`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National day 3 (Friday)

National day 3 (Friday)
Man, what a couple of days. I haven't even really been able to post because I've been so wiped out.
Friday's main goal was to find the last card of my 1958 set, Mickey Mantle. While there wasn't really a shortage of them, the card had to be in my low-end price range. I found about 2-3 copies in the 125-175 price range, but I was hoping to go even lower. Eventually I found a decent looking low end copy for only $85! It's not the best shape in the world, but at the end of the day, I couldn't believe it, I had finally finsihed my 1958 set after all these years. That got me wondering, could I wipe out 1969, too? I decided to try. (Earlier in the day, I had acquied the Reggie RC from a board memeber via trade) I walked back to the dealer with whom I had so much success acquiring my 58's, and asked him about the 69's I needed. He had all of them except for 4 commons! I was on a roll!
Speaking of rolls, as I was walking around, I picked up something I've always wanted, an uncut sheet of baseball cards! I started collecting in 1984, and went hardcore in 1985 when I was chasing the Gooden RC, so I picked up a sheet of 1985 topps that had Eddie Murray (and a few other O's because that was a criteria) Mattingly, and 4 HOFers. The guy wanted $20, but I got it for $15. It's going to look great in the mancave.
After that it was autograph time. I'm working on an Orioles Hall of Fame jersey, and after getting Bobby Grich for free on Wednesday, it was time to get Milt Pappas. He was really nice and gracious, but he made a sharpie line on the bottom of my jersey. Doesn;t matter, it's going to look awesome when it's framed.
Even though I had all of this success, I did come up short in one area. Not one dealer had any Matt Wieter's By The Letter Cards. More on this in my next thread...the Saturday recap! (with final thoughts)
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

RE: National day 3 (Friday)
Nice job on those sets! Of course now the question is, "What's next?"

(08-05-2012, 08:23 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Nice job on those sets! Of course now the question is, "What's next?"
Way ahead of you. !967 high numbers then 1957...although I probably won't start any of this until next summer Smile
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

Congrats on your buys. Sounds like an awesome time. I havent been to a show in years. I am kicking myself in the arse for not going to my first National being it is a short train ride from Philly. Maybe next year in Chicago.

Congrats..that is impressive
1,254 unique Chipper Jones
317 unique Javy Lopez