`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet peeve thats getting out of hand...

Pet peeve thats getting out of hand...
Just a brief lil rant... We already had the dicussion on how I think its annoying that people list non 1/1 cards as 1/1 based on the dumbest things. But now my new complaint is why does everyone list 2 color jersey cards as PATCHES... Its so annoying when im searching for patch cards on ebay and I have to go through like 5 pages of PRIME JERSEY cards just to find 1 patch card... Its also annoying that I see people overpaying on these cards thinking that they are getting a patch card. Granted thats on the buyer for not researching and not looking for the lil txt that says PATCH on it (example would be the Anthology rookie treasures). But I want to email the seller everytime I see this and tell him ITS NOT A PATCH, QUIT LYING!!

Heres a perfect example: 2011-12 Panini Rookie Anthology Rookie Treasures Sean Couturier RC Auto Patch 99 this guy paid $225 for a card that is NOT a patch

And here is what the SAME card usually sells for when its listed correctly Sean Couturier 11-12 Rookie Anthology Rookie Treasures Auto Jersey #101 #d 13/99

Makes me wonder how much I could have gotten for my Cody Hodgson PRIME jersey Rookie Treasures if I had lied and said it was a PATCH... Id feel way to guilty ripping someone off like that though
[Image: hitmanbanner2.jpg]
Check us out for PC cards, cards for trade & cards for sale

RE: Pet peeve thats getting out of hand...
The same exact thing happens with rookie cards. Folks claim certain non-rookie or insert cards are rookie when they aren't. It's never going to stop.

Please check out www.hockeyvadim.com for my whole collection

Banner done by "Tha Penguin"

[Image: vadim002.png]

(08-02-2012, 05:18 PM)hockeyvadim Wrote: The same exact thing happens with rookie cards. Folks claim certain non-rookie or insert cards are rookie when they aren't. It's never going to stop.
The rookie thing can get a lil confusing though, cause its hard to tell what exactly people say a rookie card is... I say its anything from the persons first year playing, weather its a base, parallel, jersey, auto etc... Technically if its the same year as their base rookie, then the inserts etc are rookies too... Thats where people get into the whole "TRUE ROOKIE" thing. Like say the Hopkins silhouette #/99 is considered his rookie card, but the Hopkins silhouette patch #/25 isnt considered the TRUE rookie cause its a parallel... To me they are both rookie cards. The listing jerseys as patches is a just a streight up lie that cons a lot of people out of money.

Well, I know that when I rejoined the hobby, I had no idea what the difference was between a patch or a jersey. To me, it seemed like it was a patch of cloth or jersey or whatever in the window.

But for sophisticated sellers, it's probably either laziness or worse. Though the Prime swatches in Panini confuse even me.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(08-02-2012, 07:19 PM)ricebondsmntna2young Wrote: Well, I know that when I rejoined the hobby, I had no idea what the difference was between a patch or a jersey. To me, it seemed like it was a patch of cloth or jersey or whatever in the window.

But for sophisticated sellers, it's probably either laziness or worse. Though the Prime swatches in Panini confuse even me.
Panini Primes are sections of the jersey that has a seam in it where 2 different colors meet. Like the sleeve stripes or bottom of the jersey stripes or jersey collars. Its just another way to make another jersey parellel. Patches are either shoulder crests, main logos, back/sleeve numbers or letterman plates

I've seen some sellers just put the words "Rookie, Patch, Auto, Rare" in every heading just to get more looks. It definitely annoys me too. I also hate when they have a card #'d to whatever, but the player's jersey number is part of the serial #, e.g. Selanne #'d 08/100. Then they ask for like 5 times what the card is worth. I know some collector's may appreciate that, but in his terminology every parallel in the set is a 1/1. Ridiculous...
Teemu count: 1642 different cards

Always looking for Selanne's
for my PC.

E-mail: suomibear8@aol.com

Can't you come back on the seller though if they list the item wrong? Like if you pay 224 for a patch card and its not a patch, file a complaint and get your money back for false listings?
Looking for: Brandon Nolan, Manon Rheaume
Trilogy Ice Scripts / Ultimate Collection Premium Patches
2011-12 Upper Deck Ice / 2008-09 Upper Deck Ice
1995-96 Bowman / 1995-96 Select Certified / 1995-96 Playoff 1 on 1
2014-15 Upper Deck MVP / 2005-06 Upper Deck Ice Fresh Ice Patches

They're just trying to make a dishonest buck...
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

Yeah, I don't really buy or sell on eBay so I'm talking out of my rear end as usual, but as far as dishonest behavior in the hobby goes, that kind of puffery is pretty low on the totem pole of shady activities...to me at least.

As a consumer, I give merchants a pretty wide berth to embellish the truth regarding merchandise awesomeness. If you call a seller out on a material falsehood and they lie in your face, that's different. But in ads, which is kinda what these listings amount to, it doesn't stick in my craw that they claim something is more awesome than it really is.

Merchants who are unusually forthcoming have their loyal following, but less scrupulous others make a business decision in the other direction and do so at their own peril. Someone here once said it: let the buyer beware.
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

I bought a "hot pack" on ebay a while ago that was supposed to contain an auto patch. I received an auto jersey. When I complained the guy accused me of sour grapes for not getting the card that I wanted. After several emails back and forth, with him to the very end accusing me of being wrong, I explained that a simple jersey piece is referred to as a swatch. A patch is a very specific part of the jersey - usually the logo, number, nameplate or any other additional piece sewn onto the jersey.

I was actually happy with the card received, but unhappy about the mislisting and wanted to make sure that his auctions didn't continue to be listed incorrectly.

Not sure if he changed his practices, but I don't buy "hot packs" anymore.

Thanks,
Nathan