`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
Topps & Sega Card Gen: Kenny's Collection
09-21-2012, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 11:34 PM by Ziveus101.)
Topps & Sega Card Gen: Kenny's Collection
Hello there, welcome to my thread. In this thread I'll be sharing my progress as I attempt to complete the 408 base set of 2012 Sega Card Gen.

[Image: arcade_012.jpg]

F.A.Q.
What is Sega Card Gen?
Sega Card Gen is a Japanese MLB themed coin-operated arcade game.

How do you play?
The objective is to build a team (the maximum number of players you can have on your team is 20) and manage your team to the playoffs and win the World Series. Here's a quote from a man who played SCG during it's trial period in the US.
Quote:You purchase cards that are like collectible baseball cards featuring MLB players and form teams that you put in play (nine positions, plus a DH/alternate batter and closing and relieving pitchers) – the cards are placed into stand-up readers based on the position and this places the team data into the game. After the team input, players play a typical baseball game with a touch screen where pitches are selected and batting is aimed and players also tap on a timing button to add extra power, speed, etc. to pitches and swings.

Here's a Lets Play on Youtube if you're curious how it looks to play the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c919Q0ypHZk

What are these cards?
These cards are the cards you need to assemble a team. They also make for pretty interesting pieces in a collector's PC.

How do you get these cards?
You get these cards via the coin operated arcade game. You get one card per game regardless of if you win or lose.
You can also find them available in several card shops in Japan such as the Mint shops or on online auction sites like Yahoo Auction.

What the deal with those stars on the cards?
In Japan not many people follow MLB very closely, as a result many people do not know who's good and who's not so good. Those stars are there to make it easier to tell who's a good player based on a scale from 1 to 8. 1 being the lowest and 8 being the highest.
That number is also the player's "Value."

What's the significance of those "Values"
The more players you have your team the more these values add up. And your team's not allowed to exceed a certain limit of value points. Basically, it works as a salary cap. This is a measure Sega took to ensure fair-play so a n00b who just spent over hundreds on assembling an all-star caliber team doesn't have an advantage over the n00bs who're just starting off with 3/4 low level cards.

Are these "Point Value" limits permanant?
No. During the game you level up after gaining a certain amount of points (which can be gained by winning games), and as you advance each level your value limit goes up.

How long have these cards been made?
As far as I know this product has been planned as early as 2007. Naturally a US release was planned but for whatever reason it never happened. 2 years later this product found itself released to the public in Japan in testing mode. And it remained in testing mode until 2012.
The cards released in this period are known as "rokete" (which is arcade game lingo referring to the trial period an arcade game goes through. It's also a shortened version of the term "location test.") cards.
Fun Fact: The first set of cards in 2009 were made by Upper Deck. But after they lost their MLB license Topps took over and have been releasing the sets ever since.

How come this wasn't released in the US?
I don't know, it just wasn't.

I noticed on the back there seem to be 5 categories with numbers next to them. What are they?
Those 5 categories allow the user to know what kind of valuable skills the player on the card has on a scale from 1-to-20. The closer they are to 20, the better they are at that skill.
Interestingly enough the cards from the 2009 set are written in english but those from 2010 and after are in Japanese.
A translation and example of a pitcher's 5 skills.
[Image: 440x600-2012100800008.jpg]

A translation and example of a hitter's 5 skills.
[Image: goalj99-img450x600-1368713995drfis222753.jpg]

How many cards are in the base set?
The 2012 base set has 408 cards. I currently stand 3 cards away from completion.

What are those special foil versions?
They're a 60 card subset. They're special foil versions of some of the best players in the MLB. And because it's a 60 card subset, only 60 players have a silver foil card in this set.

Are the foil's any different from the regular cards in the game?
Kinda. Although Sega has not released any official statements, a foil card is bound to be better than the regular base. Such as if it your starting pitcher is a foil your chances of keeping the other team scoreless increase. Or if one of your hitters are a foil card they're likely to at least get one hit during the game.
The foil cards also get one more point in one of their 5 skill-sets compared to the base version.
[Image: p9210123.jpg]
A Derek Jeter Rare Foil Card

I hope these answer any questions you all have. And I also hope I didn't cause any headaches with my answers (I think I gave up trying to make sense with that last question lol).

Progress: 146/408

[Image: lulz02.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 07:20 AM
RE: Topps & Sega Card Gen: Kenny's Collection
Very cool cards. What is the meaning of the stars on the front? Some kind of player ranking?

