`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for tips on how to start collecting...

Looking for tips on how to start collecting...
Hey guys, new here. I was an avid collector back in the 80's and early 90's but lost interest. I'm a diehard NFL fan so looking to get back into the game. Just wondering how to start or what types of cards I should look for, as far as Topps or whatever else is out there. Back when I collected, there was only Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Upper Deck and ProSet... however, it seems like there are an incredible amount of diff. card companies. Are there any I should focus on or look for instores? I've been reading on grading too so that seems important. Today I bought my first card in 20 years lol a Brett Favre RC Upper Deck 1991 that was graded a 10. Guy wanted some old computer equipment for it and seeing as I live in Green Bay I figured I should have it to start my collection. Now off to find Aaron Rodgers cards...

Thanks for any input and advice!

RE: Looking for tips on how to start collecting...
Collect what you like, what appeals to your eye without regard for its future value. You will never be disappointed this way.

honest opinion .....

collect who you want, when you want, what you want, what $ you want to spend, and keep it fun Smile

if you want to collect as an "investor" get out while you can, speculating will only kill you're hard earned $$$, and you'll spend way more than you'll earn IMHO

if you want to collect again to bring back some great memories, spend time on the boards and make some great new friends Beckett is a great place to be Smile

welcome aboard, enjoy your time in the hobby, and remember "it's only cardboard" Wink

P.S. buy the price guide, don't get ripped since you're new to the hobby, and start with sale boxes at your LCS ..... you can build a sweet PC for the fraction of the price Wink

Thanks guys! Look forward to being part of the community! So far it is a blast reading up on the threads and seeing people's collections. Incredible stuff.

I will not be in an investor at all, but looking for the guys that I enjoy watching. Thanks for the input!

Welcome to the boards. Like everyone else has said. Collect what you want, who you want, what appeals to your eye etc. I buy hobby boxes every now and then but I recommend buying singles at first. That way you will get exactly what you want.
[Image: 38lDS2Y.png]
Registry http://registry.beckett.com/player-detai...pc_2286189
PC http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/se.../Suh%20PC/
RC - 35/37
Auto - 83/341
1/1- 11
**Banner made by jbel4331**

whatever you do, do not collect Brees Tongue
just messing around...welcome aboard! great people here
[Image: 9F306E21-7461-40F2-9F1D-AECEC32DB0F3-305...10b87e.jpg]

Drew Brees
True RC 66/66 (100%)
2001 323/359 (90%) AU - 64 Mem - 76
Total AU - 127

Welcome. I think pbean said it best - dont do it to invest and have fun and enjoy the people on the forums. As for your 1st purchase - nice pickup but beware graded cards by anyone other than PSA BGS or SCG. A BCCG 10 is probably really an 8 and there are alot of scammers why "grade" cards.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

(08-08-2012, 06:01 PM)branesergen Wrote: Welcome. I think pbean said it best - dont do it to invest and have fun and enjoy the people on the forums. As for your 1st purchase - nice pickup but beware graded cards by anyone other than PSA BGS or SCG. A BCCG 10 is probably really an 8 and there are alot of scammers why "grade" cards.
The Favre is graded by Professional Grading Authority, PGA. I've done some google searches and it appears they are 'shady'. I like it though and it appears to be in very good condition. In the future, I'll watch for those graded card companies... although, not sure if grading is so important. Is that more for investors?

Love the Brees comment! Great player, I'll be looking for some of his cards.

2 different type of people use grading.....People looking to make a amazing card even more pricy when they sell it or people like myself that just grade for protection and I grade my higher-end stuff so people know exactly what shape they are getting it in when they trade for it. Look in my bucket if you want some examples. Welcome back.

(08-08-2012, 07:00 PM)74Razor Wrote: The Favre is graded by Professional Grading Authority, PGA. I've done some google searches and it appears they are 'shady'. I like it though and it appears to be in very good condition. In the future, I'll watch for those graded card companies... although, not sure if grading is so important. Is that more for investors?

Love the Brees comment! Great player, I'll be looking for some of his cards.
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Don't start! You'll get addicted! =P

Collect for the fun, not the money!
Collecting Jimmer Fredette.