`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
Topps & Sega Card Gen: Kenny's Collection
11-05-2012, 07:30 AM
RE: Topps & Sega Card Gen: Kenny's Collection
(10-12-2012 03:19 AM)Ziveus101 Wrote:  Basically the number of stars will tell you how good the player is on a scale of 1 to 8. It's called a value point which becomes a big factor/pain in the behind when you're playing the game. The total number of value points on your team has can't be over what the game's assigned you (the limit grows as you advance farther into the game). This prevents everyone from using nothing but superstars from the get-go and in turn allows the low valued cards play big roles. Fortunatly for me a majority of the low valued cards were players I was going to use anyway, which enabled me to have one of the best rotations ever Smile.

-So basically what you're sayin is that you have to start out with a low ball team with low points (like the Oakland A's) then play the game long enough and spend enough money to get high points, mass a team together full of super stars (Like the Yankees) to win. Then if you still don't win you could just chuck all your players *cough,* (I mean cards) in the trash and start all over again!
The game and cards sound pretty fun. It would be nice to see that trend and pick up here in the US.

[Image: vAkfuyT.png]
http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/jrmosi...or%20Trade
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2012, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 08:40 AM by Ziveus101.)
(11-05-2012 07:30 AM)JRMdawg311 Wrote:  -So basically what you're sayin is that you have to start out with a low ball team with low points (like the Oakland A's) then play the game long enough and spend enough money to get high points, mass a team together full of super stars (Like the Yankees) to win. Then if you still don't win you could just chuck all your players *cough,* (I mean cards) in the trash and start all over again!
The game and cards sound pretty fun. It would be nice to see that trend and pick up here in the US.

You hit the nail in the head right there.
It's a shame that this game's only audience is in Japan when the game itself is America's pastime.

IMO you don't really need a bunch of superstars to win though. In fact you get bonus points in the game for using a "weak" lineup regardless of the outcome of the game. It will get tougher to beat the game as you move along though I'll give you that (the CPU advances along with you so if you're at a level where you should have over 10 superstars the game is going to start including more and more superstars into you're opponent's line-ups, minus the other humans you play against online that is).
Most of the time some of the "weaker" cards are really good players who are just ranked lower than they should be because the players on it are relatively new and the best they have to offer is yet to come. Examples in this year's set would be:
*Stephen Strasburg, Buster Posey, Aroldis Chapman, Mike Stanton & Matt Wieters who only have 4 stars/points
*Jeremy Hellickson, Freddie Freeman & Eric Hosmer who only have 3 stars/points
*Chris Sale & Brett Lawrie who only have 2 stars
*Jose Altuve, JP Arencibia & Ben Revere who only have 1 star

Those are some pretty good names and while they won't reach superstar status for another year or two (some might not make it at all) I prefer using most of them over the Pujolses, Longorias, Ichiros, Uptons etc...

[Image: lulz02.jpg]
11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Alright time for an update. Another boring sunday can only mean Kenny goes off to throw away money on more cardboard.

Okay in my last update I mentioned that the arcade was having some sort of promotional thing. They've started this campaign where if you get a card called an "exchange card" you can then exchange it for an exclusive card case that comes with 1 exclusive card.
Basically redemptions have found themselves into Card Gen. Only unlike the normal Topps redemptions you don't have to wait until the next leap year to get your card, you just give the exchange card to the guy/gal working at the arcade and they'll bring out the prize of your choice in 5 seconds flat. In all there are 8 different cards.
[Image: Image147.jpg]
Yankees Ichiro

[Image: Image142.jpg]
Yu Darvish (the kanji character says that they've run out of his cards)

[Image: Image145.jpg]
Norichika Aoki

[Image: Image141.jpg]
Hisashi Iwakuma

[Image: Image143.jpg]
Junichi Tazawa

[Image: Image140.jpg]
Munenori Kawasaki

[Image: Image146.jpg]
Ike Davis

[Image: Image144.jpg]
Justin Morneau

Sorry that the pics are kinda blurry, took 'em with my camera phone.

Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get an exchange card even though I fell to temptation/greed and spent more than I should've.
But I did get a few cards that I needed. I was even able to trade for a couple of card gen cards as well.
[Image: PB180076.jpg]
[Image: PB180077.jpg]

Also, the game's somewhat changed. In addition to the exchange card campaign, they've also modified some parts of the game like how it should be harder for the CPU to score some more runs. However I found that hard to believe since I got destroyed down the stretch by both the computer and the various players I got matched up with online.
Which resulted in me completely revamping my roster to look like this.
C - Jorge Posada
1st - Mark Teixeira
2nd - Robinson Cano
SS - Derek Jeter
3rd - Alex Rodriguez
LF - Brett Gardner
CF - Curtis Granderson
RF - Giancarlo Stanton
DH - Eric Hosmer
SP 1 - Stephen Strasburg
SP 2 - CC Sabathia
SP 3 - Ivan Nova
SP 4 - Michael Pineda
RP 1 - David Roberston
RP 2 - Chris Sale
CL - Mariano Rivera

On paper this looks like one of the best line-ups around. But unfortunatly my new Yankees oriented team crumbled as well. I guess I should've expected it since Stanton & Hosmer spent time on the DL and the pitchers were shaky as can be (including CC).

But again, it's just a game. I got some cards I needed and that's all that matters. Oh, and Giancarlo Stanton looks great in pinstripes Big Grin!

On that note I'll end this long & boring update. Thanks for stopping by Smile.
Progress: 252/408

11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Now that is a good redemption system! Go with Yankees Ichiro! Why are some CardGen cards black border and some white border?

[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!
11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I read all your posts just now for the 1st time and it was a great read. Seems like a fun game. So when you play the game, you win cards correct? If so does the machine spit them out or the employees hand them off?

[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

My Album - http://sportscardalbum.com/u/englandhous.../for-trade

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.
11-18-2012, 11:51 PM
(11-18-2012 10:42 AM)nyyankeesfan28 Wrote:  Now that is a good redemption system! Go with Yankees Ichiro! Why are some CardGen cards black border and some white border?

I wish, unfortunatly the arcade's stock of Yankees Ichiro cards ran out as well. Something tells me that Aoki's going to be next one to go.

And the reason some cards have white borders and black borders is basically to give the people playing the game who don't know anything about the MLB a good idea of who's a good player and who's not so good. Although in some cases the cards are white only because the player on it was a rookie a year ago (Hellickson, Kimbrel & Sale for example) or the year before (in Heyward & Stanton's cases) or because they're a declining veteran (Pettitte in 2010's set is a good example).
Any cards that have less than 5 stars are automatically white bordered cards, although some cards with 5 stars have black borders if there aren't than many black bordered cards on their team (Garza, Butler & Lee for example).
The white bordered cards are referred to as "commons" and the black bordered ones are called "rare cards. From my observations here are the odds of getting them.
White Commons - 2:3
Black Rares - 1:4
Foil Variations - 1:60
Exchange Cards - 1:?

So yeah, long story short, they're just white and black borders to help the people playing the game know the who's who in the majors.

(11-18-2012 11:39 AM)englandhousehold Wrote:  I read all your posts just now for the 1st time and it was a great read. Seems like a fun game. So when you play the game, you win cards correct? If so does the machine spit them out or the employees hand them off?

No, you get a card everytime you play the game. Like once you put in the coins and press the start button a card automatically comes out of the machine. If they went with a card-per-win system I'd probably have 100 less cards than I do now lol.
Occasionally the employees give you cards but only if you're a first time player and tell them that it's your first time playing the game. They'll give you one card (which is usually a weak player with only 1 star/value) for you to keep to help get your feet off the ground. Although if the employee is a dedicated arcade worker and is f*cking awesome he/she might give you three even though you're clearly no n00b.

11-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Ah got it, sounds fun! Does machine ever give off the star or rarer cards or is it always some common card? So actually being in Japan is baseball as big there as the media here leads you to believe? thanks for answering, best read I've had to date on baseball forum.

(11-18-2012 11:51 PM)Ziveus101 Wrote:  I wish, unfortunatly the arcade's stock of Yankees Ichiro cards ran out as well. Something tells me that Aoki's going to be next one to go.

