelling out 15-20 bucks for a hot pack when u can likely get the box for 50-60 just seems pretty dumb considering you have a 99.5% chance of getting a scrub. I bought a hot pack one time on ebay...its was a wwe wrestling topps pack only so my son could be super excited to pull a relic card. Who was the relic....john morrison used mat card...guy is no longer even in wwe LOL. either way my son was happy and it only cost me about 8 bucks with shipping
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]