`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gahhhh Hank Aaron Altered

Gahhhh Hank Aaron Altered
I sent in a 1955 Topps Hank Aaron to BVG to be graded, came back altered. It says the top and bottom was shaved. Just kills me how someone can knowingly ruin a card THEN sell it (to me). Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, how did you feel about the card after you knew it was altered? For me, I guess I still love the card. I know now that it's authentic, just altered a tad. I wasn't planning on selling it, now I know I will never sell it without at least letting someone know that it was altered before I sell it. The money I spent on it just won't add up now that it's known to be shaved. I just don't know what to feel haha

RE: Gahhhh Hank Aaron Altered
So is it stil slabbed or did the send it back
[Image: Z2PfG.png]

COLLECTING ALL JOEY GALLO AND ADDISON RUSSELL !!!

That sucks! This is why I am always worried about buying vintage.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

Sorry to hear. I'd be curious to see what it looks like. Now that you know, does it seem obvious?
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Trimming has been in the hobby for a long time, and unfortunately you are just the latest in a very long line in unsuspecting victims.

It is always dangerous to buy 'raw' vintage on the internet (where I assume you acquired it), particularly high value cards like a 1950s Hank Aaron.

I always recommend when buying vintage to get yourself a graded example to protect yourself. While several high profile, high grade, cards (look no further than the T206 Wagner PSA 8) get 'slabbed' by graders, in most cases you are safe.

After you've been handling vintage cards for years in person, some very, very good deals can be had by buying raw vintage in person.

I know several collectors who buy raw vintage in person, submit it to be graded, get good results and then flip on eBay. These individuals are making consistent profits that would make even the best prospectors envious.

Alterations do not ruin a card's value in some cases. The T206 Wagner PSA 8 is still a 2 million dollar card, even though most (including the FBI) believe it is altered. I recently paid several thousand dollars for a scarce pre-war card that had color added, simply because it was difficult to obtain.

Chalk this up to a lesson learned. Don't walk away from vintage. Longterm, it is still the best way to go.

Yeah I'll live with it. It was only like $45. I still love the card even though I know it's altered. But here's a scan. It's tough to see the sides, but in person it looks authentic to me in terms of condition. I couldn't tell.

[Image: aaronfront.jpg]
[Image: aaronback.jpg]

Just posted that I bought a Mantle that turned out trimmed. Beckett sent it back unslabbed (my mistake) and I just sent it back to them because even trimmed......authentic ones are selling in the $150 range.

You may have gotten a good buy!

Very cool card!
Collecting HOF Vint-Rooks-GU-autos + Musial and other Cardinals

Bucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd387/SchlueterLaw/

[Image: MusialCollageSmall.jpg]

I once sent in a Mordecai Brown card from the T206 set for grading only to be told they could not verify the authenticity. Bummer. I dropped some money on it, but that was the last time a bought raw vintage without seeing it in person. I still have that card, and I have to tell you it is one good fake.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(08-31-2012, 07:33 PM)mikeschlueter783 Wrote: Just posted that I bought a Mantle that turned out trimmed. Beckett sent it back unslabbed (my mistake) and I just sent it back to them because even trimmed......authentic ones are selling in the $150 range.

You may have gotten a good buy!

Very cool card!
If I send it back will they slab it? I spent $20 on it to be graded just to be sent back with no case or anything.

There is a special box you have to check saying that you want it slabbed and marked authentic.

I didn't do that the first time and it came back unslabbed - so off for another $8.00 slabbing.

Collecting HOF Vint-Rooks-GU-autos + Musial and other Cardinals

Bucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd387/SchlueterLaw/

[Image: MusialCollageSmall.jpg]