`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Did the Angels know what they were doing with Trout last yr??

Did the Angels know what they were doing with Trout last yr??
You may say that is a funny question...but hear me out. I was bored at work today and was looking up stats for Rookies, well last year Trout missed being a Rookie by 8 ABs (must exceed 130 ABs). Just think 2 or 3 more games we wouldn't be talking about him being the ROY this yr. Just some food for thought.
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

RE: Did the Angels know what they were doing with Trout last yr??
that would make some sense if he started this year with the club but they didnt call him up until injuries in the outfield forced their hand and then well...you know Tongue
[Image: 2choicesig_zps9f1610c4.gif]

Oh I wasn't talking about this year, it was last yr he missed being a rookie. Thank for the response.

(08-23-2012, 09:37 PM)pyr0punk Wrote: that would make some sense if he started this year with the club but they didnt call him up until injuries in the outfield forced their hand and then well...you know Tongue
[Image: FirstHeltonBanner.jpg]

I Always send extra cards when I trade
Filip Forsberg, Todd Helton, Charlie Blackmon, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook & Ben Paulsen I don't have.

I read an article thatMLB actually changed the rookie qualifications over the off-season, in part, to accommodate trout. While it's true that he fell just short of the AB threshold to remain a rookie, there is another qualification pertaining to days spent on a MLB roster. The way the old rule worked is that if a guy was sent down and called back up within X days, the intervening time spent in the minors would count toward MLB service. Under the old rules, Trout's one and only rookie season would have been last year. Like I said though, MLB tweaked the rule so that the intervening time wouldn't count.

EDIT: Here's a link to a November 2011 article discussing why Trout wouldn't be eligible to retain RC status in 2012. -Shortly afterward the rule was changed. http://angels.ocregister.com/2011/11/15/...rd/110903/

So, to answer the OP's question, the Angels did not manipulate the system to retain Trout's RC status. If anything, they blew it. MLB sensed the marketing opportunity and tweaked the rule.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*