And the reason some cards have white borders and black borders is basically to give the people playing the game who don't know anything about the MLB a good idea of who's a good player and who's not so good. Although in some cases the cards are white only because the player on it was a rookie a year ago (Hellickson, Kimbrel & Sale for example) or the year before (in Heyward & Stanton's cases) or because they're a declining veteran (Pettitte in 2010's set is a good example).
Any cards that have less than 5 stars are automatically white bordered cards, although some cards with 5 stars have black borders if there aren't than many black bordered cards on their team (Garza, Butler & Lee for example).
The white bordered cards are referred to as "commons" and the black bordered ones are called "rare cards. From my observations here are the odds of getting them.
White Commons - 2:3
Black Rares - 1:4
Foil Variations - 1:60
Exchange Cards - 1:?

So yeah, long story short, they're just white and black borders to help the people playing the game know the who's who in the majors.

No, you get a card everytime you play the game. Like once you put in the coins and press the start button a card automatically comes out of the machine. If they went with a card-per-win system I'd probably have 100 less cards than I do now lol.
Occasionally the employees give you cards but only if you're a first time player and tell them that it's your first time playing the game. They'll give you one card (which is usually a weak player with only 1 star/value) for you to keep to help get your feet off the ground. Although if the employee is a dedicated arcade worker and is f*cking awesome he/she might give you three even though you're clearly no n00b.

[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

My Album - http://sportscardalbum.com/u/englandhous.../for-trade

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.
11-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi Kenny! Been a little while since I've read or posted, but during that time you've really come a long way! Over half way to completion now, grats my friend! And when it comes to our love of collecting...don't we all end up spending more than we had planned before walking through the door? ^_^

Keep up the good work, partner! And I hope your classes are going well this semester too. Take Care & Be Well!

COLLECTING: All StL Cardinals -- E. Hosmer, M. Moustakas, B. Starling, R. Howard, L. Harrell -- NASCAR: R. Wallace, J. McMurray, C. Bowyer, Dillon Bros, D. Pearson, Female Drivers Past & Present -- Political Cards & Inserts -- KU Jayhawks in the Pros -- SA Spurs: D. Robinson, T. Duncan, K. Leonard
11-19-2012, 06:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 06:53 AM by Ziveus101.)
(11-19-2012 12:59 AM)englandhousehold Wrote:  Ah got it, sounds fun! Does machine ever give off the star or rarer cards or is it always some common card? So actually being in Japan is baseball as big there as the media here leads you to believe? thanks for answering, best read I've had to date on baseball forum.

The cards are always given out randomly as the machine has absolutely no control over what card comes out next. I can say this is a fact because I managed to look into the inside of the machine once where the cards are stored and they just have a giant stack (it was probably around 300 cards) and each card comes out in order of how they've been packaged like the dollar bills in an ATM machine.
And I'm not entirely sure how the US media portrays Japan's interest in baseball but I guess it's pretty popular, but not as much as soccer. And what I mean by that is that soccer in Japan is like what football is in America, the most popular sport in the country, and baseball in Japan is what basketball is like in America, 2nd place.
So baseball is pretty huge here, but Japanese Baseball more than anything (obviously). MLB fans are few and far between amongst baseball fans here in Japan.
And thanks Smile, hope you enjoy my updates in the future.

(11-19-2012 02:53 AM)Mikarlo Wrote:  Hi Kenny! Been a little while since I've read or posted, but during that time you've really come a long way! Over half way to completion now, grats my friend! And when it comes to our love of collecting...don't we all end up spending more than we had planned before walking through the door? ^_^

Keep up the good work, partner! And I hope your classes are going well this semester too. Take Care & Be Well!

True, so very true. And thanks man Smile.

BTW, I actually stopped by the arcade again today (the exchange card campaign will be the death of me! lol) and the guy next to me managed to get an exchange card (!) while I ended up with over a dozen dupes. I guess that's what I get for giving into greed...

11-21-2012, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 04:54 AM by Ziveus101.)
Oh boy, time for a HUGE update.
Even though it's not the weekend I lost to temptation and went to Shinjuku today and bought a handful of cards.

Starting with the exclusive Buster Posey and David Wright's foil variation.
[Image: PB210080.jpg]

Then I proceeded to buy a few singles. 19 singles later, I now have 5 more completed team sets.

The Tampa Bay Rays
[Image: PB210082.jpg]

The Toronto Blue Jays
[Image: PB210084.jpg]

The Los Angeles Dodgers
[Image: PB210087.jpg]

The Milwaukee Brewers
[Image: PB210089.jpg]

The Philadelphia Phillies
[Image: PB210091.jpg]

Progress: 273/408