[Image: 1849c983.jpg]
09-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Kinda, it just tells you how good the player is on a scale from 1 to 8. And while that number becomes an important factor when you actually play the game it's already written on the back so the stars are really just there for design more than anything.

09-21-2012, 10:03 AM
What I don't get and maybe you know is how it knows which card you place on the holder. I didn't see any bump for a chip to be inside. I noticed QR codes on the back of some, but they were near the top away from where the cards sit.

[Image: badtime.jpg]
09-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I have absolutely no idea how they do it either, but you just slide the cards into the slot. I've been able to do it even if the card's in a sleeve or sideways toploader. I think the key might be the J12-###/408 number on the back.

09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I really like these cards and I love that you're going to stick with collecting them and share the stories with us! Also, now that they're established and have a checklist for 2012, maybe Beckett will look into adding them starting with this year?

Thank you, Kenny for doing this! I'll be looking forward to more updates.

COLLECTING: All StL Cardinals -- E. Hosmer, M. Moustakas, B. Starling, R. Howard, L. Harrell -- NASCAR: R. Wallace, J. McMurray, C. Bowyer, Dillon Bros, D. Pearson, Female Drivers Past & Present -- Political Cards & Inserts -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros -- SA Spurs: D. Robinson, T. Duncan, K. Leonard
09-22-2012, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 05:32 AM by Ziveus101.)
Thanks Mikarlo. Someone contacted the guys at Beckett regarding this set and said that they're looking into it, hope it gets in.

Well I went to the arcade again today and this time I brought a camera to take pictures of the game. I even took a video for an entire game that I might share if there's enough interest.
[Image: p9220104.jpg]
The slots

[Image: p9220109.jpg]
An extreme close-up of one of the slots. I'm guessing that black square somehow reads the data on the card (wherever it is) and lets the game know which player it is.

Unfortunatly today's session turned out to be one of my worst ones yet. Most of my pitching rotation turned to shambles and the lineup couldn't produce any runs, although a lot of times it was my own fault (actually no, the camera was in the way, yeah let's go with that). I ended up designating King Felix & Verlander for assignment and replaced them with David Price & Roy Halladay. Price lost after giving up one too many runs and Halladay lost finishing with an ERA over 18. All while I tried using the foil Jeter which made no difference whatsoever. At this point the season looks like a pretty lost one.

Ah well it's just a game and on the bright side I got some new cards I needed.
[Image: p9190110.jpg]

Oh and if any of you all ever go to an arcade in Japan you'll notice that several of them have hand wipes available since God knows where those gaming nerds have been.
Usually those handwipes are little boring ones in plain white plastic bags but the ones at this arcade (that's operated by Sega) feature this guy.
[Image: p9220112.jpg]

Progress: 155/408

09-22-2012, 07:02 AM
I clicked into this post expecting to see Sonic the Hedgehog and you didn't disappoint!

Also, those cards are very cool. I wish I had one.

I guess no licensing issues?

[Image: Cards.jpg]
09-23-2012, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2012 02:02 PM by Ziveus101.)
@jake2009

Nope, all licensing info is written on the card.
And you just might get one, as I'm currently planning a little contest...

In other news, I uploaded a part of the video I took with my camera. It's a promo video that the game plays whenever someone's just ended their game. Unfortunatly the machine went mute when this was playing so the audio is missing so my bad for only being able to supply the (very shaky) visuals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbvhbqrzGCM

On a sidenote I found a trailer from 2010 on Youtube. It's definitely worth a watch if you've got the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-c_beAaOU8

09-24-2012, 08:44 AM
I like the videos...I'd really like to play this game! I've said this before, but it's too bad this would get little support in the US. For one, arcades are pretty much a thing of the past around here. Not to mention the popularity of Football & Basketball video games far out-paces Baseball video games. Heck, there may not even be a Baseball sim released for the X360 next year due to 2K's license running out.

But anyhow, Ziveus, keep at it so that I may live/play vicariously through your thread! lol

BTW - Sonic hand wipes = extremely neat! My hands would go dirty as I couldn't bring myself to ever open it!

COLLECTING: All StL Cardinals -- E. Hosmer, M. Moustakas, B. Starling, R. Howard, L. Harrell -- NASCAR: R. Wallace, J. McMurray, C. Bowyer, Dillon Bros, D. Pearson, Female Drivers Past & Present -- Political Cards & Inserts -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros -- SA Spurs: D. Robinson, T. Duncan, K. Leonard