`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gretzky/Howe Wire photo - Customer story

Gretzky/Howe Wire photo - Customer story
One of the great things about owning a card shop is the friends you can make and the FUN you can have. I imagine most card shops are like ours - a place where firends meet, talk sports, have some FUN and share this great hobby.

This story is about the Friends part. As we know, health is such a valuable commodity - one we often take for granted. One of customers and good friends (Richard Huffman) has hit a bump in the road and his health is failing him. Blessings have him now living past the doctor's initial diagnostics (we joke he must owe the doctor money so gets to keep going past the "dying date".. Others say he's not going anywhere until that Panini Redemption from 2 years ago comes in...)... but, yes, it is no joking matter...

But joking we do - together with friends as this hobby is a bright spot in this man's life.

And like all hobby patrons, he likes to bust the odd box of sports cards... A few months back, Richard bought a box of Parkhurst Champions and opened all the packs to see what treasures he could find. Well, he pulled a wire auto redemption of Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe.... "Chaaaa Chinggg" followed by a happy dance....

For all the suffering this guy goes through each and every day, you can ot help but share the joy he shows when he pulls great cards!!!!

This Thursday, I received his redemption from Upper Deck. I immediately called over only to learn he was too sick to make it out. I told them not to tell him it came in because I did not want him out and about if he was not up to it...

Friday afternoon, Richard walks into the store saying he needed to get out and see his friends. That in itself, makes us so proud - a card shop held in that high of esteem... Luckily, no one told him about the redemption so I handed it over and we got to see that happy dance all over again....

Here's a scan of the great card he pulled and a pic of our friend Richard.

[Image: 001-16.jpg]

[Image: richard.jpg]

Moral of the story... This hobby is so much more than people give it credit for.

RE: Gretzky/Howe Wire photo - Customer story
very cool story Scott

here is a link to the picture http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4...=1&theater

glad he got it
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

That's a great story. Good read for a Saturday morning. And what a sweet card too! I love Parkhurst Champions!

Thank you for sharing Richards amazing story. It is very inspirational. Please pass along that all of the members here on Beckett are pulling for him to keep going and hopefully live a long, box-hit pulling life.

This hobby is about savoring a sport we all truly love. collecting and chasing down cards helps us step away from issues that we may have in our life and provide a place just to feel like a kid again. However, even better than that are the friends we make through the hobby. I myself have made some truly genuine friends.

My only regret is that I way I had a LCS like yours near me with hockey collectors. I am definately a minority at my LCS. The only one in fact.

Send Richads a huge Congrats on his redemption pull from the beckett community!
Joe Vitale PC- 104/125= 83% 0 - INCOMING

TRADERS: http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/...5/TRADERS/

GAME WORN SITE: http://www.theigloolockerroom.com/

[Image: hughbanner001.png]

Awesome story guys. I too went through some very trying times with my health and thanks to the good man up above he decided I should stick around for some more fun (very grateful for that by the way). I also was not able to go to my LCS for a few months and kept wondering while I was in hospital "what was new out" every week. When I finally got out of the hospital and able to get down to the store it also gave me "that" feeling. Everyone was glad to see me and it makes you forget about the struggles at the moment. Bottom line is enjoy every minute on this great earth and do not take anything for granted. Good on you for seeing this for more than a business. Cheers to Richard and you guys.

(08-25-2012, 11:05 AM)pens fan addict Wrote: Thank you for sharing Richards amazing story. It is very inspirational. Please pass along that all of the members here on Beckett are pulling for him to keep going and hopefully live a long, box-hit pulling life.
Wow ain't that the truth. By the way what's a guy gotta do to get a one-touch around here anyway? Get the man some lucite! : )

Please let him know our thoughts are with him and that we hope he'll be fending off lowball offers on that card for years to come.

LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

Wow that is a great story for sure, and to such a deserving guy who obviously needs as much joy as possible. I too do quite the happy dance whenver I pull any Canucks cards I need for the PC hehe

[Image: Signaturephoto.jpg]

Collecting all Canucks cards! Currently 6310/20359 31%

LETS TRADE!

Very touching story. Sending positive wishes his way Smile
[Image: NewReddenBanner.png]

This is what the hobby should be about: friends and fun. Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck to Richard.

JonathanI
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

This is why hobby shops are important. I love going to my LCS to hang out and chat and share my passion for hockey and cards. Its the closest I can get to reliving my childhood love of collecting.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.