`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Monitor Prospects?

How Do You Monitor Prospects?
Pretty basic question here I suppose: How do you guys monitor the outlook of a prospect, and determine if he's the next big thing? Obviously, life happens, and most guys won't end up panning out (I'm a die-hard Tribe fan, so I know this all too well), but, is there a website or book devoted to this? I know about Baseball America's Top 100 Prospects, but is there anything that gives honest outlooks/more details about guys? I've recently gotten back into the hobby and I love the idea of collecting Bowman and maybe having a few prospects that become great one day. I'm not necessarily looking to invest in prospects, but Bowman is really appealing to me. A bit long-winded, but thanks for any tips!
[Image: indians_zps82881612.jpg]

- Jason Kipnis super collector
- Cleveland Indians Autos/Relics/Inserts/Parallels and Base Sets
- Superstar and HOF autos/relics

RE: How Do You Monitor Prospects?
Greetings fellow Tribe collector and Kipnis lover.

I track stats on baseball-reference and look beyond the batting average and power numbers, as their stats are pretty comprehensive. There are a number of analysts and websites out there about prospects, though some of them you have to pay for. ESPN.com and Baseball America are two of them, but just google top baseball prospects and you'll find a few others, you've just got to find a couple you like. There are some good Twitter follows too, including Top Prospect Alert (@MinorLeagueBlog) and, for a Tribe fan, Indians Prospect Insider (@TonyIPI). I'm big into prospects as it deepens how closely I follow the game, which I enjoy. As for the Tribe, the system isn't as stacked as it had been with all the recent graduations and last year's trade, but there are definitely some good Tribe prospects flying under the radar who you can get for cheap. Cheers.
Trading for cut autos of baseball HOFers I don't have, autos of current and future Cleveland Guardians, and anything else that catches my eye!

I like the USA teams and for high school kids with potential check out the Perfect Game website then just google search of course
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

I find keeping up with MLB players to be a full-time job, do people really have the time to do the MiLB which has a ton more players??
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

I mostly keep tabs on MiLB.com of my favorite teams minor league affiliates. I guess the site is very very broad if you're trying to find the next big prospect. The trick is finding players that are doing well, have a big upside but are otherwise going unnoticed. I try to narrow my focus on my favorite teams though and keep it simple. Otherwise prospecting can become very time consuming, full of over hyped fluff and loaded with a ton of nail-biting gambling on players that have a 50/50 chance (usually less) chance of making it.

You can find most of what you are looking to find out on MiLB.com Also just google your favorite team and the players they have in the farm system. Example google Bubba Starling and you will find he was a high school quarterback who had a full ride scholarship to Nebraska and the Royals signed him for a lot of money and this year he Hit 12 homers including 1 in the Rookie League Championship with the Burlington Royals.

I just try and follow my favorite teams minor league guys but as you do this you run into a couple of top guys. I follow the yankees from majors all the way down to Rookie Leagues. Its just part of the game that you will run into some no brainers. Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon. Were two of the pirates that i ran into at some of the yankee games this year. I spend a lot of time following the tampa yankees around and going to daytona to see some games there.