`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you do with your box breaks???

RE: What do you do with your box breaks???
(09-07-2012, 05:16 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: So I am curious what does everyone do with the cards? I have thought of starting a collectors night for kids in my local area. I was thinking I could see about using a school cafeteria or maybe a church gymnasium or something. I'd have one night a month where kids grades K-5 could meet and swap base and small inserts. Mainly a way to keep the kids involved in the hobby. They could swap cards and I'd allow them to get some free cards each time etc.

I don't know exactly but I am all about keeping the hobby alive for the kids. I even thought from time to time maybe I'd have 15-20 great members here send me $1. Then I'd take the $20 and buy a blaster for the kids and do a give-away. I can't afford to put the money up myself every time but we can all usually afford $1.

Any ideas are welcome. Mainly I wanna know what do you all do with your box breaks. Are there guys here who wanna send this stuff to help out.

Lets here it. Maybe you do something in your community and wanna drop some ideas.
I'm all about getting kids into the hobby. The dollar Idea sounds good. I usually bust 3-4 boxes and make the set. Afterwards I'll usually have a bunch of extra though which I'll trade to those who need to complete the sets if I can. Otherwise they just sit in boxes taking up space. It's amazing how quickly 3200 count boxes fill up and take up space. I'd be all about giving cards away to kids if they would be interested in them.

+1 great idea i will be sending them to you.Lets keep the hobby alive getting more kids involed is an awesome idea.
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]

(09-07-2012, 07:39 PM)dbroockerd Wrote: Question is when they Heyday hits do you know to dig or does it still sit? Haha!

I believe most people remember. I gave away all my cards. Might get a sliver back from my friends brother it I remember I mainly did 92 and 93 topps. 96 upper deck. And I can picture certain cards in my mind
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

I do some sets, but I always have many extra cards. Sometimes I give the cards to a lady friend of mine that she gives the cards to the kids at her church. Let me know if you need some cards for give away or whatever idea you end up doing.

anything less than a dollar goes to the jimmy fund, or i put into auctions to benefit the jimmy fund

I put my commons in my teasure box in my pre k class. kids pick through them and most pick the SHINY ones but if they are get 4 out of 5 stars for the week i hand pick 5 they take home on friday.

I put them all in my org for set builders to send offers, but have not received many (any?) for commons. The problem with that is so many other people are trying to trade up a house from a red paper clip too. Even if you ever get to the $100 prize at the end you would have traded and paid for postage just about as many times. It could be worth it for a PC item and some people value the communication and friendship aspects of a trade so there is clearly some immeasurables involved.

I got a table for a show next month mostly to get rid of these. If I sell a couple inserts I might break even. It's more of just an opportunity to shrink my collection. I am making brown paper lunch bags with my 80s and 90s cards to give to any kids there. I have my 2011 & 2012 topps sorted in a box for anyone looking for certain cards but I will likely start giving them out with the kids bags. After that show I would send a bunch for you. I work at a school and have thought about taking them into my own place. I'd send a few bucks too for your prize/raffle.
[Image: badtime.jpg]

i keep them and try and finish the sets (base usually unless i get the top rookie then the complete set) as for any doubles (even some numbered cards) i give them to my 2 kids and the put them in their binders to look at and/or play with them, doesn't matter to me what they do just aslong as they enjoy them

Mine go to Harbor House divided in packs of 10 and separated by sport.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I know there's a bunch of teachers on here. I wonder if they ever try giving them to their students. I know a lot of kids probably aren't interested, but I bet some are. I'm going to see if there's a community center around me (maybe a boys & girls club) and ask if they'd be interested.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*