Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bowman boxes bent cards
Question 
Bowman boxes bent cards
Over the last couple of months every 2010 or 2011 Bowman Chrome (draft rookies, etc.) that I have bought the cards have been warped what gives? Any one else get this. It has been almost 3 boxes worth. Thank god I haven't got a strasburg or Harper auto. Please fill me in.

RE: Bowman boxes bent cards
How warped are they? You do know that all chrome cards will naturally be bowed due to the printing process used to make them, right? They won't ever be perfectly flat.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

The oddity is when you get any Chrome Cards that aren't bent, not the other way around.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(09-14-2012, 09:03 PM)Variooo Wrote: Over the last couple of months every 2010 or 2011 Bowman Chrome (draft rookies, etc.) that I have bought the cards have been warped what gives? Any one else get this. It has been almost 3 boxes worth. Thank god I haven't got a strasburg or Harper auto. Please fill me in.
Most of my Bowman chrome from 2010-11 have done the same thing. The good cards went into toploaders right away but if taken out they too will warp. I did notice that most refractors had very little warping & an auto chrome was flat, a different process maybe?
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

This has everything to do with the relative humidity in the room.

Paper reacts to moister in the air (humidity) and can change in size as much as 2% across the grain. On the other hand the chrome coating acts as a sealer and prevents the moisture from reaching the other surface. The un-coated side of the paper absorbs/looses moisture from the room around it and changes in size causing it to curl. If the room moisture is lower the paper surface dries out and the card curls backwards if it is higher it curls the other way.

Putting the card in a top loader seals it from the surrounding room moisture preventing it from curling.

Ray

(09-15-2012, 07:43 AM)ktcardshop Wrote: This has everything to do with the relative humidity in the room.

Paper reacts to moister in the air (humidity) and can change in size as much as 2% across the grain. On the other hand the chrome coating acts as a sealer and prevents the moisture from reaching the other surface. The un-coated side of the paper absorbs/looses moisture from the room around it and changes in size causing it to curl. If the room moisture is lower the paper surface dries out and the card curls backwards if it is higher it curls the other way.

Putting the card in a top loader seals it from the surrounding room moisture preventing it from curling.

Ray
Good explanation

Are you sure your name isn't Bill Nye?
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

yeah 2010 Topps and Bowman chrome were really bad warping wise but last seems to have seen an improvment and I've only opened a couple packs of Topps Chrome this year but I didn't notice any warping at all hardly.

(09-14-2012, 10:36 PM)rmpaq5 Wrote: The oddity is when you get any Chrome Cards that aren't bent, not the other way around.
Exactly, all the ones ive bought have been warped...... i guess its the common thing. Unwarped ones are a rarity i guess
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s