`
 (Toll Free)
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Konami Presents: Powerful MLB (Another Japanese Exclusive)
09-14-2012, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 08:32 AM by Ziveus101.)
Konami Presents: Powerful MLB (Another Japanese Exclusive)
Hey ya'll. Kenny here to showcase another oddball here in Japan. This one is pretty dated compared to Card Gen but it's still pretty interesting.

This time I'll be talking about a set that Konami released called "Powerful Major League Card Game." Wonderful grammar eh?
[Image: p9140114.jpg]
An (opened) pack.

Released in 2006, Powerful MLB CG's name comes from the popular Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū video game series. A baseball themed video game similar to Backyard Baseball only with cuter looking players & smoother graphics. It is a card game with player cards & action cards. Think of it as Yu-Gi-Oh but with MLB players from 2006.
The cards are sold in these formats:
*Booster packs (6 cards each) aprox. $3
*Boxes (15 boosters packs in each) aprox. $30
*Starter Deck (includes a lot of cards) aprox. $15

I have no idea if any other sets were released in years prior to or after 2006, but what I do know are that there are 150 cards total as well as 30 different parallels and another 30 different rarer parallels.

I picked up 4 booster packs. The booster packs do not come with any non-player cards (which I didn't mind one bit).
Some notables (sorry for the blurred images):
[Image: p9140104.jpg]
[Image: p9140105.jpg]

Seeing Nomar in a non-Red Sox jersey is always wierd isn't it?
Other notable players I got were Johnny Damon, Lance Berkman, Adam Dunn (twice) and Carlos Lee.

And for anyone who wants to see what the backs look like:
[Image: p9140117.jpg]

Now, earlier I mentioned that there were parallels. I managed to pull two different foil variations.
[Image: p9140111.jpg]
The Vlad is one of the refractor parallels.
The Manny is one of the x-fractor parallels.

[Image: lulz02.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2012, 06:49 AM
RE: Konami Presents: Powerful MLB (Another Japanese Exclusive)
those would be interesting for some player or team collectors like myself.

09-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Those are very cool - probably not too many Royals though!

[Image: RoyalsBanner.png]
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney, Billy Butler
Bucket - http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq329/chrisjgould/
09-14-2012, 07:33 AM
^_^ I like the little cartoon backs. The fronts look like mug shots, but it looks like they took time to put the players in the correct jersey, stadium, and position. I was never into pokemon and too old when yu-gi-oh came out. I would probably like those when I was younger.

[Image: badtime.jpg]
09-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Another interesting set. I think the backs are pretty cool as well, very Nintendo Wii ish.

Ok, here is a random (and most likely stupid) question.

So can people in Japan even read the names of the players or the teams? I mean why don't they put the names into Japanese characters instead of the English letters?

Despite my username (which is a mash up of my real name that I always thought was funny) I'm not from Japan and have never been close to Asia so just find it odd that they would use any English at all on their trading cards.

IUjapander Cards
09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
If you find any brauns I would love to buy/trade.

[Image: braunsig.png]
09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
(09-17-2012 03:01 PM)iujapander Wrote:  Another interesting set. I think the backs are pretty cool as well, very Nintendo Wii ish.

Ok, here is a random (and most likely stupid) question.

So can people in Japan even read the names of the players or the teams? I mean why don't they put the names into Japanese characters instead of the English letters?

Despite my username (which is a mash up of my real name that I always thought was funny) I'm not from Japan and have never been close to Asia so just find it odd that they would use any English at all on their trading cards.

A quick look at the back of the Konami (& Card Gen) cards shows the player's last written in Japanese.

I don't know exactly how Japanese people feel about all the English letter but English has become of the subjects you learn in school from elementary school over here so I'm guessing a vast majority of the Japanese population can at least read the names.

And I could be wrong about this but, I think the main reason the Japanese put write in English is because it looks cooler (to them at least).

(09-17-2012 07:34 PM)ELevin99 Wrote:  If you find any brauns I would love to buy/trade.

I'd like to help but unfortunatly this set was released in 2006 before Braun made his debut so I don't think he's included.

02-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Alright, I recently bought one of the starter kits (and 2 booster packs) for this game/card set.
Each starter kit comes with 42 cards. 12 player cards, 15 "success" cards and 15 action cards.
In Yu-Gi-Oh terms I guess the player cards would be the monster cards, the success cards would be the trap cards and the action cards would be the magic cards.
[Image: P2100312_zps06bda2e4.jpg]
The box

Notable players (some pulled from the loose booster packs)
[Image: P2100316_zps2ae1c17a.jpg]
[Image: P2100315_zpsf9d3089b.jpg]
[Image: P2100317_zps17f78918.jpg]

Some of the "success" and action cards (and their backs).
[Image: P2100314_zpse47042db.jpg]

The gameboard
[Image: P2100318_zps38009c9b.jpg]
While there's still a few bits and bobs missing, this is basically how the game looks when everything's set up.

So there you have it. One of the many failed predecessors to Topps Attax, Konami Powerful.

02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Interesting, thank you!

[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!
02-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm surprised noone pulled out the upupdowndowndleftrightleftrightba code.. Showing the age here. But otherwise that pretty cool! I always loved those japanese oddities.

Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's as I only need Sid Fernandez and Ron Darling! Also new project for 2014: Topps Gypsy Queen set + some inserts. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.