`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got Some Bad News From PSA On Trout Auto, What Do You Think?

RE: Got Some Bad News From PSA On Trout Auto, What Do You Think?
(09-18-2012, 11:29 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, like I said, I literally looked at every Trout auto on the bay before I bought it, and was convinced it had all the right characteristics.
How many you see where the 'T' hooks that far under at the top ?

(09-18-2012, 06:01 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: How many you see where the 'T' hooks that far under at the top ?
Good question ... not many, but his auto varies so much from card to card (even in the same year and product), that I looked for the "most" number of common characteristics.

And, there are several with the "hooked T" ... for example ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Trout-Auto-...7675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-TROUT-Signe...7675.l2557

They seem to be mostly on the non-sticker stuff, such as bats, balls, and the card I bought ... and as with most athletes, I was assuming that as time went on it was easier for him to write a flatter "T" as the requests intensified.

It was more the angle of the loop and the pen streaks that made me think it was legit — plus the small numerals next to "Trout" ...

Now, just for argument's sake, I included a Topps "certified autograph issue" card where the sig looks nothing like any of his other ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-Tribu...7675.l2557

Anyway, that's why I sent it in ...

One question I forgot to ask ... has anyone ever sent an item in to PSA or Beckett, had it returned not slabbed, and then re-submitted it either to the same company or the other one and had it successfully authenticated?

By the way, I'm only interested in PSA or Beckett, none of the other ones ... thanks, RJ

One question I forgot to ask ... has anyone ever sent an item in to PSA or Beckett, had it returned not slabbed, and then re-submitted it either to the same company or the other one and had it successfully authenticated?

By the way, I'm only interested in PSA or Beckett, none of the other ones ... thanks, RJ

(09-20-2012, 10:13 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: One question I forgot to ask ... has anyone ever sent an item in to PSA or Beckett, had it returned not slabbed, and then re-submitted it either to the same company or the other one and had it successfully authenticated?

I have heard of it done. IMO, I would save the money and get one in person. Mike Trout just did a signing last month at Frank and Sons, with MLB COA it was $75.

(09-20-2012, 10:55 PM)Vols-1 Wrote: I have heard of it done. IMO, I would save the money and get one in person. Mike Trout just did a signing last month at Frank and Sons, with MLB COA it was $75.
Yeah, by the time I saw that it was sold out ... San Jose, right?

Man, I could have driven there ... and $75 is pretty cheap for a signing, especially
considering how hot he's been this year.

Anyway, that would have been cheaper than the card I bought + the grading.

It was also frustrating to get a form rejection letter, rather than them taking 15 extra seconds to actually check the box(es) next to what reason(s) they had for denying it.

Some of the factors are pretty major and obvious, some aren't ... so, for example, if they denied it because of, say, just one of the "minor" factors, it would make me believe I should re-submit it and maybe get a different pair of eyes on it.

But, say they checked all the boxes — as in, it's completely fake, dude, don't even waste your time — I wouldn't even think of sending it back in.

I mean, I didn't go into this blindly ... I truly researched every Trout auto I could find, and took into account factors like pen pressure/streaking — I mean, whoever signed this card signed it very quickly & smoothly, that much I can tell with my own eyes.

So either Trout signed it or the person who forged it had practiced it many, many times to make it that authentic looking.

Ug, live and learn, I guess.

I'm tempted to take an auto card that I've gotten in person (like, the Sacramento Kings have done a bunch of signings around here) and send it in ... because I know it's real and it should pass.

But either way, that would be silly ... either I'd pay $42.50 to authenticate a card I already know is real, or it would get denied and I would have wasted another $42.50.

Then again, if one of my Kings cards got denied and I knew for a fact it was legit, that would support my theory that PSA was wrong about my Trout.

Anybody ever get an IP auto themselves, like at a game or something, send it in to BGS/JSA or PSA, and NOT have it authenticated?

Happened to me. I got a 1991 UD and 1988 Topps Ken Caminiti Autos personally autographed at a Walmart/KMart forget which in Houston in the early 90's where he had a signing. I listed them a couple years ago and someone did a quick option or whatever its called and they told me that they came back likely not genuine. Which I know is nonsense because I personally handed them to him myself to sign. Given they could have been lying who knows.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(09-21-2012, 02:04 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yeah, by the time I saw that it was sold out ... San Jose, right?

Man, I could have driven there ... and $75 is pretty cheap for a signing,
Frank & Son's is in Walnut, CA. On the 60 fwy between the 57 and the 605. It's pretty much in LA.

(09-21-2012, 06:29 PM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: Happened to me. I got a 1991 UD and 1988 Topps Ken Caminiti Autos personally autographed at a Walmart/KMart forget which in Houston in the early 90's where he had a signing. I listed them a couple years ago and someone did a quick option or whatever its called and they told me that they came back likely not genuine. Which I know is nonsense because I personally handed them to him myself to sign. Given they could have been lying who knows.
That's interesting, and makes me feel somewhat better.

I'm SO frustrated right now. I called PSA a little while ago just to ask them some follow-up questions (because I've never submitted a card before and have been really disappointed by this whole thing) ...

The lady said that they do one of two things if they don't authenticate it — they either cash your check and reject the card outright (like mine), or they just can't be sure and they return your card AND your money.

She said that by accepting the fee and sending it back unslabbed, they strongly felt (?) it wasn't genuine — although she said likely one or two people looked at it.

So which was it, one or two?

I don't even see how that's possible that they "strongly felt" it wasn't authentic — I mean, see for yourself on the two links below — so are they just saying that so they can cash my check?

Because obviously if they return my money that means they don't make any money, so I'm guessing that doesn't happen often.

I literally copied and pasted like 30 eBay completed listing links of almost all his on-card autos — seems to be the big difference between those and stickers — and they are basically identical to mine, especially the Bowman Platinum 2010, Tier One from 2012 and the Topps Finest from 2011:

Look at the identical "M" in the first one, and the identical "2" from his jersey number inscription in the second one ... not to mention the consistent looping and tailing on the "T" in both.

THERE IS NO WAY THIS IS FAKE!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-TOPPS-FINES...7675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-TROUT-2012-...7675.l2557

I'm strongly considering sending it in to Beckett/JSA ... if they reject it, too, then fine, then I'll move on, but man this sucks.

I still think it's legit, and I swear and promise I'm being objective about